*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    But think about it; even if the 280M were more reliable (which it likely is), it doesn't add up financially until your GPU dies twice. The 8800M GTS only costs ~$350-$400. 280M GTX is $800+.

Overclocking a GPU is fine provided that you do it properly. I've run my HDX's O/C for years now. No issues. The temp increase is about 4-5Deg C which is nothing in the grand scene. And since the ability to O/C the 280M GTX is limited, there's not much advantage to it other than the increased memory to 1GB from 512MB.

Sure, I keep my fans clean quarterly. But even twice a year should be good enough if you have no pets (cats especially) and keep the desk it sits on reasonably dusted.

As for the quad core project, it's novel (and only for the most technically inclined to even attempt) but if it can't be overclocked there not much advantage over the X9000 or X9100. It's more of a "proof of concept" project.

Once one gets an X9000, O/C the GPU and gets an SSD, the HDX is maxed out. But that's a max that will last you a few more years before becoming too ancient to be of much use anymore and you'll be desperate for an upgrade.

2. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems more like a hinge to support tablet functions... man... a 20 inch screen notebook/tablet with touch AND if with a wacom that's a done deal... with top or good specs this would be KILLER. And WITH ADVERTISING. Trekkies might just get it because it's associated with the movie. This is the pretty much the ONLY way Id see myself actually using Windows 8.

3. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    If it's a Wacom digitizer, then expect to pay north of $4k. To start. Cintiq at ~22" size already costs about $2k. They would likely go with the simple capacitive touch screen most tablets have. That's all Win8 requires. Not to be fully pen enabled like a Tablet PC.

Speaking of Win 8, have you seen office 2013? It's like Fisher Price Office, pastel edition. I hate it.

4. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Plain and simple most of the nvidia re flows I have done are 8000 series GPUs. Not only did they have BGA failures they had bump gates failure, which can also be remedy (sometimes) by reflows or baking. I remember my friend who I did a lot of these re flows with reading the article and discussing it with me.

5. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Note 2 and Note series all have a more subdued Wacom and it works REALLY well, with just 1024 points of pressure. If it had the kind of pressure points that the Cintiqs have then sure, but if they just went with the one in the Notes or similar to it it would be enough and wouldn't cost that much. Don't think it'd be worth it without something like that. Dont recall if Wacom only allows that one in the Notes as if they have an agreement with only Samsung. Thought Sony had a tablet or some other company with something just like that already.

Yea its as disgusting as Windows 8. They are doing this on purpose. It's like GMOs= genetically modified organisms the message is clear.. they replace two sections of DNA with pesticide and wait for it, ecoli, ie crap, bacteria/virus. Almost all of these corps invest into eugenics and it applies to Microsofts designs it seems more so after Windows 7. I get cancer looking at Windows 8 and would likely have an aneurysm if exposed to Office 2013 for too long.

6. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As I wrote, I think there are only a few with the GPU solder trouble on the HDX. I think there are now more problems with broken cable in the hinge region connected to inverter failures.
    Consider hardly a notebook is used over such a long period of time. I do not flap my screen on and often, but come over the years, but some operations together.

Movements dispay 2008-2013, 1x open, 1x close per day were 4380 movements.
    The cable regardless of whether it is time in between. It remembers every move.
    So you could move the screen in one day 4380x :D

Yes, I know we do not have New Year's Eve. So there are only about 4170 movements. ;) (Not for me, my HDX remains open)

No. And then only with the vacuum cleaner from the outside. This is obviously not very efficient. However, I have no high GPU load. I play rarely.
    Also, my GPU fan is throttled. It remains to 60 degrees at idle. (I am very noise sensitive)
    Thus, very little dust is sucked. My GPU temperature is usually at about 48 degrees (200MHz and write to you straight).
    But I've also open 30 tabs in the background.

If necessary, I switch to 275MHz (eg watching youtube videos). Then the GPU temperature goes up to 54 degrees. (Consider fan is throttled)

This is my main computer. However, I notice a slight increase Idletemp. It would be about time to renew the thermal paste. My other HDX will be 44Grad in idle.

"Herr Professor" :cool: :err: :D

This question is "2.0" already answered. In addition to the following:
    650MHz is not my recommendation to play. This is only for limit determination. 610MHz is ok for me. The temperature should be kept in mind, but the margin is relatively high.
    In addition, the HDX has a great cooling performance. Also dusty.
    In addition, the GPU starts to slow down in case of overheating. Exactly like the CPU.
    So there is always a security.

