*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad they fixed it, do you know how they got it working?

Agree the x9000 with throttlestop was great when i used to use the HDX before it got wrecked in shipping.

Goo luck finding one. To use or mod?

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Thanks. I’m hoping someone around here has a spare one.

Both.

3. seememom

seememom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, they don't know how it started working again. But it has been fine since.

4. cutthroat_jake

cutthroat_jake Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, good.
    Got the wife one too and she seems happy with it as well.

I've got one. I'd have to dig it out and see if it's still OK. As I remember, the video cable had an iffy connection, but if you're confident in replacing that then I think everything else was working.
    Where are you located?

5. triturbo

Reputations:
    Which cable? I'm in Bulgaria.

6. cutthroat_jake

Reputations:
    The LCD/LVDS/Flex Cable 6017B011200

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  7. triturbo

Reputations:
    Thanks, but got one off eBay, might need some spares.

8. cutthroat_jake

Reputations:
    May I ask, how much did you pay?

9. cutthroat_jake

Reputations:
    UPDATE: All parts and the X9000 Dragon have gone to pastures new. Only the almost perfect T9300 Dragon is left, if anyone wants to make me an offer. Otherwise, it'll be going on eBay when they next have a cheap weekend.

OK Chaps,

I found some time yesterday to go through exactly what I have and here's the list:

One fully operational HP HDX9250EA, with Intel T9300, 6GB RAM, NVIDIA 8800M GTS and WUXGA 1920x1200. The battery is charging and holding charge.
    The screen has one dead pixel, but otherwise it is in amazing condition, "as new" really, including an almost perfect bezel with one tiny, almost invisible, crack above the webcam)!
    It has a 160GB Toshiba HDD with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, in bay #1 and a 250GB Toshiba in bay #2.
    I have had this running for over 24 hours and it's showing no issues. I also updated Windows 7 ultimate with the latest updates. All of the drivers are installed.

I also have another HP HDX9250EA, with Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA 8800M GTS and WUXGA 1920x1200. The battery is charging and holding charge.
    The screen has one dead pixel and the bezel is broken in two places (top left corner and top middle)
    The machine boots up fine and all appears to be working. However, the screen is not displaying full 32-bit colour and some of the colours are "grainy" (I suspect the LCD/LVDS/Flex Cable). I can supply pictures, if required.
    The F5 key mount is broken, but the key is present.The silver on the touchpad and the left touchpad button are well worn, but both function as they should.
    This was my main machine for a long time and as such has been taken apart and rebuilt numerous occasions. The resason I suspect the LCD/LVDS/Flex Cable is because I know that I trapped it one time and a screw damaged one of the cables in the bundle and the issue started around then. I suspect that this would be an easy fix and you'd have a fab spec Dragon again.

As for the spares, here's what I have, in addition to the two Dragons:

2 x nVidia 8800M GTS GPUs
    2 x T9300 CPUs
    3 x LG Philips 1680 x 1050 20.1" LP201WE1 WSXGA+ Screens
    1 x AU Optronics 1680 x 1050 B201SW01 WSXGA+ Screen
    2 x Bezels (each with one small break in them)
    2 x CPU Heatsink and Fan assemblies
    1 x GPU fan
    2 x GPU Heatsinks
    1 x Intel WiFi 5300 Mini PCI-E WiFi Card
    1 x Intel Wireless 4965AGN Mini PCI-E WiFi Card
    3 x Sub Speaker Assemblies
    2 x Full sets of screws (maybe more?)
    2 x Remote Controls
    2 x USB 3.0 Express cards
    1 x Top panel (back) Black
    2 x Keyboards - One perfect and the other with the Up Arrow key missing
    2 x Top Panels (front) Silver (w/ touchpad)
    1 x Right Speaker Assembly
    1 x Left Speaker Assembly
    1 x External TV tuner aerial
    1 x LCD Inverter
    2 x USB PCBs
    1 x Bluetooth PCB
    1 x Full set of bottom covers
    1 x Transcend 1GB RAM
    1 x Samsung 2GB RAM
    1 x AVer Media TV Tuner
    6 x HDD Caddies
    2 x LCD Screen Rails

As I've mentioned to a few of you in PM, ideally, I'd like the spares to go as a "job-lot". I don't really want to sell any of the bits individually, but I could be persuaded.
    Since the two Dragons are A1 and the other very fixable, I think they should be separated from the spare parts job-lot.

