*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what you mean.

He was for a short time a forum member who reported that he had been able to install the Quadro in the Dragon, with 75% success. I say that because he apparently got the card to work, with normal desktop showing, but the display was somewhat dull.

I was also considering sending my Dragon to him, but I wanted to see how successful he was in the end. When he discovered the fact of the card sending a 6 bit output to an 8-bit display, I tried to help by contacting various parties. They asked for information from him, but he never sent the requested information.

The technician at Eurocom pointed out that if a single pair of wires in the LVDS cable was inverted, between send and receive, that that would indeed cause the bit rate to lower.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So that was just a guess. As far as your remember, I compared both cards' interface pinout, it's identical. I would like to know why they thought it was different, but it seems there's no way to get the answer. He probably messed up somewhere.
    Remember you told me some HP support member told you that some guy successfully installed FX3700M? Perhaps that person was talking about the guy from ITE?

3. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    I thought we were still talking about the ITE guy.

Yes, I spoke with an HP tech in Canada in 2009 or 2010 who personally knew someone who successfully installed the 3700M, which is why I was always more optimistic about that card than the 280M. Believe me, I pressed him to give me more information, but a lot of these guys are squirrely about modding or giving out info that could be considered proprietary.

I even contacted Rahul Sood, who sold his company, Voodoo Computers, to HP, and joined HP just as the Dragon was being designed. He would've known the ins and outs of the Dragon, but he shut up like a clam.

Another thing I recall about the ITE guy, was that he supposedly got the card working when he inverted or reversed the LVDS cable. Somehow that struck me intuitively as credible, even if the the result still had the color bit mismatch. It also seems to tie in in some respect with what the Eurocom guy was saying.

4. remdale

Reputations:
    Yeah, I remember that. I will check out the cost of developing the needed tool for us and let everybody know here. I just need to help that guy understand the BIOS structure somehow and then he will tell me the price.
    Just compression/decompression would be enough to keep things going and make his work as cheap as possible. As for paying for his job, I count on you guys because I'm doing this not just for myself. Actually, I've jumped off to using Dell M6400. But I'd like to finish the experiment with the Dragon to post everything here.

5. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Sounds entirely reasonable to me.

So glad you're on the team.

6. Hristomir Hristov

Hristomir Hristov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    I found an x9100 processor in my old parts.
    Will I have to do a socket mod ?!
    Better memory in this case will be ddr2 800MHz ?!
    Like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32817572705.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.816c2e0emdlN34
    Is this socket mod?
    fsb dounclock mod.jpg
    Is that all?

I got some photos from the laptop you asked for.
    1HDX2.jpg 1HDX3.jpg 1HDX4.jpg

However, I have not personally seen what the modification is.
    When I go to BG in a month and a half I will know for sure.
    I can't navigate these date labels.
    However, I realized that I have both types of motherboards for the model!

For use in computer models with ATI graphics 448145-001
    For use in computer models with either ATI or nVidia graphics 464591-001

Are there any other differences in motherboards besides what is written?
    I guess the one that is compatible with both video cards is better?
    Is there a different bios mod for the X9100 - link please?

7. sonic.screwdriver

sonic.screwdriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got another wifi card to work. The only one I had available to test with was half height so I couldn't mount it or connect the wifi leads. But it did work. I'm going to look into a full size card that has 802.11ac. And I found out that the bluetooth is separate from the wifi card. Newer cards tend to have both.

Attached Files:

8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I believe the socket mod for the X9100 originally posted by RickiBerlin is the following... https://s583.photobucket.com/user/DDerek20/media/socketmod266to200_zpsb6c5f533.png.html

Not sure what mod it is you posted, but don't do anything before you get additional confirmation from others more knowledgeable about this mod than we are. You're lucky to have found an X9100 in your parts collection, still waiting for mine.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  9. remdale

Reputations:
    Me too :)
    By the way, do you have 1920x1200 original Dragon wallpapers?
    I think you don't need to do the socket mod at all. Just install x9100 and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, you can try to connect both ends of R227 by soldering a small wire.
    The Dragon cannot support both video cards at the same because only 1 version of video BIOS is stored in system BIOS. You need to flash BIOS containing the vBIOS of the card you want to use. Apart from that, additional power source needs to be attached to nvidia cards if you want to use them with ATI versions of the Dragon.
    You've got bluetooth as a separate module in the Dragon which you can turn off with the touch panel. But I'm not sure if you can switch it off when having it integrated on the wifi card.

10. remdale

Reputations:
    BCM70015 CrystalHD card doesn't work well. Perhaps it's faulty, but I don't think so. When opening video in Media Player Home Classic with the decoder enabled, the initial video resolution gets changed for an unknown reason. It happens the same on both laptops. But I suppose it's a useless thing for the Dragon because basically 1080p BD videos load my X9100 (not overclocked) for less than 5%. But that's only if the video codec is H264 L4.2 or less. When playing L5.0 BD videos, the CPU load gets up to around 55%. But CrystalHD supports H264 up to L4.2 only, so it cannot play L5.0