*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    can we use that remote to, example play game? any special function thats worth using on the remote cause I have mine sitting there never touched. surely battery died but can't think of anything to use it with. i mean, wouldnt a wireless mouse with multiple buttons be better act like a remote too.

2. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    You can turn on/sleep, control volume, control media player or iTunes(with a patch), forward/back on any picture app, scroll up/dn on wepages, forward/back... the list goes on. You have to try it out with everything you use. But it does have many uses. Most not even documented. Though I never tried it with any games.

Your battery should still be good. It's a lithium button cell CR2032. I'm still using the same one.

unityole likes this.
  3. I_am_Sam

I_am_Sam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last night disaster struck. The computer was running fine but then the screen got garbled up with green pixels (it was hooked up to a HDTV through HDMI) and the system crashed. When I did a hard reset, the computer would load up normally but no video was displayed either through the HDMI or the built in screen.

My assumption is this is a pretty good indicator that the graphics card is dead. I had the 8800m GTS card in it.

My question is, has anyone been able to fix this easily or am I just going to have to replace the card? Also, does anyone know of a cheap place to get this replacement card?

Also, so that I get the correct card, does anyone have the part number for the 8800m GTS that is in the Dragon? Or are all 8800m GTS the same?

Thank you!

4. 2.0

Reputations:
    See page 1, post 1 for the possibilities and part numbers. You have to get the exact HP card as it is proprietary.

If you Google the part number, you will find all the places it's available. Prices vary widely.

5. I_am_Sam

Reputations:
    I'm taking my laptop in for service because I don't feel comfortable taking it apart. Will the part number be on the graphics card for the service man to replace?

Thanks,

Edit: According to the first post, the HP part number is 454311-001. Would this card work? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4543...-GeForce-8800M-GTS-MXM-III-HE/1480145942.html

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    Yes it will work as long as the part number matches and the seller is being honest.

A word of caution about getting it serviced: provide the tech with the service manual otherwise they are liable to destroy the HDX. To be honest, I've not know a single tech beside myself and people here that have properly taken apart the HDX. Most tech people break some part, fail to connect a harness, or misplace the screws because taking apart the HDX isn't intuitive. One needs the service manual.

You really could tackle it yourself. The service manual and videos are on the first page. You could even try a "bake" before buying a card. Review page 1 again for instructions on baking.

7. I_am_Sam

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply. I actually did print out the entire service manual (thank God for company printers) and provided that to them. Luckily, this place is one of the best shops in Houston so I feel fairly confident they can take care of it... I hope anyways.

I tried taking it apart last night but either out of frustration or just exhaustion I wasn't having too good of luck. I figured I better let someone who has a steadier hand and more experience handle it.

They're also going to attempt to bake it for me and see if that works. We'll see.

8. 2.0

Reputations:
    Sounds like you're in good hands then. As long as they have the manual, everything should go well. Quick note about baking - it's not a permanent fix. It's really a temporary one. You're better off in the long run getting a new card. If you were tech savvy, then baking is a viable option since you could open the HDX, remove the card, and bake at will. Or at least up to 3 times.

9. paparon

paparon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope I am not going to be sorry, BUT. I installed 8 and updated to 8.1 yesterday. What I'm looking for is the best driver for my NVidia card. I currently have 331.65 and do get the lockups that typically go with the less than best NVidia driver.

10. 2.0

Reputations:
    The drivers on page 1, post 1.