*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    which has more potential for upgrade?

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The nVidia one is definitely better

3. LeviA

LeviA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At the moment, no HDX model has the potential to upgrade, as HP has blocked the possibility of changing the original equipment. Reading this thread, I noticed that aftermarket graphics cards do not send a signal to the internal screen. Now I found out that vbios is in the laptop bios, which makes the whole thing much more complicated. Probably the only solution is to edit the bios and replace vbios with vbios of another graphics card, but I worry about one thing ... what about cards that have vbios in themselves? Do the original Ati / Nvidia graphics cards do not have vbios because vbios is already in the laptop bios and read the parameters from there?

It is a pity that such a great laptop has such a limitation. Hopefully one day I will hear that the GPU upgrade is no longer a problem, just like upgrading the wi-fi card.

4. remdale

Reputations:
    What's the deal if the replacement video card will be working at PCI 1.1? My study has shown that there's no point in doing video card upgrades with this laptop, the performace will basically stay the same.
    Some cards don't need BIOS chip because it comes built-in in the system BIOS. But it's possible to move vBIOS into the HDX

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    kimutler likes this.
  5. remdale

Reputations:
    I got another Dragon with ATI BIOS F06. Here's the dump if you need it https://www.mediafire.com/file/we9oitste8sa9qg/F06_ATI.BIN/file

I'm looking for people who could help me do a motherboard swap. 8770W's board was recommended by @MobileArtist
    The idea is to make a complete redesign of the original board to fit the Dragon's chassis. The project requires a lot of free time, so I'm looking for people who would like to be involved. We have 8770W's schematics in PDF. What needs to be done now is to make a complete copy (with some minor changes) of it in a CAD software and generate a circut board. And then print it out and do all the soldering, then debug. The sound system would definitely have to be taken from the original Dragon's schematics. I'm thinking on starting a company, so I want this simple thing to be the beginning. Who's in?

6. Rikintosh

Rikintosh Newbie

Reputations:
    I've done a lot of notebook chassis repairs (I'm a notebook collector), and I've played with replacement boards on some models, I have a dead HDX20, if anyone wants to supply an 8770W motherboard, I can study what is needed and put it it inside my hdx20. I was going to build a raspberry or a super small computer inside it.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    I got 8770W's main and daughter boards and I can play around with fitting all dimensions. Can you copy the schematics? What CAD are you using?