A test with another one of my notebooks revealed a temperature of 182 degrees Celsius. (Nvidia 8400M GS) Yes, an extreme test, but also interesting what the GPU can survive.

[​IMG]
    Not recommended for imitation!

I translated it often individually, but? Definitely it's a fun play on my steaming. (Cigarette replacement)

Some can not translate easily. :(

7. RickiBerlin

Reputations:
    @ 2.0

Do you know why more than 30 posts in this thread are gone?
    And if so, what posts are gone?
    Are these from several users, or by a particular person?
    The contributions of "nando4" in my opinion are all still available.

For information:

I use the standard display 10 posts per page.
    For older links related to high page numbers disappearance becomes clear.

Example: Your link from page 1 to a post of mine.

Theme: "Better Tutorial Concerning higher than 257.21 drivers (Thanks to rickiBerlin):"

Here 'is the original link from page 1 - : forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/515212-hp-hdx-9000-dragon-owners-lounge-part-2-a-547.html#post8546134

Here is a current link to the same post: forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/515212-hp-hdx-9000-dragon-owners-lounge-part-2-a-544.html#post8546134

As you can see this post was previously on page 547 Now the article on page 544 is Since missing three full pages. And now there are certainly more. :eek:

Maybe it's also about appointment of company or brand name.
    I look forward to your reply.

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    @Ricki and all

I have some BAD and some REALLY BAD news regarding the GPU and maybe some (but just a little) light in the end of the tunnel.

Straight to the point - you DON'T have electrical MXM :( The physical connector is MXM, but the wiring is different. That's the bad news! The really bad ones - a simple LVDS rewire wont bring success either, as both MXMs (Dragon's MXM and Standard MXM) are overlapping some crucial points. A picture worth more than 1000 words they say, so here you are a few (5920G, 8530w, Dragon):

5920G.jpg 8530w.jpg Dragon.jpg

Why it wont work? Because your "LVDS_RXE0+ LVDS_RXE0- LVDS_RXE1+ LVDS_RXE1-" corresponds to the back-light control of the Standard MXM. Even if you rewire it, you'll probably loose the back-light, the control, or both. Why those LVDS lines are important? That's the 2nd channel of the LVDS. They aren't important for low-resolutions, but it would s**k to look at 20" @1280x800. Here's the LVDS displays standard input:

LVDS pin.jpg

As you can see "LVDS_RXE0+ LVDS_RXE0- LVDS_RXE1+ LVDS_RXE1-" are from utmost importance for the 2nd channel :(

Where is the light then? As proved from no-tech and eugene2878 it outputs to HDMI just fine, which according to the schematics, it shouldn't. How and why, I'm still a laser printer short to investigate it further.

As of now, I would suggest not to waste your time and money on GPU upgrades, that's if you want internal display.

That's it for now, sorry for bringing the bad news :(

LOL :D

9. RickiBerlin

Reputations:
    The message would have been worse, C2Q not possible. ;)

At the same time with your post, I built my Quadro FX3700M again in my test HDX. You say a picture is worth a thousand words. I see similar. Sorry for your low bandwidth.

[​IMG]
    click photo for high resolution!

Note: A real QuadHDX. "Quad CPU" and "quad GPU".
    Unfortunately, all with less power and resolution than single core.
    :err: :laugh:

The picture shows again exactly your statement. The resolution I have to keep extremely low, otherwise display on the HDX's nothing to read.
    The correlations were, however, not clear to me.

Your work and help, I really appreciate very much. Your post brings a lot of light into the darkness, but unfortunately not on the HDX display. :(

Thanks for your information! :notworthy:

My GPU tests are thus ended for all time. My Quadro FX3700M is sold. Or would they have? Only condition C2Quad functionality on the HDX. :D

10. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    LOL, you and your mobile device comparisons...

Anyway, I have a convertible tablet PC with Wacom digitizer with about about 256 to 512 levels of pressure sensitivity. It works well with programs like ArtRage. But looking at the hinge of that machine, it doesn't speak "convertible tablet" to me. There's no flip over or radial pivot point. So there's no reason for them to make it pen enabled. Just touch enabled as that's all Win8 requires. It would be extremely awkward to use a pen on an upright screen. Plus the screen would also have to be hardened with Gorilla Glass or equivalent. All that adds cost.

Do you remember the poster who posted a snap on device that worked with the HDX to allow IR pen use on screen?