*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kela777slk

kela777slk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    RE

great job!
    also wanted to understand this laptop for upgrade but technical knowledge is not sufficient.
    is it possible to install 4-core processors q9100 qx9300 extreme?
    also, is it possible to install gtx280b 2.1 mxm?

2. kela777slk

kela777slk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had this laptop for a long time and I sold it.
    now I'm thinking of buying it again :D

3. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If it had a quad core CPU running, it would be worthwhile. Better off doing a motherboard swap I think

Dominick_7 likes this.
  4. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A good point. People over at the ThinkPad forum have been doing dramatic motherboard swaps for years.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  5. Hack4life

Hack4life Newbie

Reputations:
    Have a used Dragon with a little bit of tear and wear. It is working however the screen bezel is gone and the remote control battery cover lost. Looking to sell either to be refurbished or as used parts. How much would it cost?

Dominick_7 likes this.
  6. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ebay your best bet if you are in the uk I would start the sale around £80, if you have the power adaptor with it and have the os (windows 10 installed ) start your bid around £100 you should get about £150 in good running order

7. WoadRaider

WoadRaider Newbie

Reputations:
    Optical Drive Installation Problem
    Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere; I'm having a hard time successfully searching the forum/thread. I bought a secondhand HDX Dragon, it wasn't in great working order so I'm fixing it up. The firs thing I attempted to do was reinstall drivers (didn't find them) but I noticed the computer was drastically slowing down after some light use, which struck me as a symptom of overheating (the fans were also going full speed with light use). So I decided to clean it out and re-paste the CPU to see if that would do the trick. It was a bit of a process but I managed to take the thing apart and put it back together with little issue, except... I can't get the blu ray drive to go back in! LOL SHM. That's supposed to be the easy part....
    I don't see any obstructions in the drive bay (I did reroute a wire or two but nothing is physically blocking the drive from what I can see) and it looks like everything should more or less line up. There is a reference in the manual to a "tab" that I was apparently supposed to push to the side to get the drive out (never did that) but I don't see anything of the sort (wondering if this is the cause of the issue). Is there by chance a part of the blu ray player's port that could be in the wrong position? Could I have pushed a clip too far in? It doesn't look to me like there is a clip, looks like it should just push together. If anyone has any ideas as to what went wrong please let me know, you might save me from having to tear everything apart again, tedious process. Also, the manual says to push the tab with a screwdriver and so at 3am in the morning I was sticking a screwdriver into a hole moving it around hoping I might find the tab but I'm pretty sure I might have scratched up the motherboard... I feel like that part of the manual needed some more caution and diagraming.
    I tried forcing (moderate force) the player in but it just gets stuck 98% of the way in.

While I'm here... if anyone can give me the drivers for this computer I'd appreciate it. My understanding (from the previous owner) is that some functionality is gone, maybe after he put windows 7 on it? He thought he had deleted some of the drivers (can't remember why).

I am also going to have to find a program I can use to play blu rays, my understanding is that the computer is supposed to come with one haven't fully looked into that yet.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  8. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dominick_7 and triturbo like this.
  9. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

if your optical drive is closed' it can be the metal tab on the end that your lock screw locks into that caches some times' if you unscrew it from the optical drive a try it to see if it fits ok without it attacted I had that problem in the past.

10. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Been using a Eurocom Sky Z7, which is a total beast of a notebook, but i miss the large screen on the HDX.. anyone know if one can shove this Clevo motherboard capable of 4k 144hz in the chassis of the HDX, get a 4k 144hz 20 inch screen in it?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020