If anyone wants to make me an offer, then please PM me, otherwise it'll all be going on eBay.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  10. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It took me longer than I expected, but finally, here's a complete step by step guide for FX3700M mod along with some additional information regadring the Dragon's BIOS.

1. EDID mod
    This guide is specific for Chi Mei N201J4-L01 screens only. If you have a different LVDS panel, you will have find the resistor for unblocking EDID flash write access on your own.

EDID edit (This step can be skipped. I will attach the modded file)
    EDID version
    FX3700M reads out information from an LVDS panel to configure a proper output. The FX3700M requires v1.4 EDID structure whereas 8800M relies on v1.3. Their vital difference for the mod is byte 0x14 in EDID. EDID v1.3 specification doesn't have any detailed information (neither color bit depth, nor video interface description) for digital output which this byte is responsible for. So according to EDID v1.3 specification, you are using a digital LCD screen which is pointed out by the value of this byte which is 0x80 in the Dragon's case. Other possible values describe analog signal which is out of this topic.
    EDID v1.3 describes 0x14 byte in this way.
    [​IMG]
    The first row from the table is what we need to look at. The others are about analog signal which has nothing to do with digital interface.
    The original Dragon's EDID has 0x14 byte with 0x80 value which in binary is 1000 0000. Bit 7 (leftmost digit) is 1, the other bits are 0. The table describes designations for the other 6 bits in case if bit 7 = 0 (analog signal). Otherwise, if bit 7=1 (Digital signal), it doesn't care of any other values for bits 0-6. It's a good thing in our case because it seems like we can safely flash that byte with A0 and still be able to use the screen with 8800M, so we could get closer to completing the mod and save some time by avoiding additional flashing.

In EDID 1.4 specification this table looks different and describes digital signal in detail.
    [​IMG]
    It means that the digital signal (when bit 7=1) has to be described in more detail. Now if you look at 0x80 in binary (which is 1000 0000) again using the second part of the table, you will see the following explanation.
    Bits 3 to 1:
    0 0 0 0 - Digital interface is not defined.
    Bits 6 to 4:
    0 0 0 - Color bit depth is undefined
    Bit 7
    1 - Digital Video Signal Interface

Everything is not defined, so this is why FX3700M was outputting 6 bits by default. It requires a detailed description of digital signal.

v1.4 EDID specification was updated with specific options for digital video output and thus new possible values had been added for that byte. FX3700M relies on the 0x14h byte to set up the number of bits for LVDS output in this case.
    In order to set it up for 8-bit output, you have change 0x80 to 0x0A. We also need to change the byte responsible for EDID version. Those are 2 bytes 0x12 and 0x13 whose original values are 0x01 and 0x03 which indicate v1.3. So we just need to change 0x03 to 0x04.
    As I'm going to use vBIOS from Dell, it requires having a specific value at 0x79. It's located in a block which is defined as Display Descriptor (instead of Timing Descriptor) according to EDID specs. The Display Descriptor block is a proprietary thing that can be used by manufacturers for their own purpose and information stored there might not comply with EDID standards. This is how an LCD screen can be locked down to a video card which appears to be the case with my Dell FX3700M vBIOS. If the appropriate value (0x06) has not been found at 0x79, you will see a distorted picture on the screen. So we have to put 0x06 at 0x79 to make Dell's vBIOS accept the Dragon's screen.

Checksum

The checksum byte is located at 0x7F. There's a checksum calculator built into HxD editor. After finishing the edit, just highlight the range from 0x00 to 0x7E and open checksum calculator from Analysis menu. Choose "Checksum-8" in the list and hit OK. The value will show up in the bottom. Open a hex calculator, click on minus, input the generated checksum value and hit "=". Let's assume the generated checksum is 0x5E. So the result should be 0xA2 as the 1-byte sum of all bytes of the EDID structure must be 0x00. So 0xA2 must be put in the last byte.

t456 shared an idea to overclock the LCD panel by increasing its refresh rate. It took me some time to find out the highest safe frequency which is 108 Hz. I didn't want to dive into another world, so I asked him to make the EDID file for me. There are just 2 frequencies there 60 Hz and 108 Hz. If you start getting artifacts on the screen, please let us know. We will decrease the refresh rate a little.

