*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My Dragon is running that one. It's faster for sure. Just need to do BCLK mod for the chipset.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-lounge-part-2.515212/page-995#post-10884509
    Of course
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-lounge-part-2.515212/page-995#post-10884930
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-lounge-part-2.515212/page-996#post-10885403

2. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK, the BCLK mod is for the higher FSB support. What will happen if I use that CPU as is if I'm not interested in increasing bus speed? I'd prefer not to solder anything if I can avoid it. Not very experienced with that.

3. remdale

Reputations:
    Never tried X9100 running at 800, so I cannot say how much worse it's gonna perform.

4. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Why would it perform worse than an X9000? All my interest lies with the possibility of greater OC potential since these chips are binned at higher clock frequencies. I don't really want to mess with the FSB if it requires modifying the motherboard. Last time I tried that with another system I nearly screwed up. The most I ever did was the BSEL mod on the desktop/server Core 2 Quads, which accomplished the same thing. There was no risk doing that mod and wish it was that easy with the mobiles.

The X9100 has an unlocked multiplier and running it at 800MHz should be OK. If there's no difference in OC potential over the X9000, then I'll either find another X9000 or just stay with the X7900.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. remdale

Reputations:
    I mean I don't know how much worse it would perform at 800 compared to 1066.
    Nothing difficult there. Just move 1 resistor slightly and connect a small wire to a pin of 1 diode. That's it. Everything is shown on the picture

6. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For memory intensive situations the 1066MHz FSB is certainly better than 800MHz. I would definitely love to have that mod upgrade.

I am tempted. Maybe I'll try it on the first Dragon I found last year with the WSXGA+ display. I won't be working on it much now and will be used mostly for spare parts, backup or troubleshooting. I think it has a bad video chip because splice tools and other types of 'line' tools that select sections of images cause driver crashes. So, I'm less concerned in the event something goes wrong. If I'm successful, then I could attempt it on the WUXGA unit.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    Feel free to PM me if you doubt anything

8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK, I will first need to find an X9100 processor. Thank you.

Another thing I want to do is swap the display bezels of both machines because the new one I acquired has a crack and the other one is in much better shape. I recall you also did a backlight upgrade so you've already been through the display disassembly process. In order to change the bezel, are the only screws I need to remove the ones located behind the rubber pads?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  9. remdale

Reputations:
    Yes, but there are 2 behind the two stickers in the lower corners as well. Those stickers are very easy to break if you bend them to much. And don't forget about 2 screws on the back side of the screen hidden behind the rubber things too. Those are hard to get. You would need a short screwdriver or a so called flexible extension shaft like the one in this set (it's on the right next to the screwdriver)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-...-Repair-Tools-Multi-function-SED/362835815476

10. jakubd

jakubd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Remember you have the official service guide from HP still available online on hp.com. It covers the screen disassembly too.