*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you ever heard of DDR2-1066?
    The man who sold me a working RAM told me about a guy who bought Patriot DDR2-1066 4GB for his laptop. I've heard of DDR2-1066 before, but never came it across. So asked for more details about that RAM. He said the module had Elpida memory chips, but he didn't tell me what was written on them. The RAM itself was reported to have been manufactured in 2014. So I searched the web and came across this article on the official website of Elpida.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20071215024107/http://www.elpida.com/en/news/2007/09-25.html
    They are talking of EDE2104ABSE and EDE2108ABSE that will support 1066MHz. But when I downloaded their datasheet, surprisingly I found out that there was nothing mentioned about the 1066MHz support. That's why that person couldn't get his RAM to work stable at 1066. He got BSODs. He said he got it to work stable when downclocked the memory to around 800MHz.
    This whole thing looks like a global scam to me. Patriot (and maybe some others) seem to have used the article of Eplida to sell 800MHz memory for a higher price.

2. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Been a while since I last posted... Lot's done on my machine but the main reason for this post is a problem I have been frequently experiencing. Whenever I use the crop tool on one of my photo management applications the video driver crashes. This also happened a few times with Photoshop's crop tool.

My Dragon has the ati video card and using v.8.970 driver but it also occurs with the MS certified drivers and doubt that is the problem. I'm using Win 7 Ultimate SP1.

Just wondering if video driver crashes are a common indication of a failing card, and how prevalent a problem that is with ati-powered Dragons. It's an issue that was present since I acquired the laptop. Is there any advice for testing the card providing the problem isn't software-related (a possibility)?

3. remdale

Reputations:
    I can only recommend you to ask somebody test this out for you. Since I'm using Nvidia, I cannot help you unfortunately. In my case, the cause for video driver crashes was broken RAM.

I've got a serious problem. The RAM in the first slot works fine, but if I move it to the second slot, it will throw errors. Moreover, it seems like if I move it back into the first slot, it will still be throwing errors (in one case) like it has been broken by the second slot. I don't if the RAM has really gotten broken or it's just a slot issue, but another RAM works better if I move it back into the first slot. I'm still researching this.
    Another thing, all of a sudden X9100 started to increase temps yesterday according to the fan behavior and the temps monitor. I was doing nothing, but the fan started to increase speed until it reached its max speed, but the airflow was cold, though the temps got quite high. Then the Dragon just shut down. I changed the thermal grease, but it didn't affect anything. I don't know why it happened, I spent 2 hours of playing the game a couple of days before and it was fine. Today it's fine again. I don't know if it has any relation to RAM, but this is weird.
    The nightmare goes on...

4. Jesse Livermore

Jesse Livermore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI E Ethernet controller has stopped working in my HDX 9000. After uninstalling the driver and reinstalling fresh ones from Marvell no luck. Is it possible to replace this part. Thank you

5. remdale

Reputations:
    Is it available in device manager? What status is displayed there?

6. Jesse Livermore

Reputations:
    It clearly is working properly. That is the status. However trouble shooting shows windows cant communicate with device {primary DNS server}

Attached Files:

7. remdale

Reputations:
    What did you do before the crash? That might be a possible reason

8. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    have you
    have you disconnect your power adaptor removed your battery then push the power button for 30 seconds then just connected your power adaptor it worked for me a few times !!!

9. Jesse Livermore

Reputations:
    The night before it was working perfectly, their may have been a VPN update, however I uninstalled the VPN and same error message.

10. Jesse Livermore

Reputations:
    I will try it out and repost later today..Thank you