*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 230W power supply seems to have solved the weird sound problem.
    It needs to be investigated. I will just try to disconnect the 7th and 8th bit wires and see if it changes anything.
    Another thing is that the MXM error message is saying about a balanced performance mode which explains why the video card was working at 98% load during the game.Whereas CPU load was at just around 50% which is not how it used to be with 8800M.

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a feeling the weird noise was due to insufficient power from the power supply. What power supply were you using before?

3. remdale

Reputations:
    180W. I might be fake, but I'm not 100% sure

4. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Is it an aftermarket 180 watt power supply?

Just out of curiosity, can you see if the card is outputting 6 or 8 bits?

5. remdale

Reputations:
    Here it is
    https://i.imgur.com/VHsJET0.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/IsBlspC.jpg
    There are so many variations of it, so I can't understand which one of the is genuine. How do you think?
    You were right. It's outputting 6 bits. I've just disconnected the wires for the other 2 bits and the noise has disappeared. It was just the empty 2 bits.
    So we have to flash vBIOS from 8730W and find the way how to make it POST or try flashing GTX280M vBIOS from another 8 bit laptop.

6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    It's hard to tell from the image whether it's genuine, as counterfeiters are awfully good at duplicating the labels as well.

So it's plausible that the dim screen is because it's missing the 2 beds, right?

All of this is a validation of the fact that even though the ex-forum member may have been utterly irresponsible as a person, he actually did achieve something, The inversion of the LVDS cable was actual, as well as the observation about the bit rate output of the installation.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Genuine adapters can also be noisy and it doesn't necessarily indicate a fault. It's just that the inductors resonate under load and if the oscillations are large enough and they're not properly glued/fixed to the pcb then they might become audible.

Replaced one of them on my own genuine, but nonetheless squeaking adapter in order to silence it. These large components are not hard to solder, but with most adapters it does require you to break open the two glued halves of the casing.
    What panel is it driving?

If it's an 8-bit LVDS then you could try flashing a 6-bit edid to it. Helped someone with a similar issue and it worked as expected; artifacts and banding were gone.

8. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

9. remdale

Reputations:
    I don't know if it's true.
    The most unpleasant part there:D
    8730w? A 8-bit panel. Clevo D900F has a 8-bit panel too according to its schematics. But its GTX280M vBIOS was giving me the same noise on the screen which makes me think of 6-bit output.
    Dell M6400 as well.
    My only hope now is 8730W vBIOS. I hope it relies on the board ID rather than a system callback. Will try to change board ID for the Dragon and see how it works.
    I wouldn't enjoy flashing a 6 bit EDID. The number of colors on the screen would dramatically reduce then.

10. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Remdale

I have the feeling you're very close to a solution, so don't lose hope.

I'm under the impression that the WUXGA panel is an 8 bit.