Here's the modded EDID file
    Chi Mei N201J4-L01 EDID v1.4 108 Hz

EDID flash
    Chi Mei N201J4-L01 (1920x1200) panel has a flash memory chip AT24C02B (U7 chip on the LCD board) which stores the EDID structure. It's write-protected because WP pin is hardwired to VCC which locks the chip memory from changes. The protection can be removed if you remove R35 resistor and connect GND2 and EE_WP pads with each other, so that the WP pin gets grounded according to AT24C02B datasheet.
    [​IMG]
    LCD panels other than N201J4-L01 need to be studied regarding which resistor has to be removed to allow flashing EDID.

There are 2 ways of flashing the modded EDID. You can either use a flash programmer (need to have an LVDS cable leading to your programmer or remove the chip and connect it to a TSSOP adapter for convenient programming) or do it under Linux.
    There's a nice guide on how to make a Linux USB stick with all the needed EDID tools.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...bricking-systems.781467/page-23#post-10170202
    After writing the Linux image with USB Image Tool, boot up from it. Choose "Try Lubuntu without installing". You will see EDID related folders on the desktop. Connect another USB stick with the EDID file (let's assume it's called CMO.bin) and copy it to the "write-edid" folder.
    Open terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo bash
    cd EDID/write-edid
    bash ./write-edid.sh 2 CMO.bin

After flashing, you will see a dump of the flashed EDID in the terminal window. It should look like this
    Code:
    00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 0D AF 00 20 28 23 00 00
    20 1E 01 04 A0 2C 1C 78 0A 3B 95 A9 55 35 AD 24
    19 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
    01 01 01 01 01 01 28 3C 80 A0 70 B0 23 40 30 20
    36 00 B2 0F 11 00 00 18 8B 6A 80 50 70 B0 3F 40
    08 20 18 00 B2 0F 11 00 00 18 00 00 00 FE 00 4E
    32 30 31 4A 34 2D 4C 30 31 0A 20 20 00 00 00 FE
    00 43 4D 4F 0A 20 20 20 20 06 20 20 20 20 00 1E
    Flashing done.

2. BIOS mod
    I will say a little more than the things related to the mod.
    BIOS file consists of compressed and uncompressed parts. Each compressed part is a module that is unpacked into RAM. starts at offset 0x20000 uses a custom compression which is described in the manual for ADDCC V3. The compression is applied just to BIOS modules that are unpacked into DOS Legacy Address Range according to PM965 chipset datasheet. These are addresses in RAM. There are 2 ways of BIOS execution: Shadow BIOS (clone the BIOS chip somewhere into RAM and start BIOS execution from there) or by unpacking BIOS directly from the BIOS chip. I assume latter is the case with the Dragon.
    You can use my modded version of HPUnpack for decompressing and replacing BIOS modules with just 2 commands

Unpack:
    Code:
    hpunpack [BIOS file]
    For instance:
    Code:
    hpunpack bios.bin
    Replace a module:
    Code:
    HPUnpack [BIOS file] replace [RAM address] [module name] [edited module]
    For instance:
    Code:
    hpunpack bios.bin replace 20100 POST post_new.bin
    After unpacking the BIOS file, you will see names that contain physical addresses where modules are unpacked to. They correspond with the following addresses:
    [​IMG]
    You can find each module by searching for 01 00 14. The compressed body of each module starts after 16-byte header and the 4-byte name of the module. So you have to skip 20 bytes to get to the compressed body.

Header example (the first module called POST in this case)
    01 00 14 01 70 00 00 00 60 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
    01 00 - module identifier?
    14 - header length
    01 - unknown (can be either 00 or 01)
    70 00 00 00 - size after decompression 0x00000070
    60 00 00 00 - compressed size 0x00000060. The compressed body of a module starts after its name which takes 4 bytes after the header
    00 00 02 00 - destination address (0x00020000) in RAM after decompression

You can find each module by searching for 01 00 14. The compressed body of each module starts from the 21-st byte as the header and module's name take 20 bytes together.

