*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As soon as I am able to get back to it. Because my job is located in a different country, far away from my workshop at home.

By the way, I found out that all the power issues I had been experiencing before were caused by the DC adapter that I replaced yesterday. Now the system seems to be working fine, so I can go on with my experiments.

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And 2.0 is seriously looking into a motherboard upgrade.

One can only quote Dr. Frankenstein regarding this thread and the Dragon.

" it's alive! It's alive!"

3. CompTrekkie

CompTrekkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome to see this tread getting some life again. I have 4 Dragon's running right now. 1 is mine and 3 I let my kids use to play there web based games online, Play some older games, and watch youtube. They love them and show them off to all their friends. I got an x9000 in all three, 8gb ram, SSD, and windows 10 with latest NVIDIA drivers (Just got to use powermiser anytime a big windows update comes along, or a NVIDIA driver update). I got two of them from members of this forum, and one from eBay, just had to bake the cards back to life. It would be awesome to breath more life into them again!

Dominick_7, 2.0 and paparon like this.
  4. remdale

Reputations:
    You're right. The dragon is awesome. Among 5 different laptops that I've had through my entire life, I feel very comfortable and relaxed with this one, finally. The best lappie ever! A lot of things can be done in any way you like if you work hard on that. I would gladly share my configuration after finishing all the upgrades I want to implement. I replaced the DVD drive with a 2TB 12.7mm thick WD hard drive as a storage. Though it didn't fit well, I'm really glad to have it. The screen is perfectly big for me.
    But I scare people every day when I bring the dragon to the office where I work:D
    By the way, I found a lot of 4 dragons being sold for $900 on ebay now. Grab it!

Dominick_7 likes this.
  5. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad to see you back,
    CompTrekkie. It's interesting that you have had no problems in upgrading to Windows 10, given that many people on the thread had issues. Can you share anything of your installation methods?

Dominick_7 and kimutler like this.
  6. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah I would like to know some of your magic with the 8800mgts card I updated 5 of the older models with the hd2600xt card
    to w 10 from w7 no problem I got one here running with a 1tb ssd it only takes 45 seconds to boot up

oh yeah would like some of your magic in updating to w 10 from 7 64 bit with the 8800mgts card, I updated 5 of the older versions with hd2600xt no problem I got one here that's boots up in 45 seconds from cold with a 1tb ssd & x7900 cpu 4gb ram it runs like a dream, just got to get the other one going with x9000 2tb ssd & 8 gb ram with that 8800mgts then its rock & roll time.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    Regardless the cache size, what's the difference between x7900 and x9000 in performance?

8. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    About 15% according to most benchmarks. X9000 runs a little cooler and can overclock a little higher while remaining stable.

9. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Hey, my friend! Nice to see that you're still using the Dragons.

The motherboard swap is the latest area of interest. The Elitebook 8740W' s mobo appears to be the best candidate. Triturbo has done remarkable work with it which reduces a lot of the guesswork. Plus it can take DX12 GPUs like the 780m GTX and 980m GTX. However, there are still many unknowns and likely also many incompatibilities. I want to preserve as much of the HDX's exterior as possible. USB ports, power input, headphone jack locations can probably be preserved. Everything else, not likely. It's a big to do. So we'll see. I'm in no particular rush but I'm strangely drawn to the project. ;-)

triturbo likes this.
  10. remdale

Reputations:
    Thanks. By the way, the IDE-SATA adapter is very slow, even slower than USB 2.0. I think I will swap IDE and SATA ports. Recently I get a BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when trying to copy files on the hard drive that is connected with that adapter. Something's wrong here.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019