*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Black Knight

Black Knight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alright, in fact I wasn't planning about canceling the transaction with HP... But about the test? In fact he short theory is not that absurd, since today I did notice that the power supply here is not properly grounded and kind of defective since at one point made a small sparkle with no apparent reason (the plug was correctly inserted).

1) What are these tests I can make?

2) If it doesn't die (any time soon) shoud I go on with the surgery, and put anyway the arctic silver? (which I have ordered as well)

Thanks

2. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're right! Preventative care is best, so if you could borrow another's gpu to deduce that is not the issue. But now you have a fresh card, so that'll do as well.

Though your computer works now, I assume, the two symptoms were very serious. If you don't know how to test your card or motherboard away from each other, then I'd find someone who can.

2.0 trusts the new card will do the trick, and to your benefit I hope the same since obviously something is not quite right even if it is now working.

3. Black Knight

Reputations:
    Thanks, you guys are always very kind, I wonder if there is a test I can make right now that everything seems fine to figure out if one of the two has a problem or if unfortunately I have to wait until the dragon is agonizing again. If I go on and open the machine could I find any clue by just looking at things?

4. Jesse L

Jesse L Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are their settings in the Marvel gigabit controller to optimize your ping?

5. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I highly doubt it except for if the cable isn't quite connected or you can see metallic particles lying around on the circuit board. Analyzing the microcircuitry with a meter would probably just give you a headache, and even then replacing whatever is fidgety is dangerous to the entire board. Motherboard problems equal replacement probably 99.9+% of the time.

Did you recently open up and or vacuum your dragon's interior? This could have created the disturbance

2.0, I'm curious as to why you think output to external display is any different from internal display. The gpu must still be commanded by the mobo via an orchestration from the components (cpu, etc). An output port is just a manipulation of the original signal.

6. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    I fixed an HDX with this issue last year. Thought it was the backlight so I shone a torch on the screen at a 45 degree angle. Ordinarily you can faintly see if the display is on using this method. Plugged it into external via VGA and the display was fuzzy. HDMI had blocks and odd jumbling of graphics.

Broke the rig down to see if the RAM had proper heat sinking. There's no way to monitor the RAM temps on these boards since there's no sensor. Turns out two of the RAM chips didn't have proper contact with the sponge-like heat transfer material. Put it back together and it worked... for a bit. Then randomly would have issues from failed boots, to lockups, to driver crashes, to black screens, to fuzzy external. Then one day (2weeks later, that is), it just died altogether.

Fix: new video card.

7. jakubd

jakubd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's really an impressive beast when it comes to data crunching (4 cores and 4 extra hyperthreading cores) and GPU (ATI/AMD 5850). Full metal construction makes is as strong as MacBook Pro 17". But the size (17,3") and weight (around 4kg) makes it a "perfect" composition of all the worst from the smaller laptops and our beloved Dragon:
    - It's not so mobile (like Dragon)
    - It has this awful shiny screen (I really prefer matte screens for my work, like I have in 8510p)
    - It is loud compared to Dragon (sometimes as loud as 8510p) and also gets warm. All due to just one, small vent.
    - It has slightly awkward keyboard layout (f-keys and direction keys)
    - Odd trackpad, where buttons are also covered with active part for moving the mouse cursor - leads to some manipulation problems, you have to get used to it
    - Screen is only 1920x1080 (those extra 120 pixels really make difference for me compared with Dragon)
    - Only 2h on standard battery (like Dragon - my 8510p with 2 batteries give me 8h, MPB 17" can also reach 8h).
    And last but not least: It's hard to find a good backpack for it :)

But all this is not so important, when you take into account CPU, GPU, backlit keyboard with numpad and the metal construction.

So far it seems I'm switching to Envy as my main workhorse, 8510p goes back to HP service for some repairs (broken power supply, broken keyboard, broken USB port, problems with overheating - geez, what happened with this HP quality... I liked my old nc6000 so much...). But Dragon, my diamond in the crown :) stays where it was: as main multimedia station and video-editing hardware. Now with x9000 :)

8. Black Knight

Reputations:
    I cleaned the fans back in June, because it was overheating. At the time it just turned itself off every once in a while. That was also the reason I tended to believe it was the graphic card which had suffered from that. But you are right the MOBO could heve been the cause of this. Although I am not sure whether a defective wall plug could manage to shock a laptot through the power brick and all... Or maybe there is some loose part inside that is creating problems.

Anyway now everything looks fine, I guess I'll keep the spare graphic card just to make sure, an maybe sell it next year if I get no problems anymore.

What's the matter with the Nvidia people? We are not supported anymore? The Nvidia site only offers an old 179.48 (beta!) for 8800M GTS cards? What's the best driver so far? (due to my trouble I need to reinstall drivers)

*Sorry I just noticed 2.0 mentions 197.45 in the opening post

FAILED TO INSTALL THE DRIVERS ON PAGE 1

Windows Vista and Windows 7 x64 (64-bit) - http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...387a79bd62.cab

Once I downloaded and unrar I deleted the file nv_disp.inf (there is no nvdisp.inf !!), then by starting setup.exe I got the message:
    "Nvidia cannot locate any drivers compatible with your hardware"

I just wanted to point that out. Guess I am going back to an older one.

9. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Delete the nv_disp.cat file also. There's no reason it shouldn't install unless there's someihing wrong with the gpu.

10. elmerfud

elmerfud Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm trying to fit a 1TB drive (WD Scorpio) into my Dragon. It would fit if one could find a SATA to SATA cable to allow it to plug in properly.

Any ideas ?