Here's a list of modules coming as they are in the BIOS file (with their addresses in RAM). Each name takes 4 bytes:
    POST (0x20000) - (No idea)
    POST (0x20100) - POST initialization
    SETU (0x31000) - (No idea)
    KBC (0x40000) - Keyboard controller
    MESS (0x60000) - Text string messages
    OSBI (0x9D000) - Startup Intel logo
    NVID (0x9F000) - Startup Nvidia logo
    VIDE (0xC0000) - Video BIOS
    ROME (0xE0000) - Expansion ROMs
    F000 (0xF0000) - Start of BIOS execution
    MEBX (0x40000) - Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension
    DSDT (0x65000) - Differentiated System Description Table for ACPI
    SMM2 (0xA0000) - SMM (System Management Mode) setup to perform low-level system management operations while an OS is running using SMI (System Management Interrupts).
    MBA (0xD0000) - Boot Agent PXE Base Code. Responsible for network boot
    UNDI (0xD1000) - Universal Network Driver Interface. An application programming interface (API) for network interface cards (NIC) used by the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) protocol. Used for network boot.
    P16X (0x10000) - 16-bit PXE (Preboot Execution Environment), PXE Specification v2.1 or earlier. It is a network boot program that is run in DOS mode.
    TPM (0x10000) - Trusted Platform Module. A dedicated microcontroller designed to secure hardware through integrated cryptographic keys. Used along with the fingerprint scanner
    SEC3 (0x200000) - Responsible for chosing a bootable device
    G8E_ (0xC0000) - Video BIOS (useless module, duplicated VIDE module, can be removed)
    HPLO (0x90000) - Startup HP Logo (this is the last module)

OSBI, NVID and HPLO are 4-bit bit RLE (Run-length encoding) compressed BMP format images which can be opened in a standard image viewer.

The next part after the HPLO module with the padding, starts at 0xC5BE0 and contains CPU microcodes (9 parts in total, the size of each is 0x1000h). The part ends at 0xCEBDFh.
    The following is CompuTrace starting at 0xCEBE0h and ending at 0xD5BDFh. I deleted this thing (replaced it with FF) from my BIOS mod. It is responsible for tracking down your laptop secretely.

SLIC content starts at 0xE6200 and RSA1 for SLIC starts at 0xE6300 which serves as a second part for the SLIC ACPI table

Execution of BIOS starts from 0xF0000 of the BIOS chip and then modules get unpacked into RAM. The starting bytes are 4D 5A (MZ in ASCII) which means the start of an EXE file. Skip the header information until the start of the program which starts with 55 8B EC at 0xF0220. Any part starting with 55 8B EC can be disassembled in debug.exe utility in x86 systems. Everything that is stored in the system memory below 0xA0000 is a DOS program.

HP BIOS Configuration Utility
    As I've mentioned earlier, there's a utility called "HP BIOS Configuration Utility". It's a tool for making changes in BIOS hidden settings via a command line.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/h2v7bf7qjdz2yk4/HP_BIOS_Configuration_Utility_(BCU).zip

Examples of using HP BIOS Configuration Utility:
    Write current BIOS configuration into config.txt:
    Code:
    BiosConfigUtility64.exe /getconfig:config.txt
    Set overwrite current BIOS configuration from config.txt:
    Code:
    BiosConfigUtility64.exe /setconfig:config.txt
    After writing the current configuration into a file, you can change options by using asterisk before each option. To simplify the process of making changes, you can put just those settings that need to be changed. The others can be removed.
    Some settings cannot be set because they are not supported by the Dragon. Interestengly, the web camera switching doesn't seem to work either.
    You will find "IDE mode enable.txt" in the archive, it's a simple example which will let you install older operating systems like Windows XP if the installer doesn't have AHCI driver integrated.

MXM stuff
    Even though the Dragon is using an MXM connector, the software implementation has no mention of MXM (neither MXM structure nor MXM system callbacks have been found) meaning that the video card is considered to be a normal PCIe card. Which is a nice thing as the video card has not been locked down by software.
    But this is a problem at the same time. Because native MXM FX3700M video BIOS requires MXM callbacks and it results in a 30 second countdown timer showing up during each boot. Moreover, HP version outputs 4-bit signal and it cannot be fixed unless you are an assembly language genius. Also, brightness adjustment doesn't work.
    The best vBIOS is from Dell M6400's FX3700M as it is considered to be a non-MXM card there too. Brightness adjustment works fine too, but we have to flash a special version of EDID which has a lockdown to a specific LCD screen. The other vBIOSes require 1.4v EDID as well.

