*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. sonic.screwdriver

sonic.screwdriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so I bought one of these on ebay BCM943460MC but it looks like its a Mac wifi card and didn't think about drivers to get it to work in Windows.

2. Thorapio

Thorapio Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! First of all, I wanna say this lounge is awesome!

Here's my situation: I have inherited a HDX9000 from my granpa and I was looking for upgrade it a little bit.

I looked at the specs manual and decided to buy this RAM modules from Amazon:

Memoria SODIMM para portátiles (4 GB, 2 x 2 GB, DDR2, 667 MHz, PC2-5300, PC2-5400, 200 pines)

Yesterday I installed them and now the pc doesn't run... I mean, nothing is displayed at the screen, not even the first HP logo screen.

Should I do something more for install the RAM modules right? Maybe this RAM is not supported? I don't know what is wrong...

Thanks to all, I've read about 20 pages of this thread and you give me a lot of ideas for future upgrades!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  3. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just ask the seller to send you Windows drivers. They report it to work under Windows.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...x3-Wireless-Mini-PCIe-WiFi-card-/283461269437
    Or search the web by VID and PID
    Maybe there's something wrong with RAM. Are you sure the laptop is working at all?
    I would recommend you to get 2x4GB

Thorapio likes this.
  4. Thorapio

Thorapio Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I've been using it last month without any problem, and after install the new RAM, I removed it and re-install the original modules and it works without problem. I tried also alternating one old module with one new and pc runs but doesn't load windows. I think the new modules are ok, but I'm going to replace them anyway just in case.

About buying 2x4gb, the SO is 32 bits and I don't have a legal copy of any windows 64 bits. If I get it to work with 2x2gb, maybe I'll try with other SO and 2x4gb in a while.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  5. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think the modules are dead. Probably the chip configuration is wrong for the Dragon. But I couldn't any datasheet for those chips to check that out.
    Try to find a local seller and check if new modules will work before the actual purchase.

6. Thorapio

Thorapio Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I also think something is wrong with the configuration. I'm going to request the refund and try with other brands. And thanks for the advice, definetly I'll find a local seller!

7. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Whatever you decide to replace the modules with get 2x4GB RAM, nothing less. It makes a big difference when you run memory hogging apps or multitask a lot. If you're using a 32-bit OS the additional RAM won't be utilized but you're going to upgrade to a 64-bit OS one day anyway, so it still makes sense to purchase 8GB. Might as well purchase the full supported memory now. Also, upgrade your OS to 64-bit ASAP.

8. Thorapio

Thorapio Newbie

Reputations:
    I apreciate the advice. Right now, the price of 2x2gb modules is near to 20$, and I haven't found 2x4gb modules under 130$. Also, if I want 2x4gb to be useful, maybe I'll have to buy a licensed Windows 64bits, a better CPU, etc. It's not just about the OS, it's also for the money...

Nevertheless, I'll study all these upgrades and probably I'll end up doing it, but afirst of all I would rather know if my Dragon will accept a simple RAM change :vbfrown::vbconfused:

9. slot

slot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where can I buy the 9000 hdx screen bezel?
    Thank you

10. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020