*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Upon looking further into upgrading the CPU on my Dragon I cam across this page detailing the steps required in taking apart the laptop with pictures included... https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Pavilion+HDX9000+Motherboard+Replacement/105124

It doesn't appear that removing the entire motherboard from the case is required to replace the CPU, or is it? Once the keyboard and palm rest is removed the CPU fan is accessible. Removing the fan should reveal the CPU underneath and then replacing it would be straightforward. If the entire motherboard needs to be taken out to upgrade the CPU, might as well swap motherboards for something more recent and get a system-wide upgrade that would be a far bigger improvement than merely a CPU boost. JMHO

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well done!
    But I forgot to mention about removing the subwoofer.
    The CPU is located on the other side of the board, so you have remove almost everything to replace it.

3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No AIO is portable like a laptop. You can't travel with it, or take it to a coffee shop. Even lugging one from room to room is not a great idea.

I still maintain that a mobo like the 8740W is plenty powerful. Some people on the 8740W thread have installed some fairly recent Nvidia GPUs in their machines, for example.

In general, I don't think people use the full capacity of their computers, and are easily lulled into endless upgrades.

4. Apollo-HDX

Reputations:
    Well, I haven't decided to go ahead with the upgrade, most likely won't. I think I will leave it as is and possibly look for another Dragon with the upgrade already done, plus an nVidia video card and the 1080p screen. I paid almost nothing for this machine so don't mind getting another with all the specs I want if the price is right.

Honestly, if and when someone succeeds with a viable and suitable motherboard upgrade, then I might go through the ordeal of nearly taking every screw off the darn thing, but not for a measely 800Mhz bump and additional 2MB of cache.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. Apollo-HDX

Reputations:
    I agree with your last comment, however I frequently see high CPU and memory usage with the Dragon being limited to only two cores and 8GB of RAM. So, I am definitely not included with the majority of users. At least with my quad-core HDX18 laptops, CPU usage was less although they are also limited to 8GB RAM. Not a world of difference between the two.

Regarding your assertion that a motherboard swap is a viable upgrade solution, sounds like a great idea on paper but how in the world would one get to align all the important ports?? Sure there is room enough for any motherboard to fit but alignment is what troubles me. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the motherboard swap if something could fit without much hassle but I just can't see it. I'm hoping to be proven wrong because I would LOVE to have a more modern setup in this case than what's currently inside!

Lastly, I am researching AIO computers as a last resort, so to speak, if nothing else comes up in the laptop market. Also looking into custom setups that use portable monitors. One can have a tiny desktop in the vein of the Intel NUC and just attach a portable monitor with bluetooth keyboard, which can be found in small sizes. The objective is to assemble something quasi-portable around a 19-21" display.

The only reason the Dragon is unique and still desireable to some is its display size. I want to see if there is a convenient and modern alternative. By modern I mean, i5 or i7 CPU, recent video chip, upwards of 8GB RAM, touchscreen, lightning port, etc., yet have a display similar in size to the Dragon. The issue of portability is purely subjective; I find my Dragon portable yet no one who has seen it thus far agrees. /shrug

6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Regarding a motherboard swap, I think it is doable, and a much better alternative than a GPU-less mini PC and a floating, attached screen.

I also think that it's not just the size of the screen in the Dragon that is attractive, but it's ergonomic adjustability. Usually people have to go to a desktop monitor to have such flexibility.

It also has a full size keyboard, a great sound system, and it's just plain cool.

kimutler likes this.
  7. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yes and there be nothing like t again I think, its portable to me with my job as I take it everywere now days, yes its heavy but worth it at the end of the day just like that big 1920x 200 screen nothing touches it for the money unless you want to spend $10.000 at the time these dragons with the top spec was about the same value $5.000 10 years back !!!

8. remdale

Reputations:
    Guys, I've just found out something really interesting. If I install Windows XP, it works smoothly, no random freezes anymore. After installing Windows 7, I get the freezes again. I'm using T9500. I checked CPU-Z under XP and its multiplier doesn't go beyond x13 that is a max point for T9500. I did the same under Windows 7. And the multiplier goes beyond x13 up to x14. That looks like overclocking and this explains the freezes. Even though I flashed the official BIOS with IDA disabled, it's still happening. If it's about IDA under Windows 7 in any way, then Extreme CPUs should work fine I guess.

