*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ok guys maybe your right. i really don't need the t9xx cpu especially if i can overclock the t8100.

2.0, i know it's possible to clock mine to 2.3, but to 2.8 ish?? is this because of the new pll stuff?

also i thank you kindly above all kindness for your offer anyway.

2. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Yep, because of the PLL allows you to overclock the front side bus(FSB). Stock speed on the FSB is 200mhz. That's why you get 2.1ghz. Your T8100 has a max 10.5x multiplier. It multiplies the FSB. 200mhz FSB x 10.5 = 2100Mhz.

Take your FSB to 250Mhz, then at 10.5 multiplier = 2625Mhz.

But with Throttlestop + modded BIOS with Dual IDA, you get two more multipliers. 11 and 11.5.

So with a FSB @ 250Mhz, 11.5 multiplier, you get 2875Mhz.

The advantage of a T9xxx CPU is the 6MB cache as compared to the 3MB cache on the T8100. So that's another increase in processing power.

3. Stewed Therapist

Stewed Therapist Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I'm another Dragon "tragic" hoping to join the ranks, if I may.

I love this machine, have had computers since the 70's (not an expert, just a fascination with computing) and for all the "wows" I have had in my(digital) life nothing has served my needs so succinctly like the Dragon.
    - HP take notice-

I would like to thank all of you on this forum, a profound THANK YOU for all the help and effort you have given.

now if only I can avoid being sued by RickiBerlin for the moniker :D

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    T8100/T8300/T9300/T9500 are all 45nm cool-running cpus, perfect for overclocking. The T8xxx's lower cache would mean it will not hit cache OC walls as early as the T9xxx series, so may very well be able to run at a higher BCLK. Elle's T8100 may very well then see 260x11.5 (2.99Ghz) or 270x11.5 (3.1Ghz) or even more. Trying such a T8100 OC would help identify if the cpu, systemboard or RAM is the OC wall that 2.0 saw at 250Mhz.

Consider that a P8400-2.26, another 45nm Penryn with 3MB of cache, was overclocked to 3.6Ghz here. Same link shows FSLx pinmodded (200->266) T8100s, so the more flexible TME-unlock method may see more gains. A T8300-2.4, cheaper and with less cache than a T9300, but with 1.5x more multipliers than a T8100 would then be the pick for most flexible bargain-basement OCing.

Thank you for my "4444" beer or three :D

Welcome Stewie .. ah.. Stewed Therapist. lol.

5. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it's very promising. seems like if there is an oc wall, that greater cache would prevent it from hitting it as soon as lower cache, no?

anyway...does this all depend on not just software, but the hardware mod? hate to ask a blonde question.

6. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Yep, hardware mod is essential. The PLL chip in the HDX is TME locked (at boot up, a logical 1 is sent to pin 4 of the PLL telling the PLL to lock the FSB @ 200mhz). It prevents FSB overclocking via software. The hardware mod (1k pulldown resistor from pin 4 of PLL to ground) sends the PLL a logical 0 telling it to unlock the FSB.

With the PLL now unlocked(via hardware mod), software can program the PLL, telling it what frequency in Mhz to set the FSB.

I can overclock all the way up to 265Mhz. My particular CPU isn't stable enough at that level, with only 1.2125v, to use reliably. As soon as I hit 266mhz on the FSB, it bluescreens. This same thing happened when I tried to do another type of hardware PLL overclock called FSLx. That type of hardware mod sets the FSB to 266Mhz. No software is required. Here it crashes because there is not enough voltage to support CPU operation. I would need 1.25V or more. For that I would have to mod the CPU socket (BSEL mod) by jumping 2 pins to get the extra volts.

7. slot

slot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks
    I had it set wrong !!!!!
    The temperature rose too.

Thank you very much.

8. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OCZ Vertex LE updated firmware (1.32). I accidentally posted LE 2, but incidentally the Vertex LE and Vertex 2 are virtually identical so hence any confusion. I had over 450 when the drive was still sparkly, but this seems good example enough:

[​IMG]

9. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I am pleased. :) I'm also still about what is not with you in order. (due to high temperature in idle GPU) (for others see here, and Link in thi post)

On "HWMonitor" I did not think I had warned repeatedly before.
    So it's helpful that I always put in links to the past of my own contributions. (like this)

Maybe should be "2.0" normal idle temperature of the HDX ("min 42 " max "48 C " "200MHz at 0.9V and a fan in idle) mention in its first page. Then everyone knows, if everything is ok with him, or he must look in the Treat.

Experienced users can "HWMonitor" but also "USE_ACPI = 1" (Original setting) use. There are also an advantage.
    Although the HDX and quiet operation, with a slightly higher GPU base load.
    Everyone knows that You watch as a video (media player or YouTube or Bluray or or or). Now the GPU temperature rises just above 53 C and the fan is in stage 2 This is not necessary and annoying by noise. The temperature also increases with fan in Level 1 is not in a critical area. (max 60 C).
    60 C for a GPU comfortable temperature. Their ears also feel comfortable (Fan Level 1) and all are happy.

An example: of course with a link . (at the end.) :)
    In this example we see one of my other notebooks.
    The GPU (8400M GS) Idle temperature is 68-75 degrees C at reduced GPU frequency to 275MHz (energy saving mode).
    In the energy profile "Balanced" and "maximum power" 400MHz = 85 C.
    (before I repair to "87 C at 275MHz and 400MHz at 95 C in idle!)
    For more details see here!

This notebook (Medion 96 370) is only available in Germany. If you look at EBay Germany, can be found at any time 20 deffekte for sale. I bought it for 80 € and repaired. (original price end of 2008 900 €)
    Since the GPU is sitting on the motherboard I could not bake this.
    More details here.
    This will show a GPU will survive 200 C. (short term)

The laptop is running better now than in factory condition.

This example illustrates only the high temperature is not a major problem. Main problem is rapidly changing the temperature and the difference between "GPU processor" and "GPU Board.

@ Slot
    This is your GPU temperature in idle is so high, no blame "HWMonitor. In idle (before 53 C) has "HWMonitor" no effect.
    On your "HDX" You must have installed something, which creates high GPU load in idle. "HWMonitor increased only between 53 C your real problem, because it disables fan level 2.

Vice versa, this means if "HWMonitor"with "USE_ACPI = 0 " or not run, your fan is in idle at level 2 as temperature exceeds 53 C.

This would be unacceptable for me!

If you do not mind,--> ok.
    If it bothers you, then look for the causative program!
    A negative example for me is and will remain for "adobe flash player" with GPU support. (all versions after 10.0.45.2)
    See here an old post of mine. I had it somewhere explained in more detail. (Unfortunately, I find it is not)
    I could see no advantage of the new Flash. On the contrary, with old Flash smoother playback of HD video at a lower GPU temperature.

This will be only one example. Sure, other software nonsensical GPU load generated in idle.

For me, at least with GPU Idle 275MHz0.9V Powermizer "off" 43-46 C fan all the time in the Level 1 Idle. (Fan Idle)
    "HWMonitor" run or not run, "USE_ACPI = 1" or "USE_ACPI = 0" has no effect as "GPU"is always below 53 C. :)

10. cutthroat_jake

cutthroat_jake Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is the wattage of the resistor important? I'm finding it difficult to find a 1k Ohm resistor at 1/8w, they all seem to be 0.25w.

CJ