*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    What are your Nvidia Power Management Mode set to in the Nvidia control Panel? Even after updates you have to be sure to set it to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' globally (Global Settings tab) and double check to make sure each individual program is set the same (Program Settings tab).

2. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    at this stage I running clone of my w7 64bit I got a update file from an engineer which i have used with a few dragons with the
    ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics HD2600XT card no problem running great. but f I try updating to w10 on the
    Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS .card it loads but then crashes and goes back to w7 is this the case that the only way is to do a clean install. I am nearly there don't get a chance to open Nvidia Power Management it was running after I loaded the app but as soon as I powered off and tried to reboot the black screen of death was looking at me I left it running hoping it would sort its self out after an hour no dice I had to clone from scratch and load w7 again .

3. 2.0

Reputations:
    What I've done is to change the Nvidia settings in Win7 before doing an upgrade install to win 10. Even though the settings might be reset to default adaptive after WIN10 installs its own default Nvidia driver, it gives plenty of time to change them to prefer max performance without incurring a crash. One other tip before doing the upgrade install is to reduce the number of background programs you have running, especially any 3rd party anti-virus programs. Also anything the runs in the tray that is third party.

The only issue I have is that the GPU fan runs at a somewhat higher RPM. The same RPM when you have a dual monitor setup.

4. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    aah ha. Internet Explorer and Firefox were set adaptive. I missed that one when setting it up the first time. Next issue I'm running into is the wireless adapter (still has factory unit) is disabled at start up until I reset it, and then randomly several times a day stops working until I reset it.

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    Not sure why it is starting up disabled. Capacitive touch panel might need to be reset. To do so, battery out, AC out, hold power button for 30 secs. Then plug in AC and boot up.

Also, in power management (right click power tray icon), then click advanced settings. Expand the Wireless Adapter Settings and set power saving mode to Maximum Performance. The under USB settings, USB Selective suspend, set to disable.

That might solve your wireless issue.

If not, you might need a driver for HP Quick Launch Buttons.

6. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    happy xmas & new year to every one on here

ok 2.0 looks like I got it working just as I had it with w7, the only thing that you don't get is sound with the built in tv ,no problems there as I don't use it when I loaded w10 upgrade I selected no updates first and it went like clockwork, thanks for your help looks like I got this laptop for a few more years to come.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    2.0 likes this.
  7. 2.0

Reputations:
    Glad you got it functioning.

Happy New Year!

kimutler likes this.
  8. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Happy New Year!
    I hope we will have more success with mods in 2020.

2.0 and kimutler like this.
  9. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Happy New Year to all the stalwarts on this thread! Here's hoping the new year brings greater goodness, and less meanness than the last!

Tiny Tim got walloped last year.

2.0 and kimutler like this.
  10. sonic.screwdriver

sonic.screwdriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok so I was looking at my HDX the other day and got to thinking. What if I gutted it and put in a newer laptop motherboard? It has a lot of space to work with, and new motherboards are smaller. It could work. Just need to figure out the monitor keyboard and mouse. The other ports just make little pigtail like extensions to the sides.

Darkitec and 1610ftw like this.