*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

if you are running w7 and all the drivers installed your dragon is working just the graphic driver is playing up and its hanging down load 257.21 graphic driver on page one on this form and see if that sorts your problem then proceed to the next step below w10 will keep all your drivers and it should work like clockwork

if you have a problem getting updates when your running w10 download this tool and it should fix it

Right click your desktop, select Nvidia Control panel. Under 3D Settings\Manage 3D Settings scroll down to Power Management Mode and set it to Prefer Maximum Performance. Now in the next tab over, Program Settings, make sure that each program is also set the same (either as 'Use Global Setting' or 'Prefer Maximum Performance'). If you don't see a program listed, you will have to add it and make sure that it too is set to 'Use Global Setting' or 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Though it is better to set to Prefer Maximum Performance in case Windows updates the driver in another build or update.

Note though, that setting this mode in Windows 10 results in increased fan RPMS. Similar to the fan noise you would hear if you were in dual screen output mode. And temps will rise to the low 50's or so.

ok 2.0 send me this and it works

What I've done is to change the Nvidia settings in Win7 before doing an upgrade install to win 10. Even though the settings might be reset to default adaptive after WIN10 installs its own default Nvidia driver, it gives plenty of time to change them to prefer max performance without incurring a crash. One other tip before doing the upgrade install is to reduce the number of background programs you have running, especially any 3rd party anti-virus programs. Also anything the runs in the tray that is third party.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. Hristomir Hristov

Hristomir Hristov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again!
    Anyone have an idea where I can buy a cheap battery for my 9200 - at least half working?
    It may not be new!
    I may also need plastics for the bottom - all lids!
    Ideas, suggestions, links?
    I can receive in Finland and Bulgaria!

3. kimutler

Reputations:

your best bet is to look on ebay I think you are best to use the mains for this laptop as I have 3 battery's in new condition and you would be lucky to get just over a hour use out of one, my advice is to not buy a used one it wont last long before it fails given the age of them (10 years old) plus if you do decide to buy one DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE LAPTOP when on the mains as you can damage it .over time

4. Hristomir Hristov

Reputations:
    Thank you!
    I look at ebay and wherever you go, but the new ones are at a terrible price.
    I look constantly, but so far nothing satisfactory.
    I asked here because you may know the site or any other source.

5. kimutler

Reputations:
    if you post a picture of what is missing I have a dig in my computer parts bag of dragon parts and see what I have as there is a few plastic covers I wont need if you are willing to pay the postage you can have them I look tomorrow and let you kinow

6. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As a general rule of thumb, you're correct. In the case of many laptops, it's best not to leave the battery when under external power. My practice with the three HDX 18 laptops I've used since 2008 is to never remove the battery. The batteries have lasted well over half a decade before weakening, and I believe I still have one or two originals that carry a charge for at least an hour with very light usage. The HDX 18 is a completely different laptop though. It's very well made and recall someone telling me these machines were designed for this kind of operation in mind.

I don't know for certain if the battery in the Dragon may become damaged when left inside with external power, but caution is well advised. I don't remove the batteries on my two Dragons because they carry very little charge as they are and don't run them on battery power anyway. I should remove them permanently to get rid of unnecessary weight. If there ever was a bane to these machines it's definitely the weight.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  7. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Luckily my Dell M6400 has a combination of FN+F2 to disable battery charge. Wish all laptops had that feature
    You can try replacing the original 2600mAh cells with 3400mAh. Never done that before though

8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The HDX 18 must have that feature as a technician once told me, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use 12-year old batteries with a Q9000 and 18.4" display for over an hour despite never having removed them. Now I don't know about the Dragon, but from what I've gathered in this thread even when it was new the Dragon didn't have great battery time. I'm going to remove the Dragon battery and hope the screen won't make the machine too top-heavy when it's out.

9. Hristomir Hristov

Reputations:
    I have no lids. None of these below. I can give 2 shipping addresses. In Bulgaria and Finland.

10. kimutler

Reputations:
    I am talking about the laptops on this form (dragons) i had 30 plus of them and every one of them the battery was dune except for 3 of them and that was because the owner charge them and removed them, when using the mains most of the time ,

I just have to check what I have and get back to you as been working away

yes there was a guy on here 2 or 3 years back who posted pictures of doing that he had the right tools for he job which made it a lot easyer to do, you had to be carful how you opened the battery case if my memory serves me right