*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    It does use PWM via the Inverter. It's just like virtually all panels of the era, does so via external means.

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very interesting distinction, and one of which I was completely unaware.

So is the panel designed for PWM, or is PWM simply being imposed by the inverter?

3. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    PWM to the inverter which drives the CCFL backlights brightness/dimming. It's digital brightness control as opposed to analog.

Incidentally, I've been looking into the idea of a mobo swap and this is one of the issues that will be encountered. Another is top panel capacitive touch integration, keyboard (which may be converted to ps2/usb) IR integration for remote, and converting USB 2.0 ports to USB 3.

MobileArtist likes this.
  4. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes; with this panel the brightness of the ccfl tubes in controlled by varying the power input (analog), but the signal the laptop is sending it is digital (pwm).

So this is, to make the distinction, a panel that uses pwm-dc brightness control. Conversely, a modern 'true' pwm backlight is directly controlled by tuning it on/off in a certain pattern. I'd agree; the analog method is far superior since you have an infinite, continuous output, whereas with low frequency pwm you may notice the flicker (even if it's unnoticeable except for eye fatigue).

However, apart from cost, pure pwm does have a genuine advantage; you can have a wider range from dark to bright. This is because the ccfl needs a minimum amount of power to even turn on, so the analog method has a much brighter 'darkest setting' than a true pwm panel can accomplish (since you're really turning the entire backlight completely off).

2.0 likes this.
  5. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    If a
    Fantastico!!!

6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    I gladly trade the brighter darkness for no, or littlle flickering.

t456 likes this.
  7. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Regarding the possibility of a motherboard swap, maybe look into one of the motherboards used in the Elitebook 8740W, as it also has (I believe) capacitive touch controls, was manufactured not too far in time from the Dragon, is in the HP "family," and is smaller than that used in the Dragon. Moreover, this motherboard accommodates many different kinds of CPUs and GPUs, including some robust ones.

2.0 likes this.
  8. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Now that's intriguing! It might be the ticket. Have to get motherboard dimensions and schematic but it could possibly work. Good looking out. I was looking at smaller, less powerful motherboards from the likes of Samsung and Clevo.

9. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Glad you think so!

10. remdale

remdale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was thinking of the motherboard swap, but it would mean that the touch controls will stop working, so I prefer going with the dragon's board. I'm really fond of the dragon's design.