*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it's good that you bring up the ThinkPad community,1610ftw,
    as they have been making extraordinary mods (so-called Franken pads) for years.

2. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which connector are you talking about? You have many options which are VGA, DVI or HDMI.
    I believe that adapter is the only one available on the market. You can remove unused connectors from the board if you like.
    Those are gonna be pain in the ass you know. There's no chance for using the same touch bar if you do the swap. But do you really need IR?

3. sonic.screwdriver

sonic.screwdriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Remdale said something about an LVDS output. I assumed that's the name of the specific motherboard connector for this display. That's also why I ask about a smaller version of the adapter. You could always use the HDMI/DP out of a newer mobo.

Edit: I don't know how to mention/@ people here

4. remdale

Reputations:
    That's a 8bit interface on many displays which connects inside laptops. That's why you need that converter to be able to use external connection to that screen
    Just copy the name and paste in the text field. This is how I do this

5. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

It has been a long time that I haven't visited this thread! I recently acquired another Dragon and have a few questions. This model has the WUXGA screen unlike the one I found last year, which is what I originally wanted and it's a beaut. However, it is also equipped with an ATI video chip. I was under the impression all the WUXGA Dragons were powered by nVidia. Guess I was mistaken. No biggie, any video from this period is long obsolete anyway but was surprised. At least the transfer of my SSD from one system to the other was painless without need for a driver uninstall/installation routine.

Couple of minor issues with this machine I found so far. First, time is not kept when the machine is off. I assume this is due to a dead CMOS battery. Second, just like my first Dragon, the right side panel LEDs do not turn on. Seems to be a common problem. The issue went away when I upgraded the CPU on my first machine. Since everything needs to be removed I must have done something right to get all the lights operating. I will remove the panel on this machine but would like to know if there's anything I need to look for specifically? Are there two cables for the panel lights or only one?

Last question is least important but I'll ask just the same. I upgraded my first Dragon from a lowly 1.7GHz CPU to an X9000. Big difference. This machine came equipped with an X7900 from the factory. Both CPUs are 2.8GHz stock and both are unlocked. However, the X9000 has a finer die process and runs cooler, plus there's more L1 cache and may have a better instruction set but not sure. Does it merit undergoing the insane amount of work to take apart two machines in order to swap processors? Will I see a significant performance increase from an X7900 to X9000 or will this be a wasteful undertaking? I'm intending to swap keyboards anyway, so some of the work will be done but removing two keyboards is a far simpler task than swapping CPUs!

6. remdale

Reputations:
    Just a suggestion. The previous owner might have made a screen/video card replacement before.
    I guess so too.
    The reason might be the cable. Check if all the contact pins on it are in good condition. If they are, check the power on it with a voltmeter and find the cause.
    Never used X7900. Maybe somebody else here can answer this question

7. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    The WUXGA screen came out when the ATI card was the only option available. Subsequently, I forget how many months later, the Nvidia 8800M GTS became an option.

You need a new CMOS battery but that requires full disassembly since the battery is located on the underside of the mobo. Also, a dead Li Ion battery can cause the same issue with some revisions of the mobo.

As for the touch panel, there's 4 cables. 1 for the LED touch panel, 1 for the fingerprint reader, 1 for the touch pad, 1 for the touch pad switch. See page 57 of the service manual.

As for the x7900 v x9000, not worth the swap unless you are already in there, say, to replace the CMOS battery. The difference in performance is negligible but as you said, the X9000 runs cooler. The X9000 can overclock a little higher depending on binning. But both can get up to 3.6Ghz.

8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick replies, remdale and 2.0, much appreciated!

I will definitely do the keyboard swap because the WSXGA+ machine has a custom keyboard I modified to my preferences. The 'new' WUXGA machine came with the standard US keyboard, while good enough I much prefer the large double row enter key since I do a lot of typing. At the same time I will check all the cables connected to the touch panel. If I can't get all the lights to work, I will just swap panels. There's definitely something wrong because not only are half the lights turned off but the touch panel is completely unresponsive. At this point in this product's life cycle, it pays to have another machine if only to use as a reservoir for replacement parts.

I had totally forgotten the CMOS battery is located on the reverse side of the motherboard. I only removed the board once last winter when I upgraded the CPU on my first machine and didn't take it apart again. Now, I'm facing the possibility of having to open not one but two of these monsters. I'll see how inconvenient resetting the time is. There's not many apps I regularly use that would be affected so I'm not compelled to do it immediately. I'm not sure if I'll also do the CPU swap. I sure wish I could upgrade to something truly significant like a quad-core. Then it would be absolutely worth it.

Remdale, I recall you were looking into quad compatibility last year, any progress in that area or did you abandon the mod possibility?

9. remdale

Reputations:
    In a slow progress. The main difficulty is replacing ACPI tables in BIOS modules. I couldn't compress them back after making changes.
    It requires an utility to do that. So if you are or if you know anybody with C/C++ skills, that would be an awesome help.

10. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The processor swap doesn't seem to be worth completely disassembling both machines, but what about getting an X9100 CPU? It has a different bus speed than the X9000 but would there be any advantage since it's a 3.06GHz rated processor? I'm thinking that I need to change the CMOS battery anyway, might as well replace the processor while I'm at it. This way I will only need to take apart one machine, and both machines will benefit from the cooler running 45nm process. Also, L2 cache is larger, not only L1. Just trying to see my best options.

No, unfortunately I'm not a programmer otherwise I would definitely help you. I thought there might also be some hardware modding required. Is that the only impediment to achieving compatibility?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020