*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've just looked at our 8800 and figured out that there's no BIOS chip on it. There's AT88SC0808C which is a so-called 8Kbit crypto memory and it cannot be used for storing BIOS. The whole vBIOS is located in the BIOS of the Dragon.

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Of course that raises a thousand questions!

And it's interesting that in the case of the 8740W part of the Vbios is on the machine and part on the GPU. Yet the HP variant of the K5100M will not play in the 8740W, but the Dell or MSI version with full Vbios on board works easily.

3. remdale

Reputations:
    That's weird at least because sellers sell them as compatible with both HP and Dell so there should be no diffrence in their BIOS. But as I could see on different pictures, there are at least 2 versions of K5100M with different BIOS chips. The BIOS dump for HP is smaller than the other one for Dell and contains some strings like -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- .... -----END CERTIFICATE----- which makes me think of some kind of a unique key that looks indeed platform specific. I'm not 100% sure about that though.
    But again, this is not the case with the Dragon.

4. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    What I was wondering about is whether a GPU's Vbios can override whatever resident video data exists in the computer' s bios, as in the case of the 8740W where the Dell K5100M is able to supersede the small amount of Vbios data on the motherboard, and operate normally.

5. remdale

Reputations:
    It's possible, but I'm not sure of how it actually works.in the case of 8740W

6. remdale

Reputations:
    I was researching deeper into why the Dragon couldn't start when I flashed my BIOS with the modded APIC table. I'm sure everything could work out if I replaced the APIC table and 3700M's BIOS correctly. I relied on the software that was developed for 8710w. Its BIOS structure looks almost the same, but it's very platform specific. When I replaced the Dragon's POST module using the 8710w's BIOS file, I noticed that both its packed and unpacked sizes changed. So the module gets broken after getting repacked. Moreover, as the module's size gets changed, the next module's target address needs to be changed too. That's why my last mod didn't work out.
    Considering all of the above, a new software needs to be developed to replace BIOS modules. As I'm not skillful at programming, I'm asking for anybody's help to develop one. Otherwise, it will take me a plenty of time to finish the mod

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  7. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    It will be very difficult at this stage to find someone who can help you with that. The HDX is quite unique and quite old. If anything, check out the mydigiallife forums. There are coders skilled with BIOS programming there.

8. remdale

Reputations:
    I've done a deeper research and it seems like the space between each module is quite enough for our tasks. So there's no need in moving the address margins for modules. Just need to compress them correctly as decompression seems to be working fine in HPUnpack.
    Thanks, will ask for help there now.

By the way, there's a good but expensive way to have more than 8GB of RAM. By using a physical RAM disk like this (up to 32GB DDR2 ) or this (up to 64GB DDR3), those could be used for storing swap file.

9. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Brilliant observations, as usual, remdale.

10. Darkitec

Darkitec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well rats, Win 10 sort of works on the Dragon. the computer is sitting here running but I have nothing open (I'm currently working off another computer) and about 3 times a week, I get the Blue Screen of Death. what's really frustrating is there is a qr code shown on the screen, but it always goes away just shortly before I can open the code reader on my phone.