*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not necessarily, if the Elitebook 8740W mobo is viable, as it drives a laptop with touch controls. Moreover, even though that laptop is from 2010, it can take GPUs up to the K5000M. In fact, that mobo is extremely upgradeable.

Even though the Dragon will never win the the Jenny Craig award, it is still a stylish, unique, elegant and unusually ergonomic machine, which is why you like using it. For all of these reasons, this machine is worthy of resuscitation.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good idea. But I forgot to mention that I like the docking station of the dragon compared to the one of the 8740W. It's really a cool thing, so I prefer staying with the same board:D

3. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Regarding this computer, there are bigger fish to catch beyond the dock.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    2.0:

Would you happen to know the easiest, idiot proof application to underclock the Nvidia 5000M in my 8740W? It's overkill for what I'm doing on that machine, wasting energy.

5. remdale

Reputations:
    If the problem is just backlight, we could just replace CCFL with LED and adjust brightness (voltage) with a resistor. Is everything else fine with the FX3700 mod except for the backlight issue?
    I found a guy who can replace CCFL backlight with LED, but I haven't contacted him personally yet.

As for the USB 3 mod, you can use Expresscard USB 3 adapter if you like. Speaking of replacing onboard USB ports, that is fine as long as you want to occupy 1 of the mPCIe ports. But in that case I prefer not wasting available USB 2.0 ports by using them somehow. Using them for Bluetooth, a mouse receiver etc.
    I'm starting hunting for the rare GTX280M.
    I will try to do the QX9300 mod again. Something went wrong during the experiment last time, so that my motherboard cannot boot with X9000. So probably I should succeed next time because the guy who modded his Lenovo holding GM965 chipset succeeded well.
    Let's max out everything as much as we can:D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    triturbo likes this.
  6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    According to senordingdong the problem was not just brightness but the overall intensity or "punch". Really, it is a matter of the wrong bit rate been outputted to the 8 bit panel.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    Is there anybody else who can dig vBIOS?
    2.0, where's your GTX280M? What happened to it after all?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  8. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    D/L Nvidia's system tools. You can underclock from there and your settings will be persistent. Once you d/l and install it, you will be able to access it via Nvidia Control Panel. Fast way to get to it is to right click your desktop. It will be listed under performance on the Nvidia Control Panel. Choose custom and set the frequency or slide the slider to where you want it then save it as a profile. Then to make it persistent, click profile policies. Click load this profile at start up, then click profile to load the profile you made, then click accept. You'll see what you created in the rules box. Make sure the rule you just made is checked. That's it. One tip, adjust in 50mhz increments.

Sold them years ago when things didn't work. Same with Computrekie.

Not really worth going to a 280M GTX. It's still DX10 and only about 15-20% faster. QX9300 is also a dead end more or less. It'll have to be gimped a bit to make it work, if it can work, due to the difference in FSB speeds of Santa Rosa(800mhz) in HDX and Montevina (1066mhz) for which QX9300 was made for.

I installed an Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter a while back. Works well. Renesas chipset.

kimutler likes this.
  9. remdale

Reputations:
    2.0, thanks for your pics of the GTX280M. I've searched for the model name that was printed on the sticker. Then I googled and found the one available on aliexpress!!
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-7...-GTX1-V1-0-1GB-DDR3-Graphics/32789591129.html
    Gotta grab it ASAP!:D
    No heatsink bracket unfortunately.

Well, the guy who succeeded with upgrading his Lenovo to QX9300 could do that, so we should be able to do the same thing too.
    I'm really curious about GTX280M, so I wanna give it a try.

10. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    The limited success we've had so far, based on the reports of senordingdong (who abandoned the project) was with the Nvidia Quadro, the same card in the 3700M iteration than an HP Tech told me had been successfully installed in the Dragon by a customer. The Quadros have some history within the HP line, whereas the 280M GTX does not, a fact that may have significance with regard to the bios and vbios design of these HP laptops.

From every perspective a motherboard swap offers much more.

And 2.0, Nvidia System Tools apparently isn't supported for Windows 10, although there are some third party web sites who co-opt the Nvidia name in their web address, who are offering downloads. There are also some third party alternative. Are you familiar with any of them?

Thanks!