*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. NTBR

NTBR Newbie

Reputations:
    Depends on the version of it(probably 1.2) and also the method of implementation(hopefully discrete) and on how the manufacturer coded the remote validation of software(restricted list, I don't think it is a reason of concern otherwise it would potentially long time ago been brought up as an issue). Generally useful as an extra layer of security(can be disabled too) but still not a solution against malware.

Any reason for that? They have several flaws, some of them being temperature, power consumption and throttling. Hard to find too. Also mostly dual core cpus.

Is there any place that displays physical dimensions of laptop motherboards along with ports too?

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's the Schemata for the HDX. I hope this forum interface uploads it.

Attached Files:

3. remdale

remdale Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  4. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Wasn't sure about that link.

Yeah, the Dragon is amazing, and people don't realize the value of a screen that is not fixed in terms of distance and limited in angle. That is an extraordinary thing for the eyesight, and is a great ergonomic design.

I admire your energetic attack on the issue.

By the way I read an interesting article about BIOS updates, wherein the author advises against doing an update when the CPU and GPU are in an overclocked state.

ole!!! likes this.
  5. remdale

Reputations:
    Have just edited my post. I've found Asus G71V having 3 CPU power phases and its native CPU is QX9300. But still I like HP's big screen.
    I'm still waiting for any news from the guy who agreed to work with our BIOS.
    As for the GPU upgrade, let's upgrade to QX9300 first and then think of the GPU upgrade:)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    ole!!! and NTBR like this.
  6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Of course, a motherboard upgrade would accomplish both in one swell foop...er...fell swoop.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm dreaming now of the motherboard swap. I would think of Asus G71V. DDR3+it would let us overclock QX9300 enough and has a native support for FSB 1066 and 1920x1200 screen resolution. Don't know about the sound quality though. But the main question is motherboard dimensions and allocation of coolers. I would replace the whole bottom case actually, but I'm afraid to imagine the appearance of the handmade case.:D
    I've just received a reply from the guy who tried to help me with BIOS. But actually, he sent me some links for the start and said he cannot be helpful much here.

NTBR likes this.
  8. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    That Asus is an old board, with a GPU no better than ours, and , apparently, poor audio. The technician who was on the project was talking about a much newer board. That would be worth the effort, if we could find a board with modern performance.

NTBR likes this.
  9. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod® Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A motherboard insertion would be very difficult if one wanted to keep the original casing intact. There really isn't enough room as is. Then there's the issue of connector compatibility - to the keyboard, to the ports, to the screen, etc.

Plus you'd want something with a GPU that is DX 11/12 and USB 3.0 otherwise it's a waste of time and resources.

It's a nice idea but not practical nor pragmatic. It's a big to do, that requires an extensive amount of technical know how. There will be issues which may not be overcome.

ole!!! likes this.
  10. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    senordingdong said it was doable, and mentioned a recent MB with robust CPU/GPU. He did mention that there might be an issue with one or two features...possibly touch-panel related. I don't recall.

With many members getting rid of their machines given Win 10 troubles among other things, I just don't see any downside at all in pursuing this. It's no machine vs a possibly dramatically updated machine.

People should take a look at some of the Frankenpads on the Thinkpad forum. Many of the modded Thinkpads have very small chassis, with very little wiggleroom, compared to the Dragon.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    NTBR likes this.