*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    That would be on page 31 of the schematic PDF. What's up? You found someone to figure things out?

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, it's likely that the problem from the very beginning is the LVDS cable.

When you know who reversed or inverted (I can't recall which) the LVDS it enabled the Quadro to a degree, but with the wrong bit rate… hence the lackluster display. The most likely culprit, according to two very tech savvy people I have spoken with, is that a pair of wires or strands within the LVDS cable reversed send and receive (if that's the right term), which would drop the bit rate.

There's a reason why the industry moved away from LVDS.

There's also a reason why rational laptop manufacturers don't bury the CMOS battery in the guts of the machine, but that's a different subject altogether. Changing the CMOS in my HP 8740W takes 5 minutes, which suggests that different teams at HP work on different product lines, and that some of them must be into heavy drinking.

3. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    See this post here about the LVDS pinouts: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...rs-lounge-part-2.515212/page-691#post-9181185

The problem could be that the proper data is not being fed to the inverter via the LVDS cable. If all it is, is a brightness issue, perhaps have someone look at the LVDS to inverter connection. The Inverter is of the PWM (pulse width modulation) variety. It's apparently not getting data. It may be that the propriety 8800M has a line going to a pin to send data to the inverter via pin 31 [INV PWM 3] and pin 33 [LCM 3S BKLTEN] on the LVDS which corresponds to pins 226/228 on the MXM slot that other standard MXM cards may not. That pin combo seems to be the only ones which controls screen brightness. Alternatively, it could be a firmware issue preventing them from sending data to those pins.

When you say 'lackluster,' are you only referring to brightness or also clarity?

As for a possible wire inversion, look into pins 31/33 of the LVDS cable. They send data to the inverter to control brightness.

Pages 29-31 of the schematic detail everything related to display. There's a link on the 1st post of the schematic PDF.

------
    On CMOS battery... yep. Critical oversight in design. But then again, many of Inventec's mobo's use a soldered on RTC battery which requires removal of mobo to get to. Must be a part of their design language.

4. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

the COMS battery yes I think as these batteries last that long 7 years plus, most laptops are long forgotten by that time, most of the models I purchased was over 10 years of age out of the 30 or so I had only 2 have had there COMS fail, but I replaced every one of them when cleaning the fans & inner case before selling on.as they only cost a couple of quid.

5. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's pretty good detective work, 2.0.

I need to find somebody out here on the West Coast that can do modding, as I am not a hands on tech.

Too bad senordingdong was more dingdong than senor.

6. kimutler

Reputations:
    does anybody who has upgraded or loaded w10 been able to use the built in tv software on a hdx9000, I have it working but cannot get any sound when trying to watch the tv ????
    all the other functions work with sound ok.

7. KABMAN

KABMAN Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I've been playing with my HDX9000 recently and I've got it running pretty sweetly on Windows 10.

The one issue I have is that I can't get the microphone to work. The rest of the audio seems to work fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

8. CompTrekkie

CompTrekkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, been a long time. Awesome to see that some posting is still happening here.I am in the market to grab two HDX's. If anyone has one in working order for a decent price let me know. OS and/or drivers do not matter I have that covered. 8GB RAM would be a big plus.

Thanks!

9. kimutler

Reputations:

long time no see !!! sorry m8 I got 5 of them but you're on the wrong side of the ocean as I am uk side I would of helped you out.

CompTrekkie likes this.
  10. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Hey CompTrekkie! Wow, an OG up in here. Good to see you.

There's an HDX on eBay for sale. Highish starting bid though. Almost $400.

CompTrekkie likes this.