*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, the V3 has the decompression option built-in. Here you go:
    ADDCC, Awesome Dirty Do Checksum Checker v3 (HP Compaq BIOS Decompresser).7z

You can also use HPUnpack to unpack all modules in individual files:
    HPUnpack v1.0.0.0.7z

Think that is the 'standalone tool' referred to in the V3 manual; it does the same thing as ADDCC when you untick the 'Delete unnecessary' box first and then hit 'Decompress BIOS':

[​IMG]

I've used these to extract edids and vbios oproms from a HDX 9000 bios. Can't remember why though, but it should be somewhere in this thread.

Dominick_7 and triturbo like this.
  2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, will try to make a deeper search
    It can't work with the Dragon's BIOS due to different offsets + I couldn't compress unaltered modules back without having their size changed. That's weird.
    Can you explain more about the decompression algorithm?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I somehow think that the so-called Oxford vaccine will work. The academics at Oxford have been successful in producing other vaccines expeditiously, using advanced technology. They have partnered with AstraZeneca as well as the Serum Institute in India to produce it. These commitments would be unlikely if Oxford was shooting blanks, and upbeat statements by some of the researchers at Oxford, as well as the results achieved with monkeys, are all promising.

Now if only Oxford could work on the GPU upgrade… I'll see if I can put them in touch with rendale.

4. remdale

Reputations:
    I'm talking to a guy on win-raid forum, he recommended some people who could make a tool for us. But right now we are trying to figure things out on how hpunpack does its job. But I'll be able to get to the Dragon in around 2 weeks to check the that out.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  5. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I appreciate all you do, reamdale.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  6. remdale

Reputations:
    I hope it will work out

Dominick_7 likes this.
  7. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    any body had problems with wifi connections with intel (r) wireless wifi link 4965AGN dropping out when using windows 10 64 bitt have to use trouble shooter to connect some of the time, sometimes when I boot up it connects and sometimes it will not,i did not have this problem in windows 7 only w 10 ???

8. J1O1H1N1F32

J1O1H1N1F32 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All

I originally purchased my HDX9200 back in '08 and it was waiting for me when I returned home from my tour in Iraq. Over the next few years it served as a portable gaming rig for me and a community theater for my fellow servicemen and women on my second tour of duty. It was my main form of entertainment when I left the military in 2010. Minor glitches here and there but no major issues until 2014.

Fans turn on and spin, screen lights up, buttons work, drives boot up but nothing comes on the screen not even the HP Logo. It wont even post so I cant get into the BIOS. Only things I've ever upgraded were the RAM and the OS to Windows 7 when it was working.

In 2014 I built a Desktop gaming rig (which I still use and have upgraded obviously) and basically shelved the Dragon only to tinker with it annually to try and fix the issue. I've lurked the threads for YEARs back when the front page links used to work lol and even in the Part 1 version of this thread.

I could never get rid of the Dragon because of the sentimental value but I hate seeing it just sit in its Dicota case. Especially when I know it would make a killer Linux machine for Pop Os or at least a beastly replacement for my current cheap Lenovo Yoga.

Ive tried everything on the front page in relation to trying to flash the BIOS with a portable USB. I've removed the MOBO battery and cleaned out the case. I've Reseated the RAM (Powered it on in both slots and with one removed) 3 million times and every year for the last 6 years I've removed the 6 cell battery, shut it off and plugged in the AC to no avail. I should mention I still have the original 180 Watt cable but it no longer functions so I've used an 120 watt since 2011. I was still able to game with the 120 watt and view content with a rare BSOD every now and then under a heavy workload so I don't think that's the issue.

The Virus has given me some time to really focus on getting my baby back up to snuff. I've gotten my moneys worth from her (4 grand spec'd out originally) but I'm not ready to say goodbye. Please help.

9. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

when you say the screen goes white nothing else have you had anything else like ;lines or odd colour flashing it looks like from what you saying its a possibility its your graphics card is failing this can be baked which is a no cost fix details are on page one ,I had this problem with one of my dragons a few years back fixed it and it still running ok now. plus if you get it going ok I would upgrade to the original power adaptor 180watt 19v 9.1/2 amp

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  10. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All the freaking time. Some days it will work for hours with no problem, on other days It won't stay operating for 10 min, before I have to disable and reinable the wireless card. Makes me want to go back to win 7 so bad sometimes. Two days ago I was resetting the thing 4 times an hour at least 16 times before I gave up on using it for anything.