*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
  2. marlopfer

marlopfer Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for everything, I will do the installation and I will be there

a greeting

3. marlopfer

marlopfer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, the update was a success, now that I have the F.40, is it much better to upgrade to F.41? or not worth it.
    I am also looking through E-bay to get an X9000 processor. I think that with that and maybe with an SSD disk, a significant improvement would be achieved in the noteboock.
    I have seen some photos on the internet that I think can help me change the processor. The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT, can you get any improvement with it?
    Thanks and best regards

4. 2.0

Reputations:
    Not worth F41.

X9000 can be overclocked using a program called ThrottleStop. You can overclock it to about 3.6ghz - 3.8ghz.

You can't get any improvement with the ATI version of the motherboard - the ATI 2600XT is the only option. You would have to switch to the Nvidia motherboard, get a 8800M GTS card and a new heatsink, but that will have some driver issues with Win10.

5. marlopfer

marlopfer Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response, I will install the processor and see how the operation turns out. I have resolved great doubts, I appreciate it
    Thank you very much and greetings

2.0 likes this.
  6. ncmurf00

ncmurf00 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good evening!
    I'm not sure if maybe I missed the post, but I've been following this forum for years.
    I've got a 20" HDX and LOVE it. It still outperforms many machines I use for work. I digress...

For the longest time, I've been really bummed about the graphics adapter not being compatible with Windows 10. I was preparing the laptop funeral and have been disappointingly shopping around. In desperation, I made one last ditch effort to upgrade. HOLY CRAP ... IT WORKED.
    I'm running off my HDX on Windows 10 right now.

The wireless got a bit flakey after the upgrade, but then I did the 1903 update (using a lan cable) and it's back to working again.
    I didn't do anything special or fancy, no bios mods or anything like that. Maybe MS finally decided to let them live?

Dominick_7 likes this.
  7. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No idea. But I'm gonna get back to FX3700 and quad mod in a week. I've studied ACPI specs so I hope it will go well this time.

8. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome ncmurf00, and thanks for your valuable post.

And welcome back remdale.

9. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks!
    @MobileArtist I'm glad you are still here with us!
    I've analyzed ACPI tables and understood that 2 more ACPI tables should be added for the other 2 cores. It's not just putting a couple more lines in the existing tables like it was for Lenovo T61.
    The only difficulty is how to add them to the list among the other tables.
    Another thing is IDE mode. I think UltraDMA can be set in DSDT, but it needs to be checked.
    More updates later

10. 2.0

Reputations:
    Yep, noticed that too. As long as you set manage 3D settings (in Nvidia Control Panel) to "prefer maximum performance" under power management mode, you shouldn't get any freezes or BSODs. Also make sure that most programs are also set the same under program settings in the 3D settings.

The side effect of Win 10 on the HDX is that the GPU fan will run higher at idle (not max, but higher than normal) as the GPU is always running on 1v on all pStates instead of .9v on the 1st 3 pStates. Haven't figured out a way around this. Played around with powermizer settings such as mid perf/ mid power save. But no dice. On thing I noticed is that if you pull the power cord out, when it goes to battery, the fan stops or spins at its lowest setting. But the problem is, it stays there and the GPU can climb into the 50's before the fan kicks up one notch which only brings temps down into the high 40's.