*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I think you answered your own question here as there is hardy anybody using this site it now, if only we was at this stage few years back we mite of gotten enough guys on here to get it going hey but never give up never surrender right !!!!

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wonder how many people still own their Dragons, but don't use it, post about it because the Windows 10 hurdle exhausred people. Just a few weeks or months ago people were responding.

My point is that we are 10 yards away from getting the 3700M to work fully.

By the way, I had a few email exchanges with Rahul Sood, who presided over Voodoo before it was bought by HP and became Envy. He was in charge of HP/Envy just at the time the Dragon was designed and made. He had acceess to the puzzle solutions, but even after leaving Envy was reluctanat to help with any heretical modifications.

3. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    And I don't see any big numbers of Dragons showing up on ebay, or craigsliat. They are still rarer than hen's teeth.

4. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yes that seems the case that people who was working on the dragon who knows a few things don't want to get involved in issues from the past as they have moved on to more present hi tec developments which I suppose takes a lot of there time up,

as for dragons on ebay, there's been none for a couple of months now, there was 3 going I got 2 of them for as little as £80 each after there were on ebay for £300 plus each buy now, they did not sell so they made the mistake of starting them for .99p hoping that would get the bidding going but it panned out at £75 so I jumped in with both feet, the best thing was there was nothing wrong with them in perfect order, I think that was the turning point that people was not interested in them with vista & w7 and the drivers issue with w 10 out now.

5. warspite1916

warspite1916 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    My first post and the proud owner of three Dragons. I find it hard to believe people don't find the Dragon still useful. With a decent dual-core CPU, 4GBs of RAM and an SSD, this can still get some serious work down (I'm using now). I took one to my local library to work on some research and was mobbed by the curious. The librarian came over twice to ask the group of 8-10 to keep quiet. They'd never seen anything like and were floored by the screen and capability. All were surprised to find out this was a 10 year-old PC. A couple even said they were going to hit Ebay to get their own. Maybe some life still left in the ol' Dragon . . .

Dominick_7 likes this.
  6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Glad to have you on board, warspite1916. Yes, the Dragon is a completely unique machine, and it is powerful enough as it is to be very useful. There simply is no large screen laptop like it, unless you want to spend $8000 plus for an Acer Predator, which is lunatic.

You should know that the machine is 90% on the way to having an Nvidia 3700M upgrade, which would make it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 in a completely hassle-free way. I'm frustrated because as close as we are, many forum members have given up just as we are within striking distance. A very talented technician was able to install the 3700M, and it is fully functional performance wise, but it only outputs 6-bits, which is inadequate for the Dragon's 8-bit panel. As a result the screen is dimmer than normal. The card, itself, is capable of outputting more than 8-bits.

Without an economic upside for the technician, which means a commitment by enough forum members, the technician has no incentive to go the last mile, which is understandable. While he thought forum members were interested, he felt that even a motherboard upgrade, using a last generation Asus motherboard, was possible. IBM ThinkPad users have performed numerous motherboard upgrades on their machines, with some installations that have radically upgraded their machines.

In any event, being 90% of the way there, I have not given up, and opened communication with a technician well-versed in laptops who was of the opinion that the lingering problem with the 3700M may very well have to do with the LVDS cable that connects the computer to the display. The LVDS cable was the overlooked solution initially that allowed the technician to get as far as he did. As a scientist friend of mine said the first step in electronic problems is to check cabling. How right he was.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  7. JohnnyFlash

JohnnyFlash Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Holy crap this thread is still going. I got mine 10 years ago today. Wild.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  8. Souperdog

Souperdog Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I bought my Dragon around 10 years ago and it's been in daily use ever since without any issues. I went from Vista to Windows 7 as soon as 7 became available (never was a fan of Vista). I've also been a lurker on this and part 1 of the thread and have found out so much about the Dragon (many thanks to all that have contributed). I have just recently picked up 2 Dragons from ebay and will be using them as spares or repairs, one has Windows 8.1 which I'm not sure if I will keep or install Windows 7. It's been said that they are rare (which they are) but a few can still be found.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  9. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Think theres interest in this especially considering the only other option is around $7000-$9000+ with the two monsters, the Acer Predator 21x and ASUS GX800vh. I'd pay seniordingdong or whomever else that has the ability to upgrade the HDX. I miss it. Have a broken one sitting here for the last year or two while using this ENVY 17.. It doesn't compare to the HDX. An upgraded motherboard and screen would be incredible.