*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

its w10 update that I think is the problem try this it seems to not happen so much now

you still have a problem this video should give you some help

if still have a problem

2. J1O1H1N1F32

J1O1H1N1F32 Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess I'll take it apart and bake the GPU. Couldn't hurt I suppose. Where could I find a 180 Watt Power Supply?

3. kimutler

Reputations:

if you look on ebay you will see them but new they are a lot of money, i up graded mine to 230watt versions as they are a lot more of them about and a lot cheaper for 2nd hand price, you got to make sure you have the correct plug on them .7.5mm outside 5mm inside 230wat 11.5amp 19.5volt, theses are like a house bricks and dont even get warm but are much cheaper than 2nd hand180watt versions

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...sc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=hp+180watt+power+adaptor

4. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What if you install a newer wifi card?

5. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The flawed 8800M GTS strikes again. It should've been recalled and compensated for like the 8400M and 8600M. They're all cut from the same cloth, but because only a smaller number of 8800Ms were used in PCs, they got away with it with us, and a few Dell and Apple owners. They've turned us into bakers of brownies. And you can't keep reheating brownies.

That's why I pursue the 3700M.

6. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The problem has expanded to my brand new Dell computer, Obviously the Windows 10 programmers are having some real problems and are sending out defective software products.

7. kimutler

Reputations:
    yeap thats about the size of it, i sold to dragons that had the same problem earlier ones i sold had no problem, its one of the updates i think both of my dragons suffer from this bug at this time, one has the Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS the other has ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics HD2600XT.

8. remdale

Reputations:
    It's been a long time since I've posted something very interesting.

I talked to Lost_N_BIOS from win-raid.com. Thanks to him I found out that the HPUnpack works fine. The way it compresses BIOS modules is different from HP's, but the unpacked images are still the same. I probably forgot to fix the offsets when I said that BIOS didn't work after recompressing it without making any change there.
    Yesterday I modded the tool to be able to recompress BIOS without fixing offsets manually which is quite annoying when making lots of mods. So my version of HPUnpack is specific to Dragon's BIOS.

I didn't have enough time, but over the past month I've done some research.

BIOS settings

BIOS settings are not located in the DSDT table. I've tried editing some values, but it didn't affect the actual settings. Moreover, there are strings in the BIOS that I couldn't find in the DSDT, but could be found just in the F10_ module instead. "Button Sound" and "Always Maximum VGA Fan Speed" were found just in the F10_ module. So we have to dig the modules to find connections there.
    Seems like there's a plenty of garbage in DSDT that is not used at all. But strings of BIOS settings there helped me understand the way they are structured in the actual BIOS.
    I've studied ACPI specification to be able to understand how it works and can now understand the structure, but sadly, HP didn't want to give appropriate names to methods, variables and devices. So it's hard to easily recognize specific devices and methods there. Almost all of them were named as C000, C009, C240 etc. which is very inconvenient when it comes to studying the hardware and software level structures.
    C003 stands for PCI0 bus, C09B most likely is the PCIe bus, C150 is the videocard.
    What is interesting is that they did it well in 8730w's DSDT. So I had to use it for comparing and locating the videocard in the Dragon's table.

Quad core mod
    Another thing is that I've modified the DSDT table for quads by adding 2 cores there. But the tables responsible for CPU power management need to be studied too for adjusting the power management for the other 2 cores. It will be done later after I successfully insert the modded APIC (MADT) table. The problem is that it's located in the POST module parts of which seem to have a fixed size which cannot be automatically adjusted like in the case with modules. What I could do is change the size of any of the tables or completely remove one of them to be able to insert the modded APIC table which is larger than the original one. But the size of the whole section had to stay unchanged, otherwise you'll get a brick.
    The full list of the tables in the POST module:
    Code:
    FACS
    SLIC
    DBGP
    HPET
    APIC
    MCFG
    TCPA
    FACP
    FACP (repeated)
    RSDT
    XSDT
    I would gladly sacrifice one of them like DBGP (table for debugging port) which seems to be not used at all, but just required by Windows specification;
    TCPA which is used for the trusted platform module (Fingerprint sensor);
    Or SLIC which is a pointless thing already I guess.
    Deletion of any of them prevents OS from boot for obvious reasons. Because routines that map them into system memory have to be edited or removed completely.
    But the best case is to extend the location of the whole section with all the tables. I've already tried out the modded APIC table, it didn't brick the Dragon so I assume it is a working table.

GPU mod
    I've done some research regarding the FX3700 mod. I've just come across this post.
    The most important part is:
    It explains why vBIOS from Lenovo's FX3700 worked out in some way back then. The HP version has some lockdown mechanism that doesn't let you use the card in a different laptop other than 8730w. As he said, it just doesn't POST, this is why the Dragon couldn't POST with the vBIOS from HP. The question is why the Lenovo vBIOS outputs defects even though the hardware (GPU and vRAM) is completely the same for HP and Lenovo versions. I assume that HP version would work fine, we just need to find the lockdown routine and disable it in the vBIOS.

All of this requires more time. The worst thing for me is that it seems like I have to study assembler to understand how it all can be done.

Attached Files:

9. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow. Incredibly fine work, remdale.

It so happens that the 3700M that I bought a few years ago for this project is the Lenovo variation, because I had read that it was less restrictive. Also, the two cards are different in minor ways, that seems to suggest that there are a couple of extra capacitors on the Lenovo version.

This is important progress. Really important progress!

10. remdale

Reputations:
    Lenovo version requires a different power configuration in terms of capacitors and resistors around the MXM slot. So I assume that the HP version would fit the best as 8730w and the Dragon have everything the same there except for additional 2.5v power and 1 resistor on AC_BATT# pin.