*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    remdale:

Any progress on the GPU?

Dominick_7 likes this.
  2. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nothing yet. I didn't have neither enough time nor any opportunity.
    Now as I'm back home, I can do the stuff on weekends. So I expect to post something by Monday.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  3. remdale

Reputations:
    It's taking me time to get this work out.
    After having analyzed the CpuPm SSDT table, I understood that I better off replacing CPU related ACPI tables with of 8730W where the full quad CPU support is implemented. Also it's easier to go that way instead of modifying Dragon's existing tables as I found it difficult to refer to a variable of CPU1 core from CPU2 and CPU3 cores. Whereas in 8730W it is already implemented.
    So now I'm working on replacing CPU related SSDT tables and some CPU related code in DSDT table.

Regarding FX3700.
    I found separate Nvidia and ATI SSDT tables in 8730W's BIOS. So I guess all the MXM structure stuff is ACPI related and can be inserted into the Dragon's BIOS too.
    More news later.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  4. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    You know that all these observations about the GPU intrigue me....:rolleyes:

Dominick_7 likes this.
  5. gmarchetto

gmarchetto Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, is there a way to make this laptop work with the latest build of Windows 10 (1903)?
    The problem is the Nvidia Graphic driver. With these laptop I normally use the sp46922 driver version from HP, but it crashes also with this one.
    Finally Windows update try to force the driver update to the latest version.

6. remdale

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, no success yet. It seems like if you attempt to change the size of the POST module (which is related to FX3700 mod and CPU related ACPI tables) or the checksum of any ACPI table, the Dragon refuses to boot. I wish I could have debugging tools to understand what's wrong...
    So I need more time

7. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Yes. Right click your desktop, select Nvidia Control panel. Under 3D Settings\Manage 3D Settings scroll down to Power Management Mode and set it to Prefer Maximum Performance. Now in the next tab over, Program Settings, make sure that each program is also set the same (either as 'Use Global Setting' or 'Prefer Maximum Performance'). If you don't see a program listed, you will have to add it and make sure that it too is set to 'Use Global Setting' or 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Though it is better to set to Prefer Maximum Performance in case Windows updates the driver in another build or update.

Note though, that setting this mode in Windows 10 results in increased fan RPMS. Similar to the fan noise you would hear if you were in dual screen output mode. And temps will rise to the low 50's or so.

NOTE: Updated 1st post of thread with this information for future reference.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  8. gmarchetto

gmarchetto Newbie

Reputations:
    Many thanks for this reply 2.0.
    Unfortunately every time I try to install the Nvidia driver (Sp46922 or by WIndows Update) the screen immediately comes black.
    In this way I am blocked and the only way to recover the system is to make a system restore.
    In the past I was able to install the sp46922 on Windows 10, probably it's a problem with the latest build.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  9. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    You don't have to install that driver (sp46922) anymore.

Use the one that comes with Win10 but follow the method above to make it work without powermizer issues. This way, when there's a new update pushed on you, you won't have any issues going forward.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  10. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Regarding GPU's, it's interesting to note that for those upgrading their HP 8740Ws that Kepler cards (e.g. K5100M) with a Dell Vbios work quite handily, whereas HP variants don't.

Apparently, HP in their pursuit of making everything proprietary, often puts part of the Vbios on the card, and part on the machine itself. That makes the cards specific to particular models, creating a challenge to install these cards on different models even within the same manufacturer's range.

So the HP GPU Vbioses are partial, whereas the later generation Dell GPUs put the entire Vbios on the card itself. Whether this might apply to the Dragon which is two years older than the 8740W is an open question.

I gleaned this information from the always insightful Triturbo.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Dominick_7 likes this.