*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With regards to the touch controls, the technology is essentially the same, and. there might be some way to remap.

Why would I want to replace my Dreamcolor 2 screen? Possibly you have me confused with someone you know who is a heavy drinker.

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Didn't you mean that you want to combine 8740W and the dragon's screen?
    Both laptops use totally different keyboard controllers, so there's no way to do that in our case.
    And it seems like PWM of the keyboard controller is in control of the bass and treble touch buttons in the dragon.

3. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

just a question here do you have bass & treble tone control working in w7 & 10 64bit as having both models of the dragon with different graphic cards
    ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics HD2600XT -- Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS with no joy !!!

the older model with ati card upgrades to w 10 no problem from w764 bit, but I yet to try the later model with the nvida 8800 gts as if I am right its a driver issue,( screen freeze ) I was thinking of cloning the os drive and see what happens but from what I have been told the best way is a upgrade not a clean install ???

4. remdale

Reputations:
    The bass & treble controls in win7, but that's a useless thing because the sound becomes ugly when you try to adjust them. The adjusted levels are not saved and can be adjusted only for a video or audio file that is playing at the moment. If you choose the next track/video from the playlist or restart the media player, the sound settings will reset to original.
    I've just fresh installed win7 and drivers, but I couldn't find any sound control.
    Right now I have an issue where CPU multiplier went down to x2 after installing video drivers. I have no idea why. So I had to change the minimum CPU state to 100% under Win7. But even in that case, there are some performance issues. I've experienced it before when disabled SpeedStep in BIOS and tried to overclock with throttlestop on my Dell M6400. So it looks the same. Maybe SpeedStep is off now and I have to enable it forcibly somehow.

5. kimutler

Reputations:

ok thanks for that, for some reason in w7 64bit I did managed to get bass & treble by clicking on the speaker in the task bar when I loaded the drivers it showed the slider controls but it never made any difference, so I remove them and installed the standard driver in w7 which did give me a tone adjustment,

the other dragon is a older model hdx90950ea motherboard f41 bios (the ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics HD2600XT) 1680x1050 screen which for some reason I upgraded to w10 and had no problems with the sound (just tone control) I did try throttle stop once on it , it just shut down on me so I left that one with x7900 cpu running at normal speed, it boots up in 45 seconds with crucial ssd so I cant complain and of course its future proofed well a few years I hope,

yes I had a performance issue when I started using throttlestop on my other dragon motherboard bios f40 with the (Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTs) 1920x1200 screen I did the same as yourself by setting cpu state to 100 % which in turn worked good for a time then I was getting blue screens left right and center, the setting was not that high to keep the temp down x9000cpu m x18 =1.3375 hz = 3.6hz it mite be in my case the cpu as I did by it 2nd hand, maybe showing its age as it come out of a gaming laptop, had it a few years now I did make sure it was mot the es version as if I am right they drop off anything above 3.4hz

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. remdale

Reputations:
    The most reliable drivers can be found on the official website in our case. I've got mine from there. Just try it. Then you will be able to adjust bass and treble with sliders in sound settings. But there are sliders for speakers only, headphones are excluded though you still can do the adjustment with the touch panel.
    I got my dragon with broken BIOS, so I had to reflash it to get the laptop back to life. But it seems like there was and still is broken something else. So I have to find the reason and fix that before starting any mod.
    Actually the minimum CPU state option didn't work out as I found out later. That was just an old issue I came across when I had an old Toshiba laptop: I just had to reboot the machine after connecting the system to a power source.for the first time after having been disconnected from both battery & charger. It was fixed by itself, I don't how and why.
    The same thing is happening to my dragon now. After restarting the laptop, the CPU went back to its normal multiplier.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    Right now T9500 is working at around 20°C which is really weird to me. I should be at least 40°C idle and around 55°C under 100% load like in my old Toshiba. I know the dragon by design is capable of holding a 55W TDP CPU, but having just 1 heatpipe and working at 20°C is unbelievable. So I'm thinking if the CPU is working at full power. I've done a stress test with CPU-Z and also opened a huge Blu-Ray video file making 100% load, but the highest temp it could reach was 38°C.
    Maybe that's alright?
    Could you guys stress test your x9000 with CPU-Z and report how much points you got? Mine gets around 1700 points in CPU-Z.
    PS. my T9500 somehow went beyond the multiplier x13 up to x14 thus reaching 2.8GHz like x9000.

8. remdale

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Did you guys know that the first 3 quickplay buttons on the left (and on the remote) and the eject touch button can turn the dragon on? Does it work for you too?

9. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There's a misunderstanding here. I'm quite happy with the Dreamcolor 2 17 inch on the 8740W, but the attraction of the Dragon in the first place was the 20.1 inch screen. That's why the motherboard swap is the best solution to retaining this unique, ergonomic portable"desktop/laptop."

drdino likes this.
  10. kimutler

Reputations:

yes do that sometimes when I get a blue screen as the power button does not work right after a shut down, saves me waiting 4 mins for the power button to wake up !!!

drdino likes this.