*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Only if it could self-analyze for the possible solution (i.e. peak harmonic or whatever). But I still wish you the benefit of a pin in this haystack. It just doesn't make sense a stable won't be found. No pun intended

2. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    all this techy tech is making me feel blonder than blonde :)

speaking of techy speak...did the modded bioses (both f40e and f41e) change recently? i noticed they do not have the notepad files in them any more? yes they did before, since i have those files that i downloaded a few weeks ago or so.

3. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    It's not all bad. SetFSB works perfectly. Though, have to scale up to 250 in 9mhz intervals. I'll try 10mhz intervals (edit: nope 10 crashes). Anyway, I can overclock stable to 250Mhz FSB for 3.366 GHz. If spread spectrum disabled, the 3.375. This is with Dual IDA enabled and multiplier set to 13.5. Volts @ 1.2125

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    No go then with setpll. Would require experimentation to figure out what the issue is.

hpfan/hwinfo32 need a SMSC fan controller as is provided on new Elitebooks. You require a DSDT override instead as was used to successfully quieten down a 2510P fan here which I've summarized below for experimentation.

HDX9000 fan speed control via DSDT override

1. Extract HDX9000-DSDT-F35.zip. The F35 DSDT table has two bytes that differ from the F36 table. It was noted that F36 added "fan always on" so those bytes may have something to do with that.

2. Open HDX9000-DSDT-F35.dsl, search for "C327". Change fan percentages from the defaults below. These percentages will be altered by some other trip temp points. I don't bother altering the trip points. You can monitor the system and approximate the cpu/gpu temps that trigger the higher fan speed. These fan speeds are a straight hex fan-on percentages.

Code:
    Name (C327, Package (0x05) // This will be C328 in bios F41
            {
                0x64,  // 100%
                0x46,  // 70%
                0x3C,  // 60%
                0x2D,  // 45%
                0x14   // 20%
            })
    3. Do a DSDT override by running 'load'. Reboot the system. If you Win7 BSODs on startup then use "Last good configuration" bootitem otherwise note that the system should now be using a different fan speed profile.

4. If want to remove the DSDT override then run 'unload'.

F.41 has details of the bios mod. F.40E had only a blurb. Neither file has been changed since it's initial release.

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    BTW, ran 3Dmark06. Score 10352.
    FSB PLL o/c 250Mhz
    T9300 @ 3.366Ghz
    8800M GTS @ 610/975/1525.

Max temps on CPU 63/59 Deg C
    Max temp on GPU 67 DegC.

Not bad. :D

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    @ Nando, excellent.

Though, does that require BIOS F35 to be run or will that work with F36 and up?

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    It was presented as F35-type fan-control for F36 and up, though I haven't compared to see how much F40/F41's DSDT differ to F36, if at all. If you are really concerned then

0. Extract HDX9000-DSDT-F35.zip to obtain the iasl.exe and asl.exe binaries required.

1. extract your system's F40E/F41 DSDT table using 'iasl -g'. This will create dsdt_8510x.dsl.

2. edit the dsdt_8510x.dsl file fan percentages from their default values. Search for "C327" or "C328" in F41 to see the fan table below. Modify these to your preferred fan speed.
    Code:
    Name (C327, Package (0x05)
            {
                0x64,  // 100%
                0x46,  // 70%
                0x3C,  // 60%
                0x2D,  // 45%
                0x14   // 20%
            })
    3. use 'iasl dsdt_8510x.dsl' followed by 'asl.exe /loadtable dsdt_8510x.aml' to compile then load your DSDT table override.

4. Reboot your system for the table to take effect. If happen to get a BSOD then use "last good configuration" bootitem.

You may motice too that the DSDT OEM Table ID is "8510x". Likely then the HDX9000 has similar underpinnings to a HP 8510p/w.

8. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry, I missed the "Wooooohoooooo!!!! YEAH!!! 3.37 GHz on my t9300!!!" within all the machine talk. :D I'm pretty sure it registered while I was reading, but I still see your ultimate goal colored all over the posts. (something like PLL 333MHz, correct?)

That's probably just about as working as you can have the Dragon without needing, ahem, gpu overhaul. The only real reason for 3.6 MHz+ seems to be boot time or brags. Stuff like Adobe gets more out of a ssd (or ramdisk) than cpu. (this wasn't meant to sound like advice)

9. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:

You are an angel! This is really a perfect idea. :)

Ranges are all potential benefits of new BIOS versions (for example F.41 "NOWL" noEIST) combines with the old fan controller.

Test (carried out under "nando4" "NOWL" "noEIST" F.41 BIOS)

You had unfortunately not written, UAC must be "off"! Administrative Start is not enough!
    I've been looking, because no change was evident.

Only when I UAC "off", the "new (old F.35E) values​​" adopted.

Unfortunately it came at the "Reboot in Windows7Professional64bit" to BSOD. (very strange because F.35E is an original HDX Bios)
    Here's a picture for possible conclusions:

I have to now, the "C327 values​​" changed nothing.
    Means "HDX9000-DSDT-F35 is currently not on" HDX "usable.

This I will carry for another test under VistaHP32.

Many thanks to you for your help! (+ Rep if this means anything to you) :notworthy:

If you have any ideas, I ask for information. For example, ideas for other values ​​in "C327", or elsewhere.

"Vista" test in the near future ....

Please excuse my spelling! This is Google translation 'RickiBerlin sentence construction ") :rolleyes:

10. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Since you got a BSOD I would recommend that you extract your system's DSDT table and mod it's fan percentages as described here.