*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. paparon

paparon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    tks. I thought I had read somewhere in an earlier post that there were some different drivers for 8/8.1. I'll give them a shot today. So far my poor ol' Dragon doesn't seem to like 8.1 very well.

2. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    The issue is the version of powermizer that's built into the card. So no drivers newer than what's on page 1 will work unless one disables powermizer.

Otherwise, Windows 8.1 should work fine.

3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    kinda sucks powermizer provides automatic performance switching but newer drivers have way better performance lol. i just keep my hdx on lowest performance for graphics and only up it when watching videos or playing games.

4. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

is it realy that much better than the standard drivers for the gpu (257.21) to use on standard cd films as well as blueray dvd or loaded from the net, as I was thinking of buying another dragon which is for sale with a 1920-1200 screen -8800 gpu??

5. Alfre

Alfre Guest

Reputations:
    I had no idea such a post existed with all this info about this computer. Everything would have been much easier if I had known all this instead of googling for it :D

Anyway, I am currently trying to install on it Mountain Lion with Niresh. Is there anyone with experience about this?
    I have followed this guide; How to install OS X Mountain Lion on your PC with Niresh
    But I am not able to change the BIOS settings (SATA control mode to AHCI and HPET to 64). Seems that the motherboard doesn't support it.

I was able to install Niresh, but it won't boot unless I change the BIOS settings.

Thank you in advance for the help.

6. paparon

paparon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Both drivers ended with an error message and would not install - wrong OS per error message.
    I deleted the NVidia driver and went back to the basic MS driver. So good so far. I'm not a gamer so, hopefully, will continue to work without freezing up.

7. 2.0

Reputations:
    No, the new drivers are mostly game performance enhancements. Some of which is DX 11 which won't matter on the HDX since the 8800M is DX 10.

unityole likes this.
  8. 2.0

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, such settings do not exist on the HDX's BIOS. It might be possible to have the BIOS modified to support at least the ACHI/IDE switch. TTAV132 on MyDigitalLife forum did such a mod for me for my DV5s. Short of that, I can't think of a way to get it to work. Perhaps a Pre-Boot environment with the SATA driver somehow slipstreamed into it - the same way one had to do if they wanted to install Windows XP on the HDX. But in that case, NLite was used to slipstream the SATA driver into the XP install files.

Perhaps creating a bootable USB flash drive, then using autoexec.bat or Config.sys to load the SATA driver. If you were able to modified the Niresh media disc to load that driver on startup, perhaps it might work.

Here's a link to the XP SATA driver: XP SATA driver

Good luck.

9. 2.0

Reputations:
    You're still going to have the problem since Powermizer runs all the time and all newer driver will have the problem. (Unless the default Win8 driver is not Nvidia specific but is a VGA mode driver).

That said, you can get those Win7 drivers to work, you just have to modify the inf file and then install it via a reboot into Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Mode.

See this tutorial on how to do it: Getting older drivers to work in Windows 8 | PC Pro blog

10. Alfre

Alfre Guest

Reputations:
    Thank you for the help, I really apreciate it. I will keep doing my research, with your idea of modifying the BIOS in mind, but I am not sure if I will have enough knowledge to make it. I will post here if I get to do it.

Thank you!