*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Burke

Burke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes there is a physical limitation; you will have to flash in IDE mode. The HDX is AHCI only (RAID is irrelevant).

2. S_K_I

S_K_I Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, if that's the case then, I'm gonna have to re-think this because Agility series SSD's have been known to fail a lot without the latest firmware installed on them, and I don't want to go through this sort of headache. So rather than risk it I cancelled the order to wait for the newer Octane series that's just being released and wait to see how their new Indilinx controller work. Thanks Burke

3. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Though, you can do what's called a destructive flash using the HDX and a jumper on the drive. OCZ has been a lot better about supplying the destructive flash firmwares. A destructive flash is run via windows environment. You put the SSD with jumper in the 2nd bay to do it.

I've done a few destructive flashes this way.

But I also have a modified BIOS on my DV5 that allows me to switch to IDE mode. TTAV123 did it for me (same who did the HDX mod BIOS originally). I don't think he's around anymore. He's on or used to be on Mydigitallife forums. I'll see if he can do a IDE option for the HDX if I find him.

4. Burke

Reputations:
    It's a huge problem for me as well as I have never owned a desktop which is required for a flash.

I complained on the OCZ forums because trim didn't work on my 1.4 firmware and the response I got was :
    "1/ You find a PC to update your FW to 1.5 (must be run on IDE mode from CD or USB key without jumper)
    2/ You gently ask to Ryder (ocz staff and main mod on OCZ forums)that OCZ updates your drive for you"

The second suggestion is a joke because it implies that somehow customer support is a personal favour. Anyway I am able to keep my ssd at peak performance with freeSpaceCleaner and PerfectDisk pro.

5. S_K_I

Reputations:
    That would be great 2.0 if you could do that, the only issue that's a deal breaker for me is the firmware. So if it works out I might reconsider this order, who knows....

And Burke:
    Yea, it's funny you mentioned that because prior to placing my order I went to the OCZ forums to get more information regarding firmware updates and instead I got caught reading posts with people complaining and the forum mods being asses to them, so it was kinda funny and scary at the same time.

3rd edit: So wait just-read something you said Burke, a desktop is needed. So can I simply just grab any desktop and swap in the SSD and peform the update from there? Sounds simple to me.

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    Yep! Exactly what motivated me to ask TTAV123 to mod my DV5 BIOS for IDE mode option. Before that, I would go to my neighbor's house and hook up to his desktop to do the FW updates.

Exactly. Read my little story about about neighbor's desktop.

I'm definitely going to look into getting an IDE option for the HDX BIOS. It should be there since it is based of the Elitebook BIOS which has that.

7. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Everything really nice posts. Apparently now write all that never had an SSD.

There were also a contribution to this subject has taken from me. (see here)

"OCZ" may for some time in the 'AHCI Mode' are flashed on the toolbox. It is best if a second drive with OS is available. New firmware makes "OCZ" but not better. New firmware just put off until the next problem.

But who buys OCZ? Who buys problems? Have fun!

Here the "toolbox update guide" and here latest firmware and more.

8. 2.0

Reputations:
    LOL. Well said, Ricki. Well said.

I had problems trying to update to the latest FW so I figured I'd just stay where I am for the time being. The latest FW is said to "significantly increase write endurance." But not worth the chance if it might also brick the drive.

BTW, I got NvidiaInspector running and using it to switch clocks as you said. Works great. Uninstalled Nvidia System tools since it's not needed anymore. I'll update that post of mine as soon as I get some free, free time.

9. Burke

Reputations:

Yes, the problem is that most laptops don't have IDE. Most desktops should have it though.

10. S_K_I

Reputations:
    One more question I had. I have a basic concept of IDE and AHCI, to a limited extent of course. Now, don't butcher me for my ignorance, but if I were to say swap the SSD into an IDE capable destkop and update the firmware, will I simply be able to reswap the updated SSD back into my AHCI dragon and mount the cloned image from from my back up from there? Or are there other bios/registry settings I still have to tweak to get everything going again?