*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tried this and while it shows up in the device manager and even in change adapter settings in control panel it doesn't work. When I try to repair it in change adapter settings via control panel-networking, it can't fix it either. I added the 5300 driver frim intel when I first set up windows 7 to make sure it had the most updated version. I had it plugged up via ethernet as I always do and that at least works.

2. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sweet muchas gracias senior! Don't know what I did to my wifi and I don't want to think about what I may do to my could if I try overclocking without directions.

3. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @2.0

In which way the behavior of the CPU clock in Battery? (EIST off)
    Previously, the clock is yes to 6x (T9300) is limited.
    As I understand the EIST is indeed only by reflash original bios switched.

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Overclocking HDX9000 - ICS9LPRS501PGLF PLL

The dualIDA is a nice free mod. 2.0 advised the HDX9000 uses a ICS9LPRS501PGLF PLL which is TME-locked. So could get further overclocking by applying a TME-unlock and/or FSLx PLL pinmod, summarized below.

Consider a T9300 has been successfully dualIDA + PLL-pinmod overclocked to 3.6Ghz as shown by the M1330-T9300 example at http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...verclocking-methods-examples.html#post4998927 . A T8300 could theoretically go up to 3.4Ghz.

The hardware modifications steps involved to do a HDX9000 PLL pinmod being:

1. Use Thaiphoon Burner or SPDTool to change the 333Mhz RAM CAS to be 6 to accomodate running a faster FSB. Better yet would be changing the complete 333Mhz SPTtable to be the same as a 400Mhz SPDtable entry. The RAM should have then have sufficient headroom to accomodate running at the slightly faster 444Mhz speed (@266Mhz PLL).

2. TME-unlock pinmod: Just attach one leg of a 33ohm resistor to the pad attached to PLL pin 4, the other leg of the resistor to the GND copper point just to the left of it. Then just confirm that TME _READBACK flag (registor 9 bit 6=0) in setfsb to confirm it's unlocked as shown in the left image here. Then use setfsb to overclock in 1Mhz increments up to the point of instability.

3. FSLx pinmod the PLL from 200->266Mhz: run a strong pull down resistor (eg: 33 ohm) from FSLB pin 57 to GND.

4. CPU likely needs more voltage using the VID4+Vss cpu pinmod as described below to give a stable overclock.

In either case it would be recommended to find a resistor running off the PLL pin and tap that instead of trying to run wires on the tiny PLL legs.
    [​IMG]
    ICS9LPRS501PGLF PLL details from the datasheet
    Picture of the HDX9000 PLL/systemboard

[​IMG]

We see that pin57 (FSLB) does have a resistor off it, making it very easy to disconnect the resistor and connect the PLL side track to GND to force 266Mhz PLL operation.

VID4+Vss CPU pinmod required

Based on ark.intel.com, the T9300 has a voltage range of 0.95V-1.25V, giving the VID table as shown below.

[​IMG]

We see the RED VID4+Vss is all that you require. That would increase Throttlestop's 1.1125-1.25V listing by 0.2V to now actually be 1.3125-1.45. So you'd bootup at 12.5x@1.45V and could then use Throttlestop to lower down to 1.1125 (which is really 1.3125V) once in Win7 if it's stable at that low level. That's plenty of overvolting range to get you a stable overclock at your highest multiplier.

All voltages b/w 0.95-1.10 will be unaffected since they already have VID4=0, so your battery life will be unaffected. Though you'll probably want to test for the highest stable multiplier at the lowest voltage to get best undervolted DC profile as well. Would require fine tuning because of the 200->266Mhz PLL overclock.

If you did a VID3+Vss mod, then the VID3 entries BLUE entries would see their voltage increase by 0.1V. I wouldn't anticipate you requiring such a mod.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  5. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    The PLL package in the HDX is MLF. Would cutting pin 57(FSLB) and soldering it to pin 58(GND) do the trick?

6. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Pin57 is on the TSSOP package. Yes, disconnecting pin57 from the rest of the circuit, then connecting it to GND (pin58) would get the PLL running at 266Mhz. So as long as the CPU, RAM and chipset can handle it, your T9300-2.5 would be running at 3.3Ghz at x12.5, or 3.6Ghz with Throttlestop's dualIDA mode at x13.5. The RAM would likely need the CAS altered as mentioned. 266Mhz operation has otherwise been successful on other 965PM/Santa Rosa systems shown in http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...verclocking-methods-examples.html#post4998927 .

7. 2.0

Reputations:
    Good deal. Looks like a mission for later this week. Just have to figure out how to use SPDTool to burn RAM to CAS 6.

8. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Is it a square or rectangular PLL? You referred to the rectangular pinout but said it was a square package.

9. mike t

mike t Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    At this point, I'd delete all my wireless settings, do a complete shutdown/cold start, then try adding a new wireless network setting.

10. 2.0

Reputations:
    Right, my bad. Rectangular.