*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, that was it. Do you happen to know the manufacturing date of that unit? So when you started it the, the BIOS battery was dead, I assume. Did the machine work with a dead battery? You do have to tear it completely apart to put in the BIOS battery, right? What a peculiar design decision.

Are you running 7 or 10 on it?

2. lzeta

lzeta Newbie

Reputations:
    The same as Windows 7 and Windows 10. Know someone how to update bios from dos?

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

3. remdale

remdale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    kimutler, how does the x9000 work there? Yesterday I got my x9000 from ebay, but my laptop doesn't start with it properly. Maybe I got a broken x9000?

4. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The X9000 works just fine, as it was an option for the Dragon. There are different "versions" of the X9000. From page One of this thread:

"A note about X9000 - the only ES version worth considering is the Q174. But the Q174 can have little quirks such
    as only 1 core reporting temps or require higher voltage per overclocked multiplier than OEM version."

5. remdale

remdale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe I messed up with microcodes? Need to check it out with official bios.

6. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

ok I think it was not one of the latest ones as it was locked away for many years but I think it was late 2007 from what info was given' it was made about the same time as the ones were on the net they were giving 30 of them away in a competition in 2008,

the bios battery was failing and yes I had to strip it down, it never been touched before though, the main battery was flat as a pancake it took about 15 mins before it started to charge, I remember as I thought it was knackerd but it come back to life and was good for 90 mins of use once I charge and drained it a few times. still gives me about 80 mins of use now. I keep it in the laptop bag I have as I am on the mains most of the time and don't have in the laptop when using it as that's the mistake many people did with this laptop and the battery dies being on charge all the time with all the dragons I stripped down over the past 5 years, I managed to get my hands on 3 more battery's that give about 70 to 90 mins of use just rotate them around when I use them.

I am using w764bit on two of the dragons I got now, one has a tx8100 cpu with a normal hd (takes ages to boot) with 1929x1200 screen the other you know about but i put a Samsung ssd 500gb in it, make a big difference to the boot time, but I have throttle stop running as well 18x muilypilier at 1335vot, buy looking at them running together I wonder how we waited so long before you can use them but now these are dinosaurs compared to the new ones,

the cpu there is two I know of, and as 2.0 stated many years back keep clear of the ES version as it does not like clocking past 3.4ghz where the other OEM ones (SLAZ3) can run all day at 3.6ghz, which I have had with no problems knocking the volts down to 1.335 keep-s the temp down as well or you get the B S O DEATH which I did get a few times pushing a bit to hard .

as far as your cpu playing up, good thermal paste it should not matter what bios you have f35 or f40 if you have not messed with it, hows your ram ?

hp had a clearace in the uk laptop direct was selling these laptops for £700 in 2008 they had blueray dvd player and 1680x1050 screens with a tx8100 cpu so if I am right 2008 was the last of them watered down specs to clear stocks laptop direct is only 15 mile from me so at the time I went up there to have a look they sold out in no time,

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. eldasto

eldasto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I have an HDX for parts, I'm not in the US so mostly I would like to know how much its worth at the moment. I've used the bake method twice and it worked but I'm not really interested in getting it fixed again. The screen is 1920x1200 and my guess is that it is the most valuable part it has.

Especifications:

HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Series CTO

- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50GHz)
    - 20.1" diagonal WUXGA High-Definition HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen (1920x1200)-"True HD" 1080p res
    - 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    - 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS
    - HP Imprint Finish (Dragon) + Microphone + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam
    - Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
    - FREE Upgrade to Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer!!
    - Integrated HP HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner and 4 Altec Lansing speakers +the HP Triple Bass Reflex subwoofer

This is straight from the order I made minus the stuff not worth mentioning

I'm thinking of trying one more time but the 100+ screws it takes to dissasemble it takes away my enthusiasm.

How much could I ask for the parts? That if they are still somewhat relevant at all

8. lzeta

lzeta Newbie

Reputations:
    someone Know how to update bios from dos?

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

9. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

in the uk the machine complete you get about £100 for it not working on ebay. if you part it out then more as the screen if in a1 condition will be about £70 but like all other parts once they are fitted by the buyer, they could damage it and then say it was like that when he received it, I had them tricks pulled on me in the past that's why I don't part them out,if you fix it and sell it in working order you get £200 plus if w7 is installed in a1 condition there's 3 going on ebay now but there asking far to much money for them £300 plus.

10. remdale

remdale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Better buy a cheap programmer and flash the chip safely.