How to understand if MXM implementation has been used in your laptop. Search for B8 80 5F B3 01 (02 or 03 instead of 01) across the BIOS file(s) and check if there's

MXM_ string has been found in ACPI tables (either in DSDT or SSDT).
    The hex code mentioned above is a callback for the MXM structure. It calls a return of MXM structure.
    MOV AX, 0x5F80 (hex B8 80 5F)
    MOV BL,01 (hex B3 01)
    INT 15 (hex CD 15)
    According to the MXM specification, the response to this code has to be:
    AX = 005Fh to indicate that the system bios supports this function
    ES : DI = Pointer to the MXM structure in real mode memory
    The assembly code for AX = 005Fh is MOV AX, 0x5F00 which in hex is B8 5F 00. And then should come "ES : DI = Pointer to the MXM structure in real mode memory". If there's no instance of the initial code B8 80 5F anywhere in the BIOS at all, it means that the MXM structure is not called anywhere. Which means that it wasn't implemented in the laptop.

The required elements for the MXM support implementation are
    1) MXM Structure (appears to be not present in HDX9000)
    2) Int 15h system methods
    2.a. Function 0 (Return Specification Support Level) & Function 1 (Return a Pointer to the MXM Structure) are required methods (not present in the Dragon)
    3) ACPI MXMI and MXMS system methods (not present in Dragon's ACPI tables)

Dragon's 8800M GTS is considered to be an onboard device rather than a normal removable MXM card. Nevermind that it doesn't have a BIOS chip on it which sheds some light on this.
    It means that inserting a video card that needs MXM structure is not going to work well in this case. It's all up to vBIOS.

BIOS flash
    Here are the BIOS files with Dell vBIOS injected:
    Version 1:
    Updated CPU microcodes, G8E_, MEBX module and CompuTrace code deleted, Dual-IDA support, wifi whitelist removed, adjusted DSDT table for possible quad core CPU mod.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/8tkvj83x12jw66g/ROM.CAB/file
    G8E_ module is never used
    MEBX (Intel ME stuff) and CompuTrace, can live without these two fine.
    Version 2:
    Updated CPU microcodes, Dual-IDA support, wifi whitelist removed, adjusted DSDT table for possible quad core CPU mod.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/7xcu1n77i2dnpu8/ROM.CAB/file

For flashing BIOS from OS, you have to make a compressed .cab file which will be used by HPQFlash.exe. We need to use the cracked version of this tool to avoid checking checksum(s) of the modded BIOS.
    After preparing the BIOS file, you have to make up a text file where you have to put a list of files that have to be compressed into the cab file.
    Let's call it "cab.txt". The content of cab.txt should be the following:
    Code:
    Rom.bin
    ver.sig
    ver.txt
    The content of ver.txt wasn't changed after getting it from HP website.
    Code:
    _ROM_ 68DVD v0F.40 08/29/2008
    0x00010000 0x00010000
    0x000F0000 0x00010000
    After saving changes, move cab.txt to C:\ as well as ver.sig and ver.txt from ROM.cab (can be opened with WinZip etc) and your modded BIOS to C:\ and while holding SHIFT button down, right click on free space and open command line. Input this command:
    Code:
    makecab /d CabinetName1=ROM.CAB /D DiskDirectoryTemplate=C:\ /f C:\cab.txt
    Now you've got the ROM.CAB for flashing with HPQFlash.exe
    HPQflash http://www.mediafire.com/file/l93kcmzal4fhmyq/HPQFlash.exe/file

How to flash:
    Just put ROM.cab and HPQflash.exe in the same folder and run HPQflash.exe.

You can also flash the BIOS file directly with a flash programmer.
    The same BIOSes as posted above
    Version 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vwbw3k3smqmpvxg/Dell_FX3700_bios_%28No_G8E_%2C_no_MEBX%2C_no_Computrace%2C_Quad_DSDT%29.rom/file
    Version 2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3lt61egyejo9p91/Dell_FX3700_bios_%28updated_CPU_microcodes%2C_quad_DSDT%29.rom/file

Additionally, I can post BIOS files which contain HP and Lenovo vBIOS to satisfy your curiosity
    Lenovo:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9yqiyr22r8z5z74/ROM.CAB/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/fdlzfoqqsugqjb4/Lenovo_FX3700M_BIOS.bin/file
    HP:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/lioembq687rj98s/ROM.CAB/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/4fymafs4h8oj50u/HP_FX3700_bios.rom/file

3. Electrical and physical adaptation

8800M has LVDS pinout different to MXM specification. "Even" and "Odd" signals need to be interchanged with each other. If you are not going to revert back to 8800M, you can just swap the wires of the LVDS cable.
    [​IMG]

The pins that need to be swapped with each other are marked with the same color. 20 pins need to be swapped in total.
    2 - 32
    3 - 20
    4 - 34
    5 - 22
    8 - 38
    9 - 26
    10 - 40
    11 - 28
    14 - 44
    16 - 46

MXM specification requires a 2.5V power rail for MXM cards. Even though FX3700M requires it, I couldn't notice any power consumption from at 2.5V. It seems like the video card works same with and without 2.5V power, its performance doesn't change. Make sure you have attached it with a small wire to the MXM connector. It can be any small 2.5v step-down voltage regulator.
    [​IMG]

When installing the heatsink, it needs to be cut at the corner because of the inductor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TV-out port will stop working as it's not supported on any of the versions of FX3700M.