9. remdale

Reputations:
    I've just found out something else about BIOS. There's an utility called HP BIOS Configuration Utility (BCU) that can change hidden options in BIOS. Not so much useful, but still there are a couple of useful options that can be changed like Virtualization Technology and AHCI mode.
    Not all options can be changed though. For example, "Integrated Camera" is set to Disabled by default, but nevertheless the internal camera is working. If you try to set it to Enable, it will still be set to Disable. So I put /verbose to display errors when reprogramming BIOS with the new parameter and It said that the current status of "Integrated Camera" is N/A, so probably it means that it's not set and cannot be changed.
    I didn't check all the options available, but Disabling integrated Bluetooth, Wake on LAN and Virtualization Technology work fine. It seems that Windows Vista Direct App Launch doesn't do what it is intended for.
    Now the question is where are those changed parameters are stored? I used BIOS backup toolkit to track the changes, but every time I made a backup, it said that there are no changes between the backups. So most likely the changes are stored in CMOS. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Here's my configuration data from the file:
    English
    Manufacturer
    Hewlett-Packard
    Product Name

Processor Type
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9500 @
    SKU Number

Service ID
    Processor Speed
    2600 MHz
    Cache size(L1/L2)
    64/6144 KB
    Memory Size
    8192 MB
    ROM Date
    08/29/2008
    ROM BIOS Version
    F.40
    Keyboard Controller Version
    87.0B
    Serial Number

Video BIOS Revision
    NVIDIA 12/03/07
    Ownership Tag

Asset Tracking Number

Serial Port
    Disable
    *Enable

Infrared Port
    Disable
    *Enable

Parallel Port
    Disable
    *Enable

Flash Media Reader
    Disable
    *Enable

USB Ports
    Disable
    *Enable

1394 Port
    Disable
    *Enable

Cardbus Slot
    Disable
    *Enable

Express Card Slot
    Disable
    *Enable

F9, F10 and F12 Delay(Sec)

Multiboot
    Disable
    *Enable

Express Boot Popup Delay(Sec)

CD-ROM Boot
    Disable
    *Enable

Floppy Boot
    Disable
    *Enable

Internal Network Adapter Boot
    *Disable
    Enable

Internal Network Adapter Boot Mode
    *PXE
    RPL

Boot Order
    Optical Disk Drive
    Hard Drive(C:)
    USB Floppy
    USB SuperDisk
    USB CD-ROM
    USB Hard Disk
    Network Controller

Swap Fn/Ctrl Key
    *Disable
    Enable

USB Legacy Support
    Disable
    *Enable

Parallel Port Mode
    Standard
    Bidirectional
    EPP
    *ECP

BIOS DMA Data Transfers
    Disable
    *Enable

Fan Always on while on AC Power
    *Disable
    Enable

Data Execution Prevention
    Disable
    *Enable

LAN Power Saving
    *Disable
    Enable

SATA Native Mode
    Disable
    *Enable

Dual Core CPU
    Disable
    *Enable

Secondary Battery Fast Charge
    Disable
    *Enable

Windows Vista Direct App Launch
    *Disable
    Enable

HDD Translation Mode
    Bit-shift
    *LBA-assisted

Virtualization Technology
    *Disable
    Enable

Embedded WLAN Device Radio
    Disable
    *Enable

Embedded WWAN Device Radio
    Disable
    *Enable

Fingerprint Device
    Disable
    *Enable

Optical Disk Drive
    Disable
    *Enable

Network Interface Controller (LAN)
    Disable
    *Enable

Ambient Light Sensor
    Disable
    *Enable

Integrated Camera
    *Disable
    Enable

Embedded Bluetooth Device Radio
    Disable
    *Enable

LAN/WLAN Switching
    *Disable
    Enable

Wake on LAN
    *Disable
    Enable

Stringent Security
    *Disable
    Enable

Require Password On Restart
    *Disable
    Enable

Smart Card Power-On Support
    *Disable
    Enable

Reset of Embedded Security Device from OS
    *Disable
    Enable

OS Management of Embedded Security Device
    *Disable
    Enable

Activate Embedded Security On Next Boot
    *Disable
    Enable

Embedded Security Activation Policy
    *F1 to Boot
    Allow user to reject
    No prompts

Embedded Security Device Availability
    *Available
    Hidden

Power-On Authentication Support
    *Disable
    Enable

Automatic Drivelock Support
    *Disable
    Enable

Hard Disk Serial Number
    No status to display
    Hard Disk Make and Model
    No status to display
    Completion Date
    No status to display

Red - parameter
    Blue - value
    * symbol indicates the current state of a parameter

If you want to flash the config, the content of the file should start with the word English, according to the manual for the 2.50.3.1 version dated 08/01/2012.

For 64-bit OS:
    BiosConfigUtility64.exe /getconfig:filename - write current BIOS configuration to file
    BiosConfigUtility64.exe /setconfig:filename - set current BIOS configuration from file
    BiosConfigUtility64.exe /verbose /setconfig:filename - set current BIOS configuration from file and display errors

For 32-bit OS:
    BiosConfigUtility.exe /getconfig:filename
    BiosConfigUtility.exe /setconfig:filename
    BiosConfigUtility.exe /verbose /setconfig:filename

Did you notice a smiley :) in the code? I couldn't disable smileys for this post. But it indicates the Drive C of the hard drive is bootable. Maybe it can be changed to D:, so you can choose which hard drive to boot from, I guess. But I don't know for sure.

Here's the download page of this utility:
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_BCU.html
    And the direct link to BiosConfigUtility 2.50.3.1:
    https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57001-57500/sp57256.exe

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    triturbo likes this.
  10. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    That's amazing work, remdale.