*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. maxdata63

maxdata63 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay but if i have no answer from the keyboard ? ( i tried a usb keyboard and no LED were ON).

If i put the motherboard with only : CPU - GPU - RAM -Cable Screen is this computer able to boot or it need mor cables ?

2. maxdata63

maxdata63 Newbie

Reputations:
    The difference between the old dead card in the computer and the new one is :

optical drive flashing one time instead of infinite loop
    Caps Led Flash one time at start up.

3. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Did the cap light keep flicking all the time when you had the old graphic card in with the same mother board !!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. TheSentinel

TheSentinel Newbie

Reputations:
    I think that would be a worthy mod for the otherwise retired HDX that's been in my garage for a few years to give it some new life. Once I replace the screen inverter, she'll be in good shape. Now if I could just find one of those WUXGA screens somewhere...small patch of dead pixels on the current one.

I just got bored and decided to pull it back out and install an OS on it. Windows 10 seems to be friendly with most of the components except the TV tuner. The screen just likes to cut off if bumped in the slightest bit.

I have been following this thread for years, thanks to all who contributed, its immensely helpful.

5. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod® Super Moderator

Reputations:
    *Thumbs up, winks.*

TheSentinel likes this.
  6. rogue_ronin

rogue_ronin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just got my Dragon back after lending it to my roommate for a year or so. It's just fantastic, isn't it? Like putting on an old pair of shoes.

Working so well under Linux, too, I forgot how smooth. I need to do that video card upgrade when I get enough scratch laying around.

Anyone know if senordingdong can upgrade a motherboard alone -- ie: I buy one from ebay and send it to him?

Anyone suggest another mod or improvement? My current list is in my sig.

Aloha

Dominick_7 likes this.
  7. donihue

donihue Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to report that I have been successfully using the Nvidia 342.01 driver with Win10 v1507 for some months now on my ancient Dragon. I have, however, been unable to update Win10 to the v1611 (not to speak of the new Creator version) - always a blank black screen at the end of the installation process, and subsequent reversion to v1507.

8. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey, Donahue. What has been your overall experience with Windows 10 vs 7 or other OSes?

9. donihue

donihue Newbie

Reputations:
    I have used Win10 since it came out, with initial video driver problems, since resolved. I find it perfectly stable and (once the start menu is replaced) an excellent upgrade from Win7 (I have not used Win8). The only problem I have had (apart from being unable to upgrade from v1507) is one others have also had regarding the occasional start-up with a severely dimmed screen - easily corrected but annoying and inexplicable.

10. mar-i

mar-i Newbie

Reputations:
    msata disc in mpce2 slot not recogniced at all. Hm, no bug, a feature, right?
    nowadays those slots *shoud* not be just mechanically compatible, but well, back in the good old days :(