*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Yes, there is a way to use them. I'm running it now. Involves disabling powermizer and then setting up profiles that set the clocks to desired settings.

I had planned on doing a write up on how it is done. It's not hard but is a little involved. If you can't wait, search RickiBerlin's posts on how to do it. Perhaps a month or two back and you'll find it. I've done this method before in the old thread but don't recall if I actually did a write up. It's been a while for myself. I was gone for many months.

If you don't disable powermizer, the driver will crash your system, often.

2. 2.0

Reputations:
    How to Install and run Nvidia 285.00 and higher Drivers:

<marquee>Special thanks to RickiBerlin for introducing the community to Nvidia PowerMizer Manager</marquee>

Files you will need:

Nvidia Driver: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers
    Nvidia System Tools: NVIDIA DRIVERS 6.06
    Nvidia PowerMizer Manager: PowerMizer Manager | Some More Bytes
    Nvidia GPU Observer Sidebar Gadget: http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=49

Before starting, you may want to Acronis or image your system in case of a FUBAR SNAFU.

Procedure:

1. Uninstalling current driver

a. Turn off your Wifi and/or disconnect your network if that is how you connect to the net. (Just hit the radio touch panel button so it turns orange.)
    b. Uninstall your current driver.
    c. When you reboot, Win7/Vista should install Standard VGA Driver. You'll see a tray ballon pop up reporting that that is the case.
    If it didn't, it means you've been installing driver on top of driver. Shame on you, really. :p 'Cause now we have to go about getting you back to the Standard VGA driver which is proof that you cleared out your drivers.
    How to go about cleaning out past drivers:
    Make sure Wifi and/or network is disconnected. We don't want Windows looking in Windows update for a driver.
    Go to control panel/device manager.
    Click on Display Adapters
    Click Properties on the Nvidia 8800M GTS entry
    Choose uninstall driver and be certain to tick the Delete Driver check box. Hit OK.
    Reboot when it tells you or when you are done.
    You may need to repeat this process a few times after each reboot until Win7 installs the Standard VGA Driver by itself.

2. Install latest Nvidia Driver. Reboot.

3. Disabling PowerMizer.

a. Leave Wifi or network off. Do NOT open a browser yet. There's a high probability of crashing if you do.
    b. Run Nvidia PowerMizer Manager that you downloaded.
    [​IMG]
    c. Click "Create powermizer settings."
    d. Click Instant Apply. You might want to do a system restore also, just in case.
    e. Powermizer is now disabled and the driver will run proper. You may reconnect to the internet by turning Wifi on or connecting your network cable.

4. Install Nvidia System Tools to create clock profiles.

a. You'll be presented with 3 options when installing Nvidia System Tools. You only need Performance. But you can install the other two if you like.
    b. Reboot.
    c. Right-click your desktop and chose Nvidia Control Panel
    d. Click performance and accept the EULA. ​

5. Creating Nvidia Clock Profiles.

This is necessary since you lost the ability to automatically adjust the clocks due to disabling PowerMizer.

[​IMG]

a. Click device settings, then click custom bubble.

Set Core Clock to 200mhz
    Set Memory Clock to 100mhz
    Set Shader Clock to 400mhz

Then click "Save to Profile"
    Name this: Standard

We need to make 2 or 3 more profiles following the procedure above. (Core/Memory/Shader):name
    - 325/300/650 : Boost
    - 500/799/1250: High
    - XXX/XXX/XXXX: Overclock <--- I left these numbers out since not everyone's GPU overclocks the same. If you know yours, create the profile with your numbers.

b. Setting a default profile to load at boot.

Click Profile Properties under the performance subsection.

[​IMG]
    • Under "take this action" click "Load this profile" box to put a check mark.
    • In the box under "When the following conditions are met" click "the system first starts Windows"
    • Then click the Right arrow to deposit that condition in the rightmost box.
    • In that right most box, you will see, "load this profile." Click the linked/undelined word Profile.
    • You will be presented with your profiles in a file dialog box. Select Standard. Click ok.
    • On the profile screen, to the right of the box, click accept.
    • Then click Apply. (You may have to scroll down a bit to see it depending on the size of the window.

6. Creating a Custom Toolbar for your taskbar to set clocks.

You want this because, well, it's sweet. (And you need this in order to set clocks at will and whim.)
    It'll look like this when you're done:

[​IMG]

When you game, set to Overclock or High.
    Sometimes for videos, you would need to set Boost or High.
    Regular web browsing and office work, leave it at Standard.

Keeping it on standard unless you need otherwise will keep the GPU coolest. What you will notice with powermizer disabled it that the GPU idle temps will be higher than it was before. Figure on 47 DegC to 52 DegC as your new normal when on Standard Clocks.

Procedure:

• Open windows Explorer. Click organize and folder and search options. Click view tab.
    • Under "Hidden files and folders" click the bubble before "show hidden files and folders and drives" Also uncheck "hide protected operating system files" (When you're all done with this, you can set things back the way they were.)
    • Hit Apply/OK.