Some information on HDMI and DisplayPort
    There are 3 versions of FX3700M which I'm aware of: HP, Lenovo/Clevo and Dell. I got one from HP.
    Their main difference in electronics is:
    a) Dell has 2 DisplayPorts, but no TMDS signals for HDMI and DVI.
    b) Lenovo has a DisplayPort and 2 TMDS ports used as 1 for dual link DVI output. So TMDS ports A and B work together which means that vBIOS of this card cannot be used for HDMI output in the Dragon. It is theoretically possible to wire out a DisplayPort from this specific FX3700M, but we might need to use a DisplayPort repeater to be able to use a DisplayPort cable. But some strings will have to be put into DSDT table to add display switching support for this port.
    c) HP doesn't have DisplayPort connection, but has 2 TMDS ports which are used for HDMI (Port B) and DVI/DisplayPort (A and B used as a single port) output in HP 8730W. Whereas the HDMI port in 8800M is provided from the Port A.
    I have tried to wire the Port B out to the HDMI port of the Dragon, but got no success. HDMI monitor was not recognized at all which stays a mystery as of now.
    Nevertheless, the Dell's vBIOS is the best one to operate in the Dragon because we can still adjust brightness and don't have to wait for 30 seconds during boot.
    When I was doing the mod, my FX3700M got recognized as GTX260M all of a sudden with its device ID having changed to 0618 from 061E. I assume the reason was that I perhaps damaged some resistors responsible for device ID configuration.

4. Drivers
    There's another problem. The Dragon picks up SUBSYS ID from its BIOS, so whatever you put in the video BIOS, the SUBSYS ID will always stay 30D4103C (30D4 is HDX Dragon's ID, 103C stands for HP)
    For this reason, I've taken the video driver from HP put some strings specific to the Dragon's platform

Code:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618&SUBSYS_30D4103C
    Code:
    NVIDIA_DEV.0618.02 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M"
    for GTX260M (I renamed GTX260M to FX3700M with the second string) and
    Code:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_061E&SUBSYS_30D4103C
    for FX3700M in NVBL.inf file.
    HP driver
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5b3k4htm3gwgpep/HP_FX3700M_driver.zip/file
    Also, here are the links to Lenovo and Dell graphics drivers for diversity
    Lenovo driver
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/v8hf5hbak8d1c96/Lenovo_FX3700M_driver.zip/file
    Dell driver
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/br98wadzlrm9h18/Dell_FX3700M_driver.zip/file

I decided to use the video driver from HP because it lets us do EDID overrides and it works better with switching between the LVDS screen and a VGA monitor. If you want to make screen switching work somehow, you have to set up a hotkey combination for it in nView Desktop Manger settings and use it for display switching instead of FN+F4. It is disable by default, so right click on desktop->nView properties->click Enable and then you will be able to go to "Hotkeys" where you can set up a desktop switching hotkey. After connecting a VGA screen, you have to press FN+F4 to switch to 1 monitor mode and then use the hotkey combination from nView Desktop Manager. But after switching back to the LVDS screen, you may have to set up its original resoltion back because the video driver can't seem to do the stuff properly.
    The picture on the VGA monitor may look too bright. But you can try adjusting gamma, contrast and brightness in the section called "Adjust desktop color settings" in nVidia control panel.

5. Benchmarks
    The benchmarks are not satisfing because FX3700M is forced to work at PCIe 1.1 speeds because PM965 doesn't support PCIe 2.0. So it seems like the PCIe bus is the bottleneck here, thus FX3700M can't work faster than 8800M. But it seems like 8800M performs a little better than FX3700M.

8800M GTS
    [​IMG]

FX3700M

[​IMG]

This mod will probably help you solve the problem with Win10 support and provide DirectX 11 support, but there are lots of side effects.
    I might put more information here in the future by editing this post. I would appreciate if this post could be posted on the first page of this thread.