*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    The motherboard of the 9095 is not compatible. The 9095 is ATI only. Its motherboard will not work with Nvidia. Otherwise, all other components are compatible.

2. slot

slot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Thank you

3. remdale

remdale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I almost gave up trying QX9300 to get to work because I couldn't isolate CPU pins fine. So I had an idea. I can desolder those pins. Thus we could easily do a VID mod to increase the voltage on CPU like I did for my T9500. But removing pins is a bit painful as we will have to be careful to not damage other pins. Anyways, I succeeded in starting my laptop at FSB266 after desoldering T9500 pins thus I made the CPU power controller think that CPU sends signals for 1.5v.
    But when I tried to boot into OS, I got some windows error about HAL and some other stuff. When I tried to get into BIOS, I got an error about RAM test failure and was asked to replace RAM. At the same time I wasn't allowed to get access to BIOS settings. Even though I set up the RAM to DDR400 timings, when I returned to FSB800 and got into BIOS it worked fine and also I could successfully boot into OS. I'm still wondering how it worked for people who successfully did the same thing to T61. It has the same PM965 chipset. Probably I need to increase voltage on it. But I know well there's a difference in CPU socket connection on Lenovo T61 and HP HDX9000. On T61 CPU socket pins are stated as not connected, but they are actually connected to GND according to lenovo forum (https://forum.thinkpads.com//viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110620&start=30#p728624) where I found detailed steps for the CPU upgrade whilst the same pins are NOT connected to GND on our board. So it means if we want to power up the other 2 cores in QX9300 we have to connect GTLREF_2 (pin D22 on quads) to VCC in the same way as GTLREF. But the biggest problem is that the GTLREF_2 pin is located in the middle of other pins so the biggest nightmare is to connect a piece of wire preventing it contacting with other pins. As the datasheet says, the distance between the GTLREF_2 pin and the VCC connection point should not be longer then 0.5" that is impossible in our case. But people from the same forum confirmed it working even if the wire is a bit longer than 0.5". I tried to do that, but the board didn't start and showed D0 postcode. I think it's about some CPU failure but I don't have any FSB1066 dual for testing if GTLREF_2 is the reason here.
    I will check the FSB:RAM devider to calculate the RAM frequency that is needed to run FSB1066 on our machine.
    I returned back to FSB800 and booted up with VID0, VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4 and VID5 desoldered from CPU thus forcing the CPU bucket controller give 1.5v for T9500. Then I opened CPU-Z to check the voltage. It though it showed something like 0.9v, I was pretty sure it was 1.5v as I could boot up at FSB1066 that failed all the time before desoldering the pins. Anyways, I will check the real voltage with my voltmeter tomorrow.
    But I'm wondering why my board sometimes downclocks the CPU by setting a low voltage and decreasing the multiplier to 2x. Why is that? It happened even before I started my experiments with BIOS.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    NTBR likes this.
  4. remdale

remdale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So have checked the real CPU voltage with a voltmeter. It was almost 1.5v. So my CPU pin mod was successful. But I cannot use the system at FSB266 obviously because of the RAM failure. So unfortunately I stop here as I've already purchased a powerful DELL M6400. It's impossible to insert its motherboard into HDX. So I'm going to leave everything as it is. Besides the LCD pinout is somewhat different that doesn't let me to exchange the LCD though it's possible to adopt the LCD cable.

5. warspite1916

warspite1916 Newbie

Reputations:
    All of this discussion on upgrades is interesting, but I guess I missed something coming in late. For me, the Dragon is still a great machine for the casual use I need it for - web browsing, email, Office applications. Once I added an SSD, it was like a new PC. I still want to upgrade to 8GB RAM, but I'm choking on the prices I see for such old memory. Day in and out, my old 2.8 dual core takes care of these mundane tasks without even revving the cooling fans. I guess the folks ditching their Dragons are looking for gaming PCs or better mobility, which I understand, as the Dragon is not going to give you either of those. But if anyone wants to ditch them cheap, let me know. I'll happily ride them into the computing sunset, as is!
    On a different note, is there a list of the different versions and models? Thanks!!

6. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    There are only two models and they center around the video card: ATI or nVidia. HDX started life with only an ATI video card and WXSGA+ 1680x1050 screen. Models 9000-9100. Then came the nVidia card along with the option of a WUXGA 1920x1200 screen. Models 9200-9500.

Note that models 9200-9500 have a motherboard that can utilize both video cards, while 9000-9100 can only use the ATI since it is MXM II and not MXM III/HE.

7. remdale

remdale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I really love a big screen of my HDX, so I cannot dare to sell my precious laptop. I decided to leave it for watching movies. Meanwhile, I found good drivers for Windows XP x64 and 2003 x64 in the driver database of Microsoft. Had to dance around them a little bit because the audio service couldn't not start because of a missing file that had to be copied on your own from the driver directory to Syswow64 instead of system32. Also tried to add the IDT audio control panel to the windows control panel. Couldn't succeed, so just copied it to syswow64 too. Then the IDT Audio panel can be started from the system tray.
    Here's the driver. Just start the Install.bat file and it will do its work. Instead of you. If it will not work, just install the driver from device manager.
    HDX9000 Audio driver Windows XP 2003 x64.zip
    But I couldn't succeed to get the bass and treble touch panel along with the eject button to work.

I also need help with FN hotkeys. I have 4 unknown devices:
    ACPI\PNP0C32\3
    ACPI\PNP0C32\4
    ACPI\PNP0C32\5
    ACPI\PNP0C32\8
    Also I have an unknown device after installing a CIR driver. It's ROOT\SYSTEM\0005

Do you have any ideas about where to get drivers for those devices?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. remdale

remdale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I need to know which laptop uses GTX280M MXM-HE. Maybe I could get that laptop instead of searching for just the card.

9. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    I don't think there were many sold using that. Nearly all went with the 3.0b version. Years ago when I obtained them, I noted that Sager/Clevo had them available for a D901c. 10 years on, that card's going to be very tricky to find. You can also look in this site's marketplace or request one there.

As to your XP question, the original "part 1" of this lounge had discussion on it. I don't remember if all the drivers were found. Depending on your need for XP, you might want to consider putting it in a VM.

10. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To the best of my knowledge at least one version of the Alienware M15X had a 280M GTX MXM 2.1.

Also the EUROCOM M370TU Montebell, and the EUROCOM M570TU Montebello had options for the 280M GTX MXM 2.1. The Eurocoms, I believe, are built on Clevo.