*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. DRAGONe

DRAGONe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Space... the Final Frontier.

These are the voyages of the starship DRAGON

Its TWO-year mission: ...

... to explore strange new worlds; ...

... to seek out new life ...

... and new civilizations; ...

... to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Cue music; show graphic of laptop zooming across screen with continents passing beneath.

My work here is done - BRAVO Live long and prosper Captain CompTrekkie!

triturbo likes this.
  2. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Only know of the Revoltec Thermal Freeze. Can't recommend it because it flows too easily and isn't very good thermally.

If you need another name, see if you can find Tuniq TX-2 or TX-3.

Vaya con Dios, mi hermano. Vaya con Dios.

*Solemn bow*

:)

3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe the Borg have also done the upgrade, but it's hard to get reliable information out of them.

Bravo!

MobileArtist

4. Black Knight

Black Knight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, guess I'll drive to Rome downtown then (want a colosseo hashtray for that big cigar?) ;)

5. jakubd

jakubd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today I did a triple surgical operation on my laptops :) I started with heart-transplant by putting X9000 (bought on an auction for around $250, not an ES) into my beloved Dragon 9494NR (T8100 stays as a spare). Then I have exchanged RAM with my aging HP 8510p to have 8GB in Dragon.
    At the same time I was upgrading my just-acquired HP ENVY 17" to 8GB of RAM and exchanging the 2nd drive to WD10TPVT: 1TB, 12.5mm drive (yes, this drive fits ENVY). After finishing Dragon's processor upgrade I decided to check for you, if there is any chance of fitting 12.5mm drive in the Dragon. Result was easy to predict: there is ABSOLUTELY NO chance to fit it without modding the case. The bay is just not deep enough. The connectors on the drive are too high to match the mainboard SATA ports.
    There is possibility of cutting a hole in the bottom part of the bay but I would not recommend it: 2 plate hard drives are already reaching 750GB and the possible side effects (less sturdy bottom of the laptop and risk of exposing of the mainboard and possible shorting of some circuits on it) make this not so interesting solution.

PS: Keeping my fingers crossed for CompTrekkie's trip to the Unknown Grounds, Mordor, Twilight Zone, Sector Gamma... you name it :)

6. Black Knight

Reputations:
    Captain the strangest thing happened!!

Now the dragon is apparently working again.

How is that possible? What shold I do? Well I ordered from HP another graphic card, which maybe I'll be able to sell if I see that I don't need it anymore... But what about this one? Two days ago it was dead, yesterday again it was dead, and only gave a distorted image on an external monitor, today I turn it on after having done nothing at all... The only possible cause is the heat? But as I said when it "broke" the PC didn't feel particularly warm... But in fact it broke while playing a game.
    The only change I can think of from yestardey to today is the external temp, the other day was kind of warm dry, today a little rain...

Any suggestions\ideas?

Anything I could do to prevent future troubles? Any opinions?

Should I go for a torture test or just wait...?

The graphic card right not is at 45° while I am just running windows and firefox it jumps to 52° if I start skype too (normal?) didn't dare trying games...

7. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:

8. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like an internal 'short'---a motherboard problem---because if the card were dead, it would almost definitely stay dead. But best not to make a diagnosis at this point unless you or other professional can do all the fun tests.

YOU ARE AWESOME!! :twitchy:

You are absolutely right about the gaming situation because I've tried several 2009-2010 sorts on an HDX18 w/9600m @1080p and they run very well (dao, sc2). The world economy has influenced the rate of upgrades demand....so you will probably be well ahead of it with a 280m/x9000/8GB/SSD/Dragon hypercraft. (enter Plasma Breather!!)

and I am very jealous I have not been able to do this! :mad:

9. Black Knight

Reputations:
    ehm...What about making a diagnosis BEFORE the patient dies? Anything I can do then?

10. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    You're experiencing first/early stage of video card death. It's good that you got another card.