*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

is your power supply the original one 180 wats 19volt 91/2 amps ??? when you plug it in and connected to the mains does the blue light come on at the rear of your laptop ??? is there any other lights flashing on the laptop ???

2. Arewehere?

Arewehere? Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for the reply. yes, it's the original power supply. I get no lights at all on the laptop (tried various options such as removing HDD, RAM, HDDVD drive, battery etc). Supposedly the repair shop tested with another power supply and said that's not the issue however I am not certain they actually did that. I tore down the laptop earlier and it was pretty clear that they didn't bother opening it up so i'm sure they're BS'ing about the GPU being the issue. There was some dust around the fans but not as much as i expected and overall the heatsinks looked pretty clean considering it's 13 years old.

I should add that this unit really hasn't had very intensive use over the past 5-6 years. It's more an entertainment piece for movies and music at this stage.

3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wonder if anybody in the forum has any good links for batteries for the Dragon, as well as RAM. Currently I have 4 GB.

4. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I assume they have tried another power supply and I'm sure your laptop is shorting somewhere.
    I would recommend you to find a local seller to be able to check everything in. I'm sure you can find RAM locally, but batteries can be grabbed from ebay

5. kimutler

Reputations:

from what your saying I would advise you to find another repair, saying it needs another graphic card without knowing what the real fault is says it all to me,, they don't want to fix it by the sounds of it, getting good engineer now days is hard as laptops over 5 years of age are not worth repairing, " the labour cost kills the value of it". from what you telling me it sounds like you have a motherboard fault one if the biggest problems with this laptop is its big and heavy, if you move it about a lot with the screen open the base has a habit of flexing and the motherboard bends which in time cracks I had a few of them with a fine hairline crack which is hard to see, lets hope that is not your problem as the motherboard will be us,

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Arewehere? likes this.
  6. kimutler

Reputations:
    the only place I can advise is eBay as 8gb ddr2 ram 2x4gb strips is not cheap £70 mark, new 4gb 2x2gb strips are cheap and the chances are it will be new from china , battery's you do get some on eBay new but again silly prices £70-£100 touch would keep clear of used ones ,

7. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I could really use some help here, HDX 9494NR
    I have a new problem that developed two days ago. I'm not sure what's going on, the system was working fine that morning, then I come back from lunch and it was showing me non system disc hit any button. When I try restarting it the hard drive is not showing up as an option in the boot sequence. I've checked and the disc still reads when connected to another computer, I installed a different hard drive and attempted to do a system factory restore. The computer went through the process as though it had put all the info on the disc. but then when it went through the reboot cycle, there was again, no hard drive showing and it jumped back to non system disc message. I've checked the bios and the hard drive is enabled. I'm not sure what I need to do next. I've also gone through the system startup check and it checked and found no error in the memory or the hard drive, so I'm really at a loss, why can it find the hard drive to do the check but not to start and run the computer?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, but these are only the first 1/8th of the size of the chips. That would correspond to the first of the eight sections, so it looks like the programmer doesn't quite know how to talk to these particular chips.

Perhaps there's a few extra options in the programmer's software you might try. It's not that important, but as it is these dumps can only fix a data-corrupted screen if it concerns the first data section. Really, this is a very rare occurrence anyway. The only non-edid firmware bricks I know of involved running user-provided update tools by Asus and Dell.
    Ok, but 0x79 ought to contain part of the 'ASCII data string', as per the '0x20' type set for that block. Hence it shouldn't matter whatever data is entered there ... unless the HP is checking for 'CMO' in one of the blocks (mine had the full panel name only). I've followed your mod though; 'CMO' and the '06' in '0x79':
    CMO2000 - N201J4-L01 (edid v1.4, 8-bit, CMO, 60, 75 and 90 Hz).bin
    Another spreadsheet, of course :vbbiggrin: :
    pixel clock GTF and CVT

Actually, the real calculators were made by one Andy Morrish. Just made it into plain excel, split off the GTF options and added a front tab. There's basically three methods; GTF (CRTs, mainly), CVT with reduced blanking 1 and CVT rb 2. The stock 60 Hz timing in the N201J4-L01 was made with CVT 1, which makes sense considering its manufacture date.
    There's no real 'hard' limit and there is a considerable risk when taking larger jumps. The 90 Hz ought to be fine though. We could also try CVT 2 (which can make do with a lower pixel clock) and 120 Hz after making sure 100 and 110 Hz are safe.

But this system uses fairly old cards, so that could mean CRU may also work. If so then you could attempt smaller increments via software-only, find the maximum stable refresh rate, drop 5 or 10 Hz under that and use that value for the edid.
    Sound method, but preferably you'd want to reconnect that dummy resistor once you have a good (and oc'ed) edid flashed. The write-protect pin will otherwise be 'floating' (like Schrödinger's cat). Wouldn't be an issue with proper software, but not having effective write-protect was what bricked numerous displays with the Windows 10/Precision X debacle.

Maybe a lighter+paperclip and de-/resolder the resistor? Got loads of circuit boards lying around ... gonna have to try that; should be fun and could mean a ghetto soldering iron when on the road :vbsmile: .

9. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sure, indeed haha.

A way to link a tech to it so they can do the mod for non technicians would be fantastic!.Thank you for all your efforts.

This is brilliant. If only we had you in the beginning instead of all the efforts and energy put in to prevent people from undertaking it by telling everyone why it can't and shouldn't be done.

10. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need 8gb for it to run well, should be some of eBay.