*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Here's just the physical issue that will be encountered: Like all HPs, the bottom case is compartmentalized. It has 'walled off" sections that also act as support that will likely have to be broken off. The midsection screws and their pegs will also have to be broken off. One will have to cut a section out for a dust screen where the new mobo's CPU fan will be. These aren't insurmountable issues but they are permanent. And with HDX parts, especially a bottom case, being hard to find, one needs to really consider the utility of modding a 10 year old notebook solely because of its screen.

Think of it this way; if you're not using the HDX as a portable device on an appreciable basis, why not just get a Small Form Factor desktop and a monitor of your choosing? You can get an SFF and almost ANY video card and mobo you want on an ongoing basis. Moreover, you can get superior monitors these days. Even a curved one.

You can even get a 17" notebook and attach it to any monitor off your choosing considering how powerful modern GPUs are and also that 17" notebooks come with resolutions which match many monitors.

Anyway, which last gen Asus notebook's mobo was said to be workable? I think we should start there. What was capable with Thinkpads/Frankenpads doesn't necessarily translate to the HDX. Not even as a proof of concept. It's almost apples to oranges.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All great points, but a technician who is aware of the construction of the Dragon said it was doable. Also, parts do not need to be broken off, but rather ground or sanded down.

A small form factor desktop is not something I would like to take on a trip, or to the library as a recent user posted. And it's not just the size of the Dragon's screen (which isn't even comparable to a 17" panel), but its adjustability that is unique, ergonomic, and good for the eyes.

I haven't taken apart a Thinkpad, so I can't speak with authority on that, but I'm sure the kind of dramatic modification that are made by Thinkpadders have their own set of challenges.

But my main argument remains the same. If the Dragon was a new and advanced machine, then doing such a mod wouldn't be warranted. But members are getting rid of their machines as Win 7 nears end of life, and the limitations of the 8800M loom large. So do we put the Dragon on a shelf, like my friend with his collection of early film cameras, or do we sell it for peanuts on craigslist (which is permanent), or do we do something that very well might give this unique machine a new life?

I say the latter.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  3. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    So, which Asus mobo are we talking about?

Doable and doing often have a wide gulf between them when it comes to things like this. Just like the video card did and does. You're at the last mile and it's not easily solved. Other notebooks with MXM slots didn't have nearly as much difficulty. Almost all were drop in, flash VBIOS and go. If it takes more than that, the odds of success drop off dramatically.

With regards to what to do with the HDX in Jan 2020 with the EOL of Win 7 and Win 8 in Jan 2023... considering it will be 12 and 15 years old respectively, it will probably be obsolesced in a number of ways: USB ports, HDD/CDRom interface, Wifi, etc. However, Win 10 can be used if the GPU's powermizer is disabled and clock frequencies are manually selected. Otherwise, yeah, without the ability to switch to Win 10 or swap in a new mobo, on the shelf it goes like most other decade plus computing devices.

Swapping out the mobo is an interesting experiment though. The longer it takes to getting around to doing it, the smaller the candidate mobo will become. So there's that.

4. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Possibly a motherboard from one of the Asus Ultrabooks... I'm waiting on more information.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  5. denforeva75

denforeva75 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I apologize ... But, tell me, what problems are you talking about with Windows 10?
    At me the second year the Dragon works with Windows 10. Any problems it is not observed.
    The only thing is, it is necessary to select "maximum performance mode" in the graphics processor settings.
    Windows 10 works fine on HDX

6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    No need to apologize.

From reading the accounts of numerous posters, installing 10 seems to be very complex, and then you have problems with GPU drivers that are Windows 10 contemporaneous. But the main point is that the Dragon is outdated in the minds of many members, which is why they're moving on, and is why we're having this conversation.

7. warspite1916

warspite1916 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Wow, several pages of post since I made my initial one, is good to see. Still a lot of activity for such an old, but capable PC. I'm also excited to see so much discussion on upgrades, although I have to admit less enthusiasm of Windows 10 compatibility. A necessary evil I suppose.

8. slot

slot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello I have a HP Hdx 9200 nvidia and T8100 I have the opportunity to buy an HP hdx 9095EA with ATI and T7500 graphics
    My question is this:
    What parts of the computer are compatible?
    What parts of the computer are NOT compatible?
    Which computer is better?
    Thank you very much

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  9. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Very negligible differences between the newer T8100 and the T7500. The former runs cooler, uses less energy, whereas the T7500 can be a little faster in some contexts, but not in others. In some contexts the T8100 will be a little faster. It's really splitting hairs. The T8100 is more efficient, however/

But the Nvidia GPU is much more capable than the ATI. You just have to watch it, as it's more prone to failure. Probably the only way to prevent that is to take the Dragon apart evry few months to clean all the dust out, as 2.0 does, which ensures it's running cool.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  10. slot

slot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for answering my question.
    But I have more questions:
    I have the opportunity to bu
    Hdx 9095EA for 120 euros this
    As new, if I buy it, I'm thinking about being able to have a replacement computer so that when my hdx 9200 breaks some components like the screen, the motherboard, the keyboard, etc.
    How many components are NOT compatible with my hdx 9200 ????
    Is it possible to install the BIOS or the motherboard of the 9095EA in my 9200?
    Thank you very much

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017