*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This makes me assume that it's just the slot that were modified if there indeed is no compatible upgrade for the Dragon. There are no loose-wire gpu mods on the Dragon 8800m (wire with 2 random solder points), and logically nVidia wouldn't alter a gpu circuit just for one pc. But the connectors, possibly.

I've been searching for a pc with our same 8800m which can be upgraded, but no success. Very annoying how these parts become virtually unsearchable once they have been discontinued.

2. ferchusolima

ferchusolima Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    link for the video card replacement, some information.

Upgrade / Replace a Notebook Video Card - Notebookcheck.net Tech

But, 8800m gts is 65 nm and gtx 280m is 55 nm, ahhh but MXM is the same type 3 right?, i'm learning, i don't know about this but, good luck trying, this laptop is great, sound, screen, materials, everything, not cheap computer, i bought mine just 2 weeks before discontinued. Sorry for mi english.

3. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    The nm doesn't matter per se. Just like the T-7xxx series Merom CPUs in the first iteration of the Dragon(HDX9000-9100) are 65nm but the T9xxx series Penryn CPUs are 45nm used in the latter iteration of the Dragon(HDX 9200-9400). All of which are socket P.

There are two versions of the MXM format for the 280M. MXM 2.1 and MXM 3.0. The HDX adhere's to MXM 2.1 format, up to MXM-III/HE. IT is not compatible with the MXM 3.0 cards as they have a different connector.

4. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And 3.0 also comes in a and b flavors (3.0a, 3.0b), confusing the 280m line even more!!

So many different versions---including that it can be flashed to become recognized and operate as other cards--but not one for the Dragon......:confused:

5. DRAGONe

DRAGONe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's just good that 2.0 is only available in his original flavor!

6. Brembrad

Brembrad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Been awhile since last post but now about to take Dragon on the road again. 2 months in Japan. Looking at upgrading Ram and a HDD. Possibly upgrade to W7U also. Anyway for Ram, looking at the GSkill 4GB chips. there are 5300/6400 that both seem to work. They come in single packs or 2x4gb. Weird thing is the single ones are cheaper than half the kit price. Is it a big deal to have matched pairs in dragon?

And for SSD I am looking at a Vertex 2 60GB as I have 2-320GB's atm. 1 is the original 5400-8mb, 2nd is a 7200-16mb. Do the vertex 2's have the right dimensions for the Dragon? Also is anyone selling or know where to pick up an inexpensive enclosure for extra 320gb?

Thanks for all the help in advance,
    Brad

T8100
    2-320GB
    1680x1050 20.1"
    4gb ram
    gt8800m

7. jakubd

jakubd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is only advisable to have similar modules (identical is the best solution). It's not important if those come from one package or 2 separate boxes.
    Anyway I had many laptops with 2 completely different modules and until those chips were up to the required specs there was no problem.
    Yes, any 2,5" SATA SSD drive will fit dragon. So far I haven't seen any 12,5mm SSD drives. Vertex 2 is a regular sata SSD 9,5mm drive.
    Any 2,5" USB enclosure will be OK but you might want to have one with an extra eSATA connector to get better trasnfer speeds, but it might be more complicated to connect (USB requires just an USB cable, but for eSATA you need to attach eSATA cable AND power cable connected to USB port or external power supply).

8. lschulz

lschulz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  9. DRAGONe

DRAGONe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why RAM? Very little real world impact UNLESS of course you find that your software is bumping its head on the ceiling now ... Not essential; best.
    SSD (V2 60 - best bang for upgrade buck until G3s start selling, IMNSHO; looks like Newegg has the best deal until Nov) & 7U definitely.
    Perfect.
    Why (if for drive protection, I understand you travel, or need for speed, I get it) enclosure and not dock? I ask because they aren't as easy to use or flexible in their usage capabilities. Here is a combined search that will give you the most options.

10. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Lancorp recommended them to me, I recommended them to DV7T, then between the two of us, word went forth into the world... :D