*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Burke
    If I read correctly? You have a pagefile.sys of 16GB?
    160GB would not make more sense? :D Sorry!
    Or, this was only a trial size because of the re-defective RAM?
    I'm really sorry for you.

2. Burke

Burke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Micro 8gb 5300 667 RAM worked best with a page file of 16GB. This was a trial page file because I was testing the RAM. IT seems to crash every time there is some stress on the memory or there is a heavy usage of it. It also appears to me to get very hot. Now this is only a presumption from touching the HDX plastic base as there are no temperature sensors for RAM (so I've read). However, it is worth a punt and anyone can buy it test it and if it does't work, return it.

3. RickiBerlin

RickiBerlin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Burke
    This is very strange. With your old original RAM you have no problems?
    If the new RAM and the necessary timing values (CL5-5-5-15)?
    But I presume. For 69 pounds it is probably no CL4-4-4-12.
    On the screen of Amazon and in the text are indeed in this respect any values.

Oh 16GB page file are of course a lot of good.
    Even if I had a Pagifile (I work without) this would not even at 12GB (1,5xRAM) But this is now not the problem.

EDIT:

If the new RAM timing values CL5-5-5-15, have you ever tested one? (1x4GB)
    You can also stick to a portion of your old RAM. For example, old 2GB + 4GB new.
    Perhaps only one module is defective.
    Also, you can create you a bootable Memtest CD. See Here
    I had this on my first 8GB RAM installation did. The result for me 0 errors.

4. Mrkruz

Mrkruz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Reassuring to see the board still up and thriving, even when the HDX has reached "obsolete" status in HP's eyes.

I like the initial thread with reference info to areas of interest; some of which, were EXACTLY what I came to look for.

I do have a couple of quick questions, though:) :

1st question:
    I've found an x7900 on ebay for a decent price (half of the x9000's i've seen) - it does NOT specify SLAYY but SLAF4 and I want to be sure it will work with my 9010. I don't use it for gaming(much), moreso music creation & production here are the specs of the CPU I want to buy:
    Type - CPU / Microprocessor
    Family - Intel Core 2 Extreme Mobile
    Processor number - X7900
    Part number - LF80537GG0724ML
    Frequency (GHz) - 2.8
    Frequency in LFM mode (GHz) - 1.2
    Frequency in SLFM mode (GHz) - 0.8
    Bus speed (MHz) ? - 800
    Clock multiplier ? - 14
    Package type - 478-pin micro-FCPGA
    Socket type - Socket P
    Core stepping - G0
    Manufacturing technology (micron) - 0.065
    Number of cores - 2
    L2 cache size (MB) ? - 4
    Features
    - EM64T technology ? -
    - Enhanced SpeedStep technology ?
    - FSB frequency switching
    - Virtualization technology
    Core voltage (V) ? - 1.075 - 1.25
    Core voltage in LFM mode (V) - 0.9375 - 1
    Core voltage in SLFM mode (V) - 0.8 - 0.9
    Case temperature (°C) ? - 100
    Thermal Design Power (Watt) ? - 44

2nd question:
    Since having to re-install win7 x64 on a new drive, my sub has stopped playing, and my TV tuner driver errors out while trying to install. Any suggestions?

3rd question:
    Any *MUST HAVE/DO* suggestions to beef up the performance after my cpu upgrade is complete? I currently have 4gb ram, & the factory dvd-rom.

Thanks for entertaining my questions, you guys have helped me in the past on another dragon I had and i'm sure you will know what's best...

5. Burke

Burke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My hdx came with Hyundai Hynix 4gb 5-5-5-15 (September 2007). Since then I have not had a single problem with it. The only reason my laptop ever crashed, rarely, was the GPU, nothing else.
    Also I thought the same, that I can work it without a page file, but it doesn't like that. Anyway I don't want to test it anymore because besides the usual freeze I get from a crash the RAM gave me a nasty grey screen last time which I've never seen before.
    Another thing which is besides the subject. I've upgraded the RAM in my macbook and when I pulled the old ram (about 3 years old) the pins are corroded (bit rusty and also grotty), the macbook came with 2gb RAM made by M. Not sure what M is but that's all it says on the chips, perhaps another trait of cheap RAM, corrosion.

6. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's all good. :)

Though, if you overclock it past 3.0ghz, expect more fan noise. Perhaps you can undervolt it using Throttlestop. I mean, you can undervolt it. But by how much remains to be seen. Trial and error. Use Wprime and Intel burn test to test stability of undervolt.

Anyway, when you get it, come back up in here and we'll walk you through what needs to be done. Unless of course you figure it out beforehand. Then we'll just swap notes. ;)

Install driver 5607 for audio. SP40438.

TV tuner install can be a little tricky. SP38987. run as administrator and select vista compatibility mode. Let it sit for a few minutes before doing anything. It might not seem like it is installing but it is.

SSD in bay 1. WD scorpio Black 7200 RPM 500GB HDD in bay 2. As good as it gets.

7. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you like the Scorpio Black? It's supposed to be the best conventional notebook drive out there.

Can you hear it in operation?

8. 2.0

Reputations:
    It's very good, very fast. Great IOPS. Great as an OS drive. Boots slower than an SSD of course, but once you're at the desktop, things are nearly as quick as an SSD.

You can hear it but it sounds like a very low fan. Blends in with the HDX's fan noise. In fact when it sleeps, you might not notice that it did unless you are keen to the sound difference.

9. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds great. They're around $69.00 on Amazon, and user reviews are positive regarding reliability. Great that it's fast at the desktop.

10. 2.0

Reputations:
    I bought 3 of them from Newegg for that price each. Reliability is the strong point. Check the Newegg reviews also. Nothing worse than a drive this large going belly up. I never had a HDD go bad on me and I don't want to start now. Another good drive is the WD AV series. I'm using that to archive videos and it's been bullet-proof.