[​IMG]

• Navigate to: C:\Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\Profiles
    • Right click each profile and create a shortcut for it.
    • Create a Folder in your C: directory named nvMODE and drag each of these profile shortcuts into it.
    • Rename each short cut like what you see above in the picture. e.g. 1 Standard 200.100.400 Mhz and so forth
    • Now right click your taskbar and select Toolbars. Then click "new toolbar"
    • Select the nvMODE folder you created that has all the profile shortcuts in it.
    • Voila! You're done.

Now, to get that cool Nvidia logo next to each, You have to click each profile shortcut in directory nvMOde.
      Then hit properties, then click change icon. A dialog box will pop up. Hit browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display
      Click on Nvtray and you'll see the icon in the dialog box. Click that icon and hit OK. Repeat for each profile shortcut.

7. Install Windows Gadget: Nvidia GPU Observer to monitor GPU temps and clocks:

[​IMG]

You'll note that the gadget reports your core and memory clocks, so you can always know which profile you are running.

Now you're done. Go enjoy. :)

ALTERNATIVE MEANS to Set Clocks - Using only Nvidia Inspector/No Nvidia Performance installed or uninstalled.

Download Nvidia Inspector: OrbLog Blog Archive NVIDIA Inspector 1.95 &#8211; Tool

Procedure:

1. Create a directory for NVidia Inspector. Then open Nvidia Inspector.

[​IMG]

2. Click "show overclocking" in bottom right.

3. Set clocks, then hit "Create clocks shortcut" at bottom left of 2nd panel. The program will place a shortcut to engage those clocks on your desktop.

4. Repeat for each level you want. Then close Nvidia Inspector.

5. You can rename each clock setting shortcut to whatever you like.

6. You can change the icons of the shortcut also. Right click shortcut and select properties. Then hit the customize tab.

7 I dragged my shortcuts to the taskbar. I only use two. Idle and Overclock.

3. eto1976

eto1976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll surely try it asap and report back.

Yes it worked flawlessly...
    one mention, when rebooted after uninstalling the drivers, yeah, it came up VGA but the balloon popping up intalled 8800 drivers...not a generic VGA...but uninstalled those and installed the last ones.
    Anyway, never noticed the updated post and run NFS on low settings :D winning :D

Muchos Gracias

4. 2.0

Reputations:
    De nada... You're welcome. :)

5. kohai

kohai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have ATIs, but I have no machines running W7. All of mine run either WVU64 or WVH64. Bought a copy of W7 off eBay last year and it came brand new and sealed with the hologram and everything. Must have fallen off the back of a truck though, because about 6 months later, MS put the key in a list of bad keys, and it stopped working. At that point, I just bought an OEM set of WVU64 disks from HP.

6. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think it fell off a truck from China.

7. kohai

kohai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think if that were the case, it wouldn't have worked and registered originally. My guess is some sort of domestic truck theft. MS kept track of the serial numbers and the associated keys in each shipment, and then eventually marked them in their system as invalid, and that went out in security updates and invalidated my operating system.

8. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did the same from eBay. It originally registered properly but became expired when I tried to reinstall it. It was likely because it was bought as a bulk order. Then when they were used by the original owner/business or another purchaser used it several times, and then I used the same serial it went beyond its restrictions and got blacklisted. All I did was call Microsoft and for $10 I got a brand new serial for good because it was a genuine full retail version. If yours is retail/full you could likely do the same.

9. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome powermizer instructions 2.0! Thanks for the great write up!

10. DRAGONe

DRAGONe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Reason(s) other than reported misfortune? Successful V GPU driver upgrade? Don'tcha wish trash trucks had doors, and glad that waste haulers do? Still got the CoA - post an upclose hirez pic, I've come to understand there are five easily identifiable required characteristics, visible to the naked eye without opening the packaging, to validate authenticity. Gotta' luv' 'dem recovery discs.

Alibaba used to brazenly display W7U for $30 on their site, less even when you bought in bulk - likely why fleaBay is infested, no secret 90% is counterfeit.

Since there are so many methods to produce a workable, at least initially, fake (e.g., crack/hack, obfuscating/obscuring applets, rogue MSDN subscription, SLIC/SLP/SPP emulator code mods, software key geners, etc.), it may not have been theft.

WHY ALL OF THE SUDDEN DID SEVERAL BIG BLACKED OUT SUVs ARRIVE AND IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER SOMEONE DRESSED IN A BLACK SUIT/TIE KNOCK AT EVERY ENTRANCE TO MY HOME, AND NOW ALL MY PHONES ARE RINGING WITH AN UNRECOGNIZED TONE, BUT NO CID DISPLAYED? COULD IT BE ... OOH NO, IT'S THE TWINS - BIG BROTHER & BIG MONEY :eek: !

I'VE GOT TO FINISH THIS QUICKLY THEY'RE BREAKIN' WINDOWS AND BUSTIN' THRU DOORS!!!

... but why do they have one of those fancy longsleeve buckleup white jackets and those sparkling sticks with them? What's he sayin' - sounded alot like, "Call the Doc, he's off his meds again."

PLEASE! could 'ya loosen that bottom strap just a little - it's kinda' tight (he says in a very high Soprano voice). :laugh:

K's was NIB sealed, yours? Same CoA message. K was likely the victim of fraud; the situation you outline describes M$ license terms being violated and the code/key flagged/potentially invalidated.