*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Hristomir Hristov

Hristomir Hristov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I remember the timing was 6-6-6-6-something
    As far as I remember, it doesn't matter what timings you are looking for. The Dragon will set its own 5-5-5-15 for 667MHz

This means that the latencies and times will be as good as possible if I install a memory that can support them - designed for higher frequency and higher levels in general?!?
    Like ddr2 800mhz?!?

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    DDR2-800 will be downclocked to 667. There's no support for 800 unless you do FSB overclock.

PS. If you can't understand something, I can explain in Russian if you can speak it :)

3. sonic.screwdriver

sonic.screwdriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought memory timings were fixed on the stick of ram not set by the computer. That's why it's listed on the description for ram.

Also since I've been using my Dragon again I realize my wifi isn't very stable. It'll take a couple reboots to connect to wifi successfully. What are the suggestions to upgrade wifi chips? Will that improve stability?

Also also sometimes when I boot up I get a constant device disconnecting sound that goes away with a reboot. That's a strange one

4. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Regarding the FSB OC in light of the X9100 CPU I'm awaiting, how is your motherboard modification different than the socket mod mentioned on page1? The socket mod without soldering looks simple enough if it does the same job. There were several people that posted about successful X9100 OC to over 4GHz stable speeds using this mod.

5. remdale

Reputations:
    The Dragon forces its own settings. But as the highest supported latency is CL5, you can't go beyond that.
    Try to reinstall the OS. If it doesn't help, replace the wifi card and see how it will go.
    That's a mod for downlocking FSB. I don't see any point in doing that.

6. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is intended to support the 1066MHz FSB processors, but if your objective is to increase FSB performance I guess there is no point. My question is how will stability be affected by OC the FSB? One person commented their experience resulted in a less stable system. Is yours 100% stable?

7. remdale

Reputations:
    No effect at all if you raise up the needed voltages to the point when the system becomes stable. I've reached stability by increasing RAM voltage as it got overclocked too. I don't remember if I raised voltage for the north bridge though. I didn't make notes about that, so need to check that up. If it's needed, then you should think of increasing heat conductivity for the north bridge as it will get hotter.

By the way, I was talking about loading a custom APIC table during OS boot. It's possible for DSDT, but not for APIC. So I contacted one person who could develop a tool we need. He will look through the manual for the utility called Awesome Dirty Do Checksum Checker as the compression method is very well described there and will let me know of how much it would cost.

8. sonic.screwdriver

Reputations:
    So I did the bios update listed on the first post. How do I know it worked and might as well try over clocking but I'm not quite sure how it works on the dragon. I'll have to look into WiFi cards now too. I could try reinstalling windows but 802.11n is still kinda slow

9. remdale

Reputations:
    You can go for Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300 if you like. Just put it in and see if the Dragon accepts the card. If so, the update has worked out. If you are using a non-extreme CPU, you should notice that the max multiplier has gone up a little.

10. sonic.screwdriver

Reputations:
    Oh can I not just use any mpcie wifi wifi card?
    And do I have to do any special overclocking to see the multiplier go up? I didn't see any new options in bios