*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  2. Hristomir Hristov

Hristomir Hristov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    I came across two old 20inch dragons.
    I'm thinking of getting one of the two. Until now, I have not owned one.
    So I need a lot of information.
    I read, I read, I read! My eyes ached. 1016 pages - I couldn't read half as well.
    First page links don't work in most cases.
    So I will ask!
    My laptop is 9200 with Ati graphics.
    How many modbios are there?
    What are the differences if there are more than one!
    How do I process the motherboard for C2Q processors?
    Can I put in better, quieter fans?
    Which RAM memory model is the best?
    What is the most efficient wireless card?
    Can I install ssd in msata slots?
    Does it matter what hdd or ssd I choose, both in size and manufacturer?
    How does a laptop handle hard drives in RAID?
    Has anyone found a way to install a better lcd panel?

3. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ^ Hristomir, regarding the quad-core question, no one to my knowledge has made a quad fully function after all these years. This laptop requires a lot of work to make the quad processors compatible and it might never happen, especially now that these machines are very old and fewer people modding them. Remdale is the most recent person endeavoring to make the quads work. He also successfully completed an LCD backlight upgrade on the panel; it now has led backlights. Works fine from what I understand. He has the version with WUXGA display. You really don't need anything better than a HDX Dragon with WUXGA panel if you can find one. My original Dragon has the WSXGA+ display and recently found one with the WUXGA screen, which I much prefer. So, that is my main advice regarding the display.

Concerning hard drives, I have two Samsung 512GB 860 EVO SSDs in my machine. So, adding the newest SSDs shouldn't be a problem although the legacy interface might pose a bottleneck in some situations. My drives are very fast but most of my work is not disk-intensive anyway. I'm not using RAID either. In any case, good luck in your purchase, whichever one you get. They are great machines despite the age. If you need something quasi-portable with an extra large display, the Dragon is still as good as it gets, IMO.

4. Hristomir Hristov

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was left with the impression that there were more than one bios.
    Is that so?
    I'm still interested in the most productive wireless card.
    I bought both laptops.
    1. No remote, no hard drives, no RAM, no charger, no battery, no wireless card,no covers on the bottom.
    There is a full HD panel.
    The rest is available and working.
    Not with me. It is in Bulgaria.
    I don't know what the video card and processor is, what the bottom is.
    A friend tests him, but he does not understand such work, his condition is visually b +.
    I'll look it up when April comes home. I am now in Finland.
    I may be lucky with this purchase, I don't know, but it cost me about 20 Euros with delivery.

2. I bought it here from Finland.
    There is no screen, no keyboard, no covers on the bottom, no battery, but everything else is in stock and it works - hdd x 2 + charger.
    Condition B.
    It was more expensive, 55 euros.
    I already disassembled the second one and cleaned it. I found that it was never disassembled. His thermal paste was completely dry. The fans are clogged to the brim with dust. Only visible in gray.
    Some of his bolts, looked like they were glued.
    Now I am waiting for my vacation eagerly to come back to Bulgaria, gather them both and dismantle them.

5. Hristomir Hristov

Reputations:
    I guess you already understand that I trust Google translator because I don't speak English very well.
    Please excuse me for this and take note as you read.
    Now I need the following things:
    1- The best processor. / maybe x9000? /
    2- Two hard drives in RAID / just for experiment /.
    Maybe two lower-class SSDs in RAID.
    Maybe Samsung in RAPID MOD?
    How does Samsung perform in this mode - does anyone know the differences?
    3 - RAM 8GB 2x4 - but which one will have the best performance? For ddr2 I know that Samsung are very good, but for 800MHz! I don't know about the other frequencies - latency, speed ...?!
    4 - I need lids for the bottom - I don't have any!
    Does anyone sell cheaply to Finland?
    5 - New wireless card. As efficient as possible. I'm looking for an efficiency! - Suggestions?
    6 - New battery!
    At least compatible!
    Where can I find it?
    Or will I have to do it myself?

Up to here with the must-haves! - at least for those I think of right now.
    I'll look for more, but for tomorrow, I'll go to bed now.

I look forward to your advice!

6. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apollo-HDX:

Do you happen to know the date of manufacture of your Dragon with the WUXGA screen?

7. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

ebay is your best bet for the parts !!! but some of the sellers are greedy so shop around for the best prices,if you lived in the uk I could helped you with some of parts as now I know I wont be needing them

8. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry to be a bother with this, but does anyone know where I can find the part number for the bass speaker, it sounds like the cone has ripped on mine and the audio is now terrible. (for some odd reason the HP parts list skips the bass speaker, 22 to 24 no 23. or if there's a compatible replacement?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  9. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, the BIOS on my first HDX (F.40) is different from the one in my second HDX (F.41). I'm not sure there is any benefit flashing the BIOS unless you have a non-Extreme processor. I left the BIOS on both machines as they are.
    The full HD panel version is WUXGA (1920x1200).
    From what I'm understanding is you bought two HDX laptops in various states of disassembly to produce one completely functioning machine? Interesting; it looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. I completely disassembled my first HDX last winter to upgrade the processor and do some much needed cleaning/maintenance. I'm NOT looking forward to the same ordeal for my second machine when my new processor arrives. But, it's better than swapping processors from both machines which would have been twice the work!
    No problem.
    The X9000 is the best processor overall. It's the highest performing processor that uses the stock FSB speed. It has more cache than the X7900 and runs cooler, thus more OC headroom. With this generation of Intel processors the only mobile CPUs that were better were the Extreme Quad-cores, but as I mentioned earlier they are not compatible, so try to find an X9000 if you can. You'll be glad you did.
    I can't answer the RAID question unfortunately, but I have Samsung Rapid Mode enabled and it works. For my uses however, I can't really tell the difference. Once you install an SSD anything else done to the storage system on these laptops is of minimal additional improvement truly. Just get any quality SSD and you'll be fine.
    Where do I look for this info? It's not on the underside from what I can see. The year mentioned in the BIOS is 2010, however, that may not be the year of the laptop's manufacture. It has an ATI video chip and not nVidia, which is not as common with the WUXGA versions apparently.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  10. sonic.screwdriver

sonic.screwdriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered 8gb of ram for mine. Komputerbay 667MHz PC2-5300 on Amazon as it was the cheapest I could find and had better timings than the Crucial on Newegg. First page of this lists the hardware upgrades that can be made and it says 800MHz will be downclocked to 667. Also put in an offer for a uj-220 blu-ray drive on Ebay.

On a side note I'd like to find another one of these in the states. I bought mine new and didn't realize what it would become. Almost feels like how the Delorean group tracks down each VIN to have a record of where they are and the sate they're in.