*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The reason I suggested the 8740W is because
    of its fantastic flexibility and upgradeability, as well as some inevitable family relationship with the Dragon. I bought two of them, one with the Nvidia 5000M, and the other with the ATI 7820, and the 8740W thread is full of upgrade activity. These machines are very capable, also have many CPU options, and do everything I want them to do. One of these motherboards in the Dragon would be fantastic.

I had a number of communications with Triturbo before buying mine, as he has a wealth of information and experience with these machines.

triturbo likes this.
  2. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    if only hp would match this one would be worth a look but the price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dominick_7 and paparon like this.
  3. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't like its round super wide screen. Dragon's 16:10 ratio feels perfect to me:D

Dominick_7 likes this.
  4. paparon

paparon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now that it's working: I WANT MINE BACK!!! lol

Dominick_7 likes this.
  5. remdale

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Who is using windows 7? I need to know which video and audio drivers you are using because my system is unstable. Video and audio playback is not smooth.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  6. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-hdx-9000-dragon-owners-lounge-part-2.515212/

windows 7 64bit video drivers are on page one of this form 251.21 is what I am using no problems even with the hp tv software

AUDIO Driver If using Windows 7 - 5607 - SP40438.or sp36420 (5511) or sp40438(5607)

I would try installing with UAC off, as admin, with Vista compatibility.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  7. remdale

Reputations:
    Thanks. Some of the links on the main page are dead. Would be glad if somebody fixed them.
    I've just tried 197.45 video driver, but it seems to not have resolved the issue. I still got random audio micro freezes when was surfing the web. But the official video driver downloaded from the HP website seems to have worked out better.
    But my guess is that the reason for micro freezes is the overclock (Dual-IDA) set up in the modded BIOS. It feels like the CPU is being forced to work faster when at the same time it "refuses" to do so. I've encountered this when tried to overclock QX9300 in Dell M6400. My guess it's about EIST. But it worked differently in Windows XP and 7. I disabled EIST and did overclock with no issues under XP. Whereas under 7 the CPU worked as slow as hell even though I overclocked QX9300 and disabled EIST. I used ThrottleStop 2.99 at that time.

P.S. Installing drivers in compatibility mode is impossible. It only works for software.

I'm trying to find FX3700M for HP, but cannot find it anywhere. Do you have any idea of where I could get it except for aliexpress, ebay and local websites?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently acquired a Dragon with 1680x1050 display and ati video. I basically cloned the SSD from my HDX18 and to my surprise Windows 7 and all apps work just fine on this machine. Win 7 updated as many drivers that it had access to and I downloaded what I could find for the rest. It is slightly slower than my quad-core HDX18 (Q9000@2.0GHz) vs the Dragon's dual-core (T7300@2.0Ghz) but not so much that it's bothersome for what I do and the much larger screen is worth it.

I purchased an X9000 CPU and would like to know where I can find a guide with pictures detailing how to upgrade processors on the Dragon? Will this require a BIOS update?

Another thing I'm curious about is swapping the ati video card installed for the nVidia equivalent on more recent Dragons? Has anyone successfully done this before and is it even worth it?

Thanks in advance

Dominick_7 likes this.
  9. remdale

Reputations:
    I guess replacing the video card is going to be a challenge for you. I haven't done that before, but you will have to reprogram the BIOS chip with the Nvidia BIOS version and attach additional power source to the MXM connector if you want to replace the ATI card (if your laptop came with the ATI card from the factory). The CPU upgrade is really easy. You just need to have straight hands, a screwdriver and thermal paste. Unscrew all the bottom screws including the 3 ones that can be discovered after removing the DVD drive. There are screws under the hard drives and 1 hidden under the TV tuner cover. Remove the plastic hinge covering the screen leg on the bottom side and remove 4 screws that are lined up. After removing the bottom screws, take something thin and sharp to remove the keyboard. It's fixed by a sticky tape. Start from the downside of the keyboard. The upper side is fixed with 4 plastic holders. There is a big black cover above the keyboard, remove it and unscrew 2 screws from the main cover. Don't forget to remove 2 screws from the docking connector. Remove the palmrest and start removing the motherboard (there are some screws). Remember to unscrew the screw that is holding the VGA fan. It's hidden under the LCD cable. Remove the heatsink and you will get to the CPU. Hope it helps.
    X9000 should work fine with the latest BIOS.
    I cannot understand this thing. Why is he saying that the Dragon's MXM connector is different from others? Why did he compare the Dragon to 8530w that has never come with FX3700M? 8730W originally came with FX3700M, so I've just compared Dragon's and 8730W's schematics and found out that both MXM pinouts are almost identical. There's no pin swap needed as far as I could see. Some minor power changes might be needed though, but I guess FX3700M should work fine. Just need to dig vBIOS a bit.
    2.0, could you please explain why you decided that the pin swap is needed?

Dominick_7 and triturbo like this.
  10. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the thorough rundown on the CPU upgrade and what actually awaits the uninitiated. I honestly don’t think I possess that kind of determination any longer. Once upon a time, this kind of project would have presented a worthwhile challenge eagerly awaited by me to accomplish. Not so at present time. I guess I will leave the machine well enough alone, if for no other reason than unnecessarily risk damaging something that might prove irreversible. Had I the patience and additional experience that I wager is required for this sort of job, perhaps I’d take that gamble.

Another thing that I was hoping to do alongside the CPU upgrade was swap the keyboard with a keyboard from one of my HDX18 laptops. They measure identically. The problem with this keyboard is that many keys are not typing the symbols displayed on them. For example, I can't find the key for the apostrophe and the key with that symbol on it types something else. This machine is likely of foreign origin with some keys having unrecognizable characters. I really need to swap it out otherwise I can't type long documents as it is, which defeats one of the main purposes for acquiring it in the first place. Thank god it cost me only $100 CND.

Has anyone looked into a more modern alternative to the Dragon that is not a laptop? Something such as a semi-portable all-in-one? An AIO would have greater upgradability not to mention far more recent hardware to start with. I believe seeing some not long ago in the 20" size range. In any case it's just a thought, there must be better options out there that are not close to $10k like the Acer and have ridiculously wide aspect ratios that seem to be in vogue these days.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Dominick_7 likes this.