*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Rikintosh

Rikintosh Newbie

Reputations:
    ATI HD 2600 XT or make the FX3700M mod? I read somewhere that the models that use 8800GTS only accept 8800GTS, the only ones that accept another card are the ones that come with an ATI...

Anyone know anything about using video card from another HP notebook? I did some research, and found people selling video card like "for hdx 20 and HP 8710p" Does the hp 8710p have compatibility? I found an 8400gs or something like that (6050A2107401) t, which was an 8510p (I believe it's the 15" version of the 8710p which is 17") for a price more or less ok he 8710p originally comes with an fx1600 (451377-001)

I don't mind having a crap video card as long as it shows a image on the screen...

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In your case, it would be enough to flash the ATI BIOS if you decide to install 2600 XT. FX3700M mod would involve more work to be done.
    I've looked thought the schematics of 8510p and 8710p. 8710p outputs only 6-bit LVDS, but 8510p can do 8 bits. The schematics of FX1600M (NVS 320M) shows that it's able to output 8 bits which gives a hope. The only thing I'm wondering about is why both laptops have 2.5V power connected to the MXM slot while it's supposed to be used for SLI connection. I assume the absence of 2.5V will not affect anything, the same as it was for my FX3700M mod. But you will have to play around with replacing the VBIOS. HDMI won't probably work.

3. LeviA

LeviA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! Quite recently, I bought an HP HDX9000 DRAGON with a Radeon HD2600XT for very little money. Laptop booted up but showed no video. It turned out that the laptop displayed an image, only the screen backlight did not work (shining a flashlight on the screen confirmed the fault). After replacing the inverter, the backlight came back, but another problem appeared. The screen flashed on and off when the flap was moved. Of course, the LVDS cable was to blame. Everything works after replacement. Now I put everything back together and I have a small problem with the mechanism that locks the screen flap to the pole? / Stator? My point is that when you lift the screen flap, there is some mechanism there that releases the screen flap halfway through opening the laptop. While taking this display pole / stator apart, it literally fired a plastic piece with two small springs. Have any of you dismantled this pole / stator? and could you advise me with a photo of how these elements should be mounted? The laptop made a huge impression on me. The biggest and prettiest laptop I've ever seen.

4. LeviA

Reputations:
    OK, I've already done it and the laptop is assembled, but there was a problem with the installation of the system. When assembling the laptop, I also checked the CR2032 battery and it had 1.25V, which is more than half less than it should have. I bought a new one and installed it and there was a problem. During startup, the message 163 time & date not set is displayed and after that a black screen (you can see a working backlight) where nothing is happening, and the system should be booting. There is no time setting in bios, so how do I get rid of this error?

5. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

what operation system are you using
    w 7 or 10 32 or 64 bit do you know what bios you have f40 or f41by what you say it sounds like you have another hardware problem every time i strip down and change a bios battery this is what you get
    (time & date not set ) it not a problem as you set the time & date when your os is up and running
    are you sure the cable you replaced is connected ok it can work loose behind the screen

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  6. LeviA

Reputations:
    I can go into the bios and there I can sit for hours and the image does not disappear even once. I can move the screen down, up front, back and in the bios nothing worrying about the image on the screen is happening. I tried to install windows 7 64bit, but the laptop does not boot with usb. I took the hard drive out of my laptop and connected it to another computer where I went through the windows 7 installation process. After the installation of the system is complete, it reboots. After the automatic reboot, I turned off the computer and put it back into my HP laptop to finish setting up the system on the first start, but nothing happens. Laptop freezes after message 163 date & time not set. Booting from usb (I tried with 4 pendrives) doesn't work, and booting from the original windows vista 32bit disc also doesn't work. There is nothing I can do with this damned message. I read on the internet to set the time and date manually in the system or in bios, but I can't even install the system, and in bios I can't set the time. I have an old F06 bios version. I wanted to set up the system, download the modified F40 bios from this forum and install it. I am curious if the laptop has gone stupid after I plugged it with another ATI Mobility Radeon HD4850 graphics card with MSI GT725. There was only a black screen when I turned on the laptop, but in the background it seemed to me that everything starts up to the point of this error with date and time. After that, I put the original HD2600XT graphics card back in and the image came back. Do you think that changing the graphics card could mess up something on the laptop? I also tried connecting to an external monitor via HDMI, but the laptop still boots to the internal screen despite pressing fn + F4, ctrl + F4. I will try to get a VGA cable. I also replaced the processor with the T9300 and it detects it normally in the bios.

7. LeviA

Reputations:
    Through VGA, the laptop displays the image on the external monitor, however, it is the same as on the internal screen ... after error 163 time & date not set black screen with backlight and nothing happens.

8. kimutler

Reputations:
    put your original ATI HD2600XT graphics card back first then try this below

i just found this old file in my notes it sorted a problem like yours not saying it will but what have you got to loose

Here's how: flash the bios

1. Download latest bios from HP and extract to a folder.

2. Extract either NV.cab or ATI.cab depending on your graphics card.

3. Open the ver.txt file and look for the string after '_ROM_' (for F.40 bios it was '68DVD').

4. Rename Rom.bin to 68DVD.BIN

5. Copy the 68DVD.BIN file to a freshly formatted (not bootable) floppy.

6. Remove battery from HDX.

7. Plug a USB floppy drive into the HDX and place the floppy with the bios file in it.

8. Hold down Win and B keys and turn on the power.

9. Release keys when floppy is accessed.

10. Sit back and wait about two minutes for your HDX to rise from the dead!

This would probably work with a CD or USB flash drive too

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  9. LeviA

Reputations:

Can I install the modified F40 bios from the front page? After unpacking, apart from the files you mentioned kimutler there are 2 files named HP HDX93xx and my version of the laptop is HP HDX9070E0. Should I just ignore these files and extract the Ati.cab? I want to be 100% sure that I am uploading the correct bios.

10. kimutler

Reputations:

the modified F40 bios is for hp hdx9200 and on with the 8800 graphic card i never loaded that bios as it was used for upgrading the wifi card and clocking locked cpu,s as well as other mods

try this one
    HP Pavilion HDX9050EF BIOS v.F.41 Rev. v.F.41 Re. (driverscollection.com) if the link still works this one i have running on a older hp hdx9000 model with no problems

LeviA likes this.