*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm well aware that you're not interested in doing that, and in no way am frowning on your audacious project. My comments were directed towards those who might be inclined to do so based on a desire to keep the aesthetic and ergonomic functionality of the Dragon. Whatever you are doing will provide important lessons for a motherboard swap.

I thoroughly understand that once you cut away the screen that you were crossing the Rubicon.

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hopefully, anybody would like to do the swap, but I can barely imagine anybody doing this because it's not that easy. First of all, it would involve buying several motherboards to find out if any of them would fit well. Who knows how much money it would cost. The biggest problems to me are touchpad, keyboard, connectors and cooling system. But you know, most of all I don't like the plastic chassis which can easily be broken. The body case of M6400 is metal and this is why I prefer using it.

Dominick_7 and triturbo like this.
  3. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    I get your point about the plastic chassis, but the articulating screen is a great touch.

The reason the 8770 is attractive is not only because it represents a newer generation of processors, but being an HP laptop probably would facilitate compatibility, rather than work against it.

Actually, one would not need to get new motherboards to see if they would fit. One could buy old defective motherboards for that purpose.

4. remdale

Reputations:
    The only thing that's coming up on my mind regarding compatibility is PWM signal for backlight control by keyboard. Everything else is compatible as long as you are using an LVDS motherboard. But if you want to figure out if the PWM signal is working correctly, you would have to spend money for a working motherboard. Otherwise, you might end up using a potentiometer for adjusting backlight which is the case in my case.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  5. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah i see now, the Elitebook 8770? Hmm. 60hz screen? When did it come out?

Wait, what are you planning to do?

oh i see now, oh wow lol. You think itll be able to handle the weight?

6. remdale

Reputations:
    I was thinking about that too, probably not. But we can never know until we give it a go.
    You'll see it later after I finish:vbbiggrin:

Dominick_7 likes this.
  7. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    The 8770W came out in 2013, and the review model in notebookreview.com was equipped with an Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz processor and AMD FirePro M4000

The point about using defective or old motherboards was simply for the purpose of fit. Once you know something can fit you are partway there

Dominick_7 likes this.
  8. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    I wonder what remdale is going to call it. A Dragell or a Dellgon? Or possibly a Remdellagon?

Dominick_7 likes this.
  9. remdale

Reputations:
    No, the first one sounds to funny, the last one looks too much scary, nevermind the second option. I would call it simply a dream machine rather, a perfect Core2 platform.
    I'm planning on getting Acard ANS-9010 RAM disk and set it up for working in RAID 0 mode as the whole device requires 2 SATA ports used for best performance. It's the best option for replacing any SSD.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  10. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Your work on removing the screen was disarming.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020