*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    cant believe how cheap these dragons are getting on ebay just purchased 3 in new condition no cracks on the bezels or scratches,you would think they just out of the box. oh and with the 1920x1200 screens as well, go's to show you there is people that realy look after them without knowing the specs, I would say if you are looking it seems the best time to buy one .

2. scleme

scleme Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wow no cracked bezels or scratches! ... That's amazing... I haven't been following them lately, but the one's I've bought for parts have been fairly pricey and battle scarred, though I did pickup one that was mint which I sent out to seniordingdong for gpu upgrade... I still have my original with box and accessories in pristine condition. Congrats on the pickups...

Bry_Guy likes this.
  3. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Thanks yes I don't want to sell them as having some spare 8800 GPU on a box. I think i be ok for some time in that dept, it's the w 10 issue at this stage with this gpu card drivers if I am right . but W7 I am told will be supported till 2020 which I find gives some time before the crunch

4. donihue

donihue Newbie

Reputations:
    Windows 10

For all those who have been struggling to instal Windows 10 on the Dragon, I thought I would let you know that after 18 months of struggling, I was finally successful in so doing.

Following are the steps taken to achieve this result:

1. Download the latest Windows10 .iso disc ("Creator's edition", v.1703)
    2. Unplug all devices and cables (including Ethernet) and disable wifi; there must be no connection to Internet or networks
    3. Using Task Manager, disable all non-Microsoft services, then restart and check that the services remain disabled
    4. Disable all startup programmes, then restart and check that the programmes remain disabled
    5. Uninstall the Nvidia Graphics Adapter, then restart and check that the adapter remains uninstalled
    6. If your computer's name includes a hyphen (eg, XXX-PC), rename the computer to eliminate the hyphen
    7. If all has gone well to this point, double-click on the Windows10 .iso disc and then on setup.exe to start the installation process
    8. Once this process has started, a screen will appear entitled "Get important updates". Decline the offer to do so (i.e., click on "Not right now")
    8. After many automatic restarts and considerable time when the process appears to be doing nothing, Windows10 will be installed
    10. It may be necessary to reinstall the Nvidia Graphics Adapter, for which the latest compatible driver is 342.01

This procedure worked for me only on the third try, so do not despair if it does not succeed at first.

Regards
    Donihue

5. Bry_Guy

Bry_Guy Newbie

Reputations:
    I am new to the forum and have had my HDX 9010 (ATI video card) for close to 10 years. Can't believe I never found this forum (busy at work I guess and then my wife got an iMAC 27"). For most of the last 4-5 years it has been a paperweight in my garage, but I recently had the urge to bring it back to life. I'm running Win Vista 64 bit OS with all updates as of 2013 and only a few added software items. It seems to be running fine but the CPU is always running at 50-52% so I'm thinking about some upgrades. I did go from the stock 2GB of ram to 4GB for $22 (noticeable improvement), replaced the stock 120GB HD with a 240GB Sandisk SSD (some more improvement but the interface speed was only at 3gb/sec versus 6), and looking at a CPU upgrade from the T7500 2.2ghz to the X7900 2.8ghz. Found one used (tested working) for $25. Will it make a difference? Is there a way to get the SSD to the 6gb/sec interface speed?

Uses: I have a bunch of digital 8 and some VHS tapes that I plan to convert with the system, but other than that it is my garage TV and Netflix viewer.

6. Bry_Guy

Bry_Guy Newbie

Reputations:
    - That's awesome. I didn't even think I would be able to find many parts online, let alone an active forum (which sure has a lot of info on it). Mine is 10 yrs old and I think I only have 1 scratch on it. Also have the original box, all after 3 moves and 1 deployment.

7. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    On a dualcore system that could mean one core is running at 100% all the time because some stuck process is eating all the cpu power. Something worth looking at.

8. Bry_Guy

Bry_Guy Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes. I looks like the SVCHOST is sucking the life out of my beast. But not sure why and I think that is a required process.

9. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Process Explorer should show you what program is using svchost.

Svchost itself isn't a bad guy. It is a service that other programs use to access network resources, like Windows Update accesses internet. Just couldn't figure out better example :p

Bry_Guy likes this.
  10. Bry_Guy

Bry_Guy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. I think you hit iton the head. I was just playing with task manager and ended the process and the CPU usage drops to almost nothing. After some googling, it appears as though it is a windows process to update Internet Explorer and since Vista and IE 9 are no longer supported by Microsoft, it keeps trying anyways. If I open IE, the problem returns. If I restart the computer the problem returns. I guess I am using task manager to stop the process every time power up. Maybe I can get a copy of and install Win 7.