*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    thats pcie port, mini pcie. msata is same form factor except its sata lanes, pcie ports prob has sata lanes disabled. the same mini pcie port could be wired for USB as well so theres a bunch of usage, thats why your msata SSD doesnt work.

u'll need a mini pcie card to sata adapter which i was planning to mod as soon as i have time to add additional storage in dragon.

a good upgrade is to wait for intel or micron come out with optane but in a SATA 2.5" form factor to really make this computer fly, though performance will drop a load due to going through sata, controller and flash itself will still be much greater than traditional nand, or wait for samsung znand in sata 2.5" form factor.

2. scleme

scleme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes PLEASE DO POST as this is my laptop that senordingdong has been working on for over a year. We may end up doing a MOBO swap as this problem does not appear to have any timely resolution. I "do" use my Dragon at full brightness, so having that working is a must. Any help with the brightness issue would be greatly appreciated, it would be great to see this project through and get this GPU working to it's full potential.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    they mention not working at full brightness but they didnt say how far its able to go.

4. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not exacty brightness from what I understand, but a matter of intemsity. From my conversation with senordingdong the visual effect of this is something like a screen running at half brightness. He thinks it has something to do with GPU display interaction not seeing the full bit rate. Both he and I put up posts on Nvidia sites like Guru3D asking for help. It's solvable. It just need someone with the right knowledge.

Otherwise the screen runs at the proper resolution, and works with graphic/video applications.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i see. its been about half a yr since that issue came up and havent found a solution i am assuming i guess it'll prob not get solved lol

6. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't say that. Senordingdong is busy running his own business. He's not a modder with lots of free time. He hasn't abandoned the problem.

However, a well known contributor to the Chinese Lenovo blog 51nb, Leo Kim, has already solved the problem of editing the Nvidia VBIOS to output to 8 bit. (our goal) It's reaching him that's the problem. He also posted some time ago to the Thinkpad forum here in the US. I have tried to contact him there, as well as through the administrator of 51nb (using Bing Translator) but haven't had any luck so far. So the problem has been solved. It's just reaching the fellow that's challenging.

He posts on Chinese and Korean websites, so if someone in our community speaks those languages, and wants to try and reach the reclusive Mr. Kim, that would be helpful.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    ole!!! and Dominick_7 like this.
  7. Art B.

Art B. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thought I would let people know that I have installed the Win 10 Creators update on two dragons with the Nvidia GPU and a Samsung Pro SSD. Run great. Here is what you need to watch out for. During the download disable your anti virus and firewall. Make sure all external stuff like wireless mice and headphones are disconnected. Turn off bluetooth. Set your computer power option to high performance and if you have an SSD makes sure under advance power option settings that turn off under battery and plugged in is set to NEVER or zero. In Nvidia control panel under 3D Nvidia global power option needs to be set to maximum performance and you need to click the program tab and check every application and if any are set to adaptive change it to maximum performance. In particular, this needs to be done for MS office apps. Under previous versions of windows 10, setting the power option to high performance would make the fan run all the time unless you change it to passive mode. Don't do that. Keep it active mode. For some reason the fan in active power mode is well controlled under the Win 10 creator update. Then download the update and let it install. Should be fine. One more gotcha. I was using a netgear router and had their genie program running on startup on one of the computers. That would cause the creator update to freeze intermittently because we are no longer using the netgear router. It was replaced with Google fiber equipment. Once Netgear genie was uninstalled, Win 10 creator update runs perfectly. Also there used to be a program that fixed the registry so Nvidia adaptive performance was turned off. It does not work any more and you need to do it manually thru the control panel as explained above. We use these 2 computer full time and they do everything we want in the office. Obviously not for playing today's games. Oh and I assume the tv won't work but isn't it analog anyway? Never tried it myself. I bought these 2nd hand years ago.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  8. Ottoman90

Ottoman90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys its my first ime ever posting an enquiry online i have a hdx 9300 previously had a 9000 but sold it lucky enough i managed to find a 9300 with nvidia graphics everytime i get a laptop first thing i do is replace thermal compound/pads clean dust install fresh OS and drivers done but i noticed something on the motherboard there is a soldered wire going from a 8 legged chip 2 middle pins to what looks like a ground point anyone know what this is for the laptop has never been opened before so its not done by previous owner or anything any help i would appreciate it thanks

9. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

It's best if you upload a picture of it there was a few owners who done mods in the past .
    Does all the ports work ok ???

10. donihue

donihue Newbie

Reputations:
    Art B.
    Many thanks for your post with its detailed instructions. I have manged to upgrade my Nvidia GPU Dragon (with SSD) to Win10 v1511, but despite following scrupulously your instructions, I have repeatedly been unable to upgrade to the newer Anniversary or Creators editions. I was wondering if you had any further suggestions for settings which might work?
    Regards
    Donihue