*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's a problem with display switching though.
    HDMI output doesn't work at all because there's no HDMI port in Dell M6400 and HDMI was not wired on the Dell's FX3700 card.
    When switching to the VGA monitor, the image on the LVDS panel looks like this
    [​IMG]

This is probably because the VGA screen is 1920x1080 and the video driver adjusts the LVDS panel to this resolution too. Once switched to the VGA monitor, you cannot switch it back off. I twisted switching settings in the Nvidia control panel, but got no success so far. I assume if you connect a 1200p screen, the picture would not be distorted. But the switching problem will still be there. Apart from that, the picture on the VGA screen looks oversaturated with colors. I've tried adjusting it, but it wasn't much successful. It was like that even before installing the video driver.
    Gonna try Lenovo vBIOS and see how it goes with display switching and HDMI. But the oversaturated picture issue will still be there.

The reason why vBIOS from Dell identifies FX3700M as GTX 260M is probably the resistors that are used for device ID switching. I guess they are used in the Dell vBIOS whereas they are not used in Lenovo and HP versions. Not sure yet, it's just an assumption because I don't know if this mechanism is used and if they are there at all.
    Check this out https://www.eevblog.com/forum/gener...rofessional-counterparts/msg207550/#msg207550

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What about using Display Port rather than HDMI? The Lenovo W700 with the 3700M supported Display Port. I guess you'll find out if you try the Lenovo VBIOS.

As far as I know, unless the newest iteration of HDMI has changed things, Display Port has the advantage of higher transmission speed.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  3. remdale

Reputations:
    Well, those chips have been reported as supported chips in the flashing software. I guess it's working fine. I'm pretty sure that I can erase the chip, restore the dump and it will be working fine.
    If you want me to try this out, I can go for it. By the way, just received TSSOP8-DIP converter board. No wires would be involved next time:vbbiggrin:
    Actually, it's up to the video driver as well. Quadro drivers let you do EDID overrides which then can be used by Nvidia control panel and CRU. I've tried Lenovo and Dell drivers, but it seems like just HP driver can do EDID overrides. Haven't tried searching for Clevo driver though.
    OMG! No, this is too much for me. Let me leave this for you:D
    Just made a copy of the spreadsheet though.
    Worked out fine. I have figured out the top limit that doesn't cause artifacts. It's 105 Hz. Can you make another mod please?

What else I've discovered so far is that the HP vBIOS is working too, but its behavior is different. It does POST, but there's nothing on the screen during the 30 second MXM error message. It keeps beeping 30 times (1 beep each second). Then a dim POST screen shows up and then it goes to OS boot. And here's what the picture looks like
    [​IMG]

When I installed HP driver, it didn't change this.

Here's the same picture from Nvidia control panel after installing the driver.
    [​IMG]

When I changed picture quality to 16 bits, it got fixed at some point. The 16 bit quality doesn't look much attractive.
    [​IMG]

What was on the first picture? 4 bits? The picture was bright though. Nevermind the patterns in the middle. It's because of my camera. Just have a look at the other elements
    Probably this is because HP vBIOS was made for Dreamcolor boards. Something is probably different in the way of their communication or there's a some sort of protection like in the case with Dell. Luckily, I have a dreamcolor screen (LP171WU5-TLB1) from 8730w and can try to study and use its EDID.

When I installed HP driver over Dell vBIOS, display switching got fixed at some point. When I connected VGA monitor, the desktop got extended in the way that the VGA monitor became the main desktop screen and the Dragon's screen became an extension for the VGA desktop. There was just wallpaper. Then if you press FN+F4, the LVDS panel gets disconnected and disappeares from Nvidia control panel at all. If you want it back, you have to either disconnect the VGA monitor or press the hotkey for switching displays. It has to be predefined in the nView settings. When using hotkeys, it just switches between 2 displays by just replacing them with each other. When you go back to the Dragon's panel, screen resolution and refresh rate need to be set up again.

HDMI is still not working. It doesn't matter which vBIOS or driver you are using. I guess it needs to be fixed in ACPI tables.
    I'm not sure if display port can be added. Well, it can, in theory. But again, ACPI tables need to be studied well.

And here's the final thing. VGA screen is on the left. The picture looks ugly on it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. remdale

Reputations:
    Another question is why my video card is recognized as GTX 260M with any vBIOS. I assume some resistor might lost contact with the board during my experiments or whatever else it could be. I don't know

Dominick_7 likes this.
  5. remdale

Reputations:
    For those who want to know how FX3700M is configured. This is for Dell. Memory type and device ID among the other things are configured by using resistors.

[​IMG]

Dominick_7 likes this.
  6. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure:
    CMO2000 - N201J4-L01 (edid v1.4, 8-bit, CMO, 60, 105 and 105 Hz).bin

The 105's use Reduced Blanking v1 and v2, respectively. If v2 also works then it might prove more stable or, alternatively, you could slightly bump the frequency to 108 or 109 Hz.

More importantly; did you find the higher refresh rate useful?

For movies I'd take a look at the Smooth Video Project. Used to be free (and take a bit of tinkering to set up), but can at least use the 30-day trial to check its merit and whether the system can handle the extra workload.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  7. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do i know, but unless im mistaken, if i recall i believe ive seen this when either i did a restore or windows updates with something plugged in, when the partitions get screwed up or when the bootloader gets messed up. Did you have anything plugged in when doing the format/system restore? Do you use one or two hard drives?

8. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had attempted putting a new hard drive in and loading Ubuntu, it loads just fine, and was working until shut it down. I started it yesterday morning and again it couldn't find the hard drive. I pulled it apart to change the cmos battery in hopes that that was the problem, but it's gotten much more serious. Now I turn it on and get no screen. I've had it apart dozens of times before with no issues so I'm guessing the 14 y.o. mother board has finally given up the ghost. I'm going to attempt hooking it up to an external monitor to verify but I'm not hopeful. Now I did get called away in the middle of the process and the cmos battery was out for about 12 hours. I don't know if that may have wiped out the bios entirely.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  9. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    12 hours? Maybe rikki, remdale or kmut can chime in. Hope it's not the motherboard. If its the cmos you can find a replacement as something less of a headache to replace ya?

10. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just a thought as you say its 14 years old, things have a habit of going wrong when you fix something, have you tried the old torch trick to make sure your inverter has not failed, I had this when changing a graphic card which needed baking, the screen was black so shut the lights off "room dark" and showed a torch to the screen which I could see after I herd the system power up, i don't think it would be your bios as it should go back to factory settings after the battery is out for more than a few minutes ,do you see after you power up any flashing lights on your keyboard ???

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020