*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cool and crazy stuff:D
    Real modder!

triturbo likes this.
  2. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Outstanding! Seriously well done!

triturbo likes this.
  3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great the way he handled the hardware. It shows you the virtue of real manual dexterity.

Reminded me of the time I saw a gifted Mexican stage magician whose expertise was cards. I sat 15 feet away from him, and he did things with that stupid pack of cards that exceeded anything Dave Copperfield could do. It was all in the hands.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    triturbo and 2.0 like this.
  4. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's time to start a forum Part 3 for windows 10 installations, problems and solutions.

5. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not sure, I got a new dell with an I5 chip, m2 hard drive and 32gb Ram, and it doesn't seem to work any faster or better than the Dragon with 8gb and the x9000 chip

6. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Maybe, especially now that those still running a HDX will be transitioning to Win10 with support dropped for Win 7.

You're right. The idea of a motherboard swap in is not as viable as it may seem. To be worthwhile, not only will a beefy CPU be needed but also a dedicated DX12 GPU. Those kinds of mobos simply wont fit. There's a host of other problems besides fitment without making the Dragon look like a Franken-Dragon (tm). I looked into it a while back and it's just not doable - a least not to my liking.

7. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, when another forum member looked into it there were a few UltraBooks that had powerful CPU and GPUs on motherboards that were smaller than the HDX' s.

I agree with you, that the aesthetics of the machine should not be changed, but a small, capable motherboard wouldn't change those aesthetics.

I belonged to the ThinkPad forum for years, and there were some amazing mods, including motherboard swaps that looked as if they came out of the factory.

At any rate, the 3700M upgrade would cheer me up, and could be done in the doctor's office. No OR needed.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've ordered an X9100 and will post about the upgrade. Still not sure if I'll do the FSB mod. Even if I succeed, I can't ensure that my system will be stable no matter what I throw at it. This is one of the reasons why I looked for another HDX aside from wanting the WUXGA panel. The other system wasn't always stable in graphics applications. With everything else it was fine, but the occasional video driver crash was getting very annoying. I'd like this system to be as stable as possible.

Very nice cooling mod. Were you using ThrottleStop? My X9000 was stable at close to stock voltage up to 3.6GHz if I recall. It could have gone further but this being a laptop cooling is a major concern and didn't want to push it. I was using it at 3.4GHz without voltage increase. We'll see what the X9100 can do.

An i7 CPU would probably be noticeable. I guess it depends what you're doing with your laptop. For me, the greater RAM amount would make more difference than the newer processor.

Not to mention lose some of the weight. I remember removing the motherboard last winter for the X9000 upgrade and was surprised at the weight of it. Some of the new laptops weigh nothing and their motherboards must be gossamer light.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  9. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry, I forgot to mention a couple of things.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-lounge-part-2.515212/page-1004#post-10907637
    Removing R520 and using it for hooking up 1 wire from VCCP to CPU_BSEL1 on the north bridge's side is not enough. There's VCCP attached through R227 to the CPU_BSEL1 which will be forcing the FSB to work at 800 anyway. So just remove R227, it should not affect anything if you decide to stay at 800.
    As for this, you will need to raise the RAM voltage to around 1.97v by replacing R148 with 48-50 kOhm
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-lounge-part-2.515212/page-1004#post-10908368
    Flashing RAM is optional.

10. sonic.screwdriver

sonic.screwdriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone know where to get drivers for these?

Edit: found the sd card reader drivers, and a driver for the avertv but don't know how